Nick is a great drummer

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Perhaps on your 28th birthday you will listen to Piper at the Gates of Dawn and really enjoy it. A crazy and great album!! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Keith Jordan on Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jizhomer
Blade
Blade

Post by jizhomer »

But I digress!! Sorry :oops: . My point was meant to be, is Nick drumming at Pompeii good enough to get me into the early stuff? Should I rush out and get it? :)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

As a drummer myself, I was quite inspired indeed watching nick do his stuff. I used to play a straight, simple 4/4 beat!! I like to be creative around my drum kit now.

But in terms of getting into early Floyd, for me, it wasn't about the drumming. It was more to do with the atmospherics. The sounds they made. I mean, how can anybody not listen to Echoes and be taken away on a journey with it? It is long enough to give you time to relax and get into the swing of thought! It is atmospheric enough that ping from Rick. Lyrically and melodically it is fantastic. I think it is my second favourite Floyd song. My first being Comfortably Numb. But now I think I will swap those 2 around. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Time to listen to Echoes now!! :D
jizhomer
Blade
Blade

Post by jizhomer »

Echoes is indeed a very atmospheric piece, and 1 of my fav's :D . But then I (half listen) to Bike :? , Whats that all about? :shock:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Very strange lyrics, strange like the man who penned them down!

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/tab/piper/bike.txt

His songs (Syd Barrett of course) are very observational and I guess this is a sort of "mind talk" rambling saying that he doesn't much care for much and just sort of sees things happening and going on around him that he, perhaps has no control over.

He accepts no rule of law: stealing the bike itself!! :lol: :lol: :lol: He cares not for his image with those torn clothes! Perhaps it is a love song even after he has met someone that fits in with his world. He would give her everything as, perhaps, he doesn't want it in the first place?? :?: :?:

Over to you!! :D :D
jizhomer
Blade
Blade

Post by jizhomer »

Thanks for the explaination but after reading the lyrics I think I like it even less now!! :( It's just too....all over the place really. Theres nothing there that grabs me and makes me want to listen. :(
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

It grabbed me first because I thought it was a good pop song but not in the popular sense of the word!!

It is all over the place like Syd's head was. Rather reflective. :D
summer68
Axe
Axe

Post by summer68 »

my recommendation for you jizhomer is to listen to obscured by clouds and move backwards. it will ease you into their earlier stuff. it's quite a jump from echoes to bike. the song that sums up the syd-era for me is chapter 24
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Sound advice indeed summer68. :D
Syd_Roger_Rick_Nick_David
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Syd_Roger_Rick_Nick_David »

Well I am 21 and well I got into Pink Floyd like in 1992 or something. I remember listening to A Collection of Great Dance Songs and The Wall Dark Side of the Moon.

Then I thought to myself after being amazed at how much music they had that I liked so I always wanted to hear Wish You Were Here and Animals so I got those also and loved them. Then that year The Division Bell came out and loved that so I was like "damn I must get all of this bands albums".

So without even hearing anything on any of the other albums I bought them all 1 by 1 and loving each of them. Then I got 3 Syd CD's 1 Imported Live album and 1 Outtakes oh and 1 Roger album (not really into it, hear it once). But anyway what I am saying that I just love Pink Floyd and how I got into them.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Nick is a great drummer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

No, Nick Mason is not a great drummer. In fact he is extremely untight, repetitive and... I don't really mean this. I love the guy! Whoever said that he's the epitome of cool in the Live At Pompeii film is absolutely spot on. Nice guy, too.

But he isn't a technically good drummer. When he's on fire - witness 'Sorrow' on Pulse; 'Sheep'; all of Pompeii - he's great, but sometimes he can be a little shambolic - 'Paint Box'; 'Atom Heart Mother'; the end of 'A Great Day For Freedom'.

I'm a schizoid man (yeah, yeah, in the 21st century!). I must be!

Question: does he actually play on The Final Cut?! It sounds awfully... spot-on (no dis').
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Nick is a great drummer

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

FeelingVeryPink wrote: Question: does he actually play on The Final Cut?! It sounds awfully... spot-on (no dis').
Nick played the drums on The Post War Dream, Your Possible Pasts, The Hero's Return, The Gunners Dream, The Fletcher Memorial Home, The Final Cut, and Not Now John. Andy Newmark played the drums on Two Suns in the Sunset.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Nick is very cool on Live At Pompeii,the way he looks,dresses,acts,plays.I love the hipnotic drumming on Set The Controls......
And the great thing about Nick is the fact that he is the only man to be in Pink Floyd from the begining to the present day.Not bad for somone who wrote the least in the band,so he must doing something wright.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

It comes to the point I made in(Dave is crap),they were just soso musicians by themselves but put them together to make the best band ever.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Part of being a good musician is a sense of timing and feel. To play an instrument solo is completely different than playing with other muscians. Nick is a good drummer and can play around his bandmates real well. he has that "feel" thing. Same can be said for Dave as well. He may not have the fastest fingers but he has such great timing and feel that few if any can match.