Album artwork post-waters

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Album artwork post-waters

Post by decampos »

Man alive. have any of you looked at the artwork on the embarrasing post-roger Floyd releases? Words like pretentious and pointless spring to my mind. Does any one have any thoughts on this?
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Album artwork post-waters

Post by quicksilver »

decampos wrote:Man alive. have any of you looked at the artwork on the embarrasing post-roger Floyd releases? Words like pretentious and pointless spring to my mind. Does any one have any thoughts on this?
Well, my first thought is that I rather like the cover designs, I mean no more or less than all the others. From ASFOS to WYWH, all the cover art is designed by by Hipginosis except 'Meddle' where I believe only the inner sleeve was.

Either Hipgnosis or Storm Thergerson (who is part of Hipgnosis) are the same ones who designed all of the post Waters material.

Roger desinged the inner sleeve of Animals with help from both Storm Thergersion and Aubrey Powell (Of Hipgnosis). The Wall was designed by Gerald Scarfe and Roger Waters and The Final Cut art work was designed by "Artful Dodgers" with the inner sleeve by Roger Waters.

In my opinion all of the post waters art work is just as good as all the other stuff.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

i totally agree, Quicksilver
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I like The Division Bell artwork. I like the page for what do you want from me. If you look, you can see that you are the light making the disco ball light up. You can see the reflection of a face in the mirrors! Ingenious!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Why did Meddle have the big inside out ear on the cover? Does it represent something or what?
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

David Smith wrote:Why did Meddle have the big inside out ear on the cover? Does it represent something or what?
I would like to know that as well. I never heard or read anything regarding that. All I know is that I owned the album for many years before I was made aware that it was an ear.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

David Smith wrote:Why did Meddle have the big inside out ear on the cover? Does it represent something or what?
SO THAT's what it is... :shock:
Maybe it's got something to do with Echoes?
Silverfish
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Album artwork post-waters

Post by Silverfish »

decampos wrote:Man alive. have any of you looked at the artwork on the embarrasing post-roger Floyd releases? Words like pretentious and pointless spring to my mind. Does any one have any thoughts on this?
I agree to an extent. The Division Bell is just kind of pleasing to my eyes, I don't really mind it because I like simple artwork like this. Plus, I am a sucker for the effect of brushed metal, I like to use it in all my artwork... don't ask. Of course, it's no Dark Side (the most visually striking album logo of all time, in my opinion), and certainly no Animals (the most emotionally and philosophically powerful, again IMO).

AMLoR... well, I really do have give Storm and the boys a big pat on the back for the effort they put into dragging hudreds of beds out onto a beach, the final effect is ultimately a bit underwhelming, and I really fail o see any significance to any track on the album whatsoever.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

ill get my book out.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

Mind Over Matter - Storm Thorgerson

Now heres a cover never fully understood. Not then and not now. I didn't understad the title either, nor the specific design suggestions made down a crackling phone line from the Far East by the band. They had gone on tour to Japan in 1971 and had taken their wives with them. I wonder what that was like (I just realise, as I write this in 1997, that's the possib;e reason for the title. Spouses do not as a rule accompany bands on rock 'n' roll tours. Perhaps the wives in this instance altered or even disrupted the usual patterns of tour activity, just by being there or by wanting, naturally, some attention. None of those wives remained, since the Floyd all remarried by 'choice', including the manager. And the moral was... don't meddle girls, or the game is up.)
as for the actualy design, Storm goes onto say how the wate reflect a partial theme in the songs (San Tropez, Echoes, Pillow of Winds). The Inner sleeve on the CD releases add a further depth to this.

as for an ear... well... this is never explained, and Storm says it was the band's idea :p
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

I love the covers of AMLOR and TDB, but im not too fond of the inside artwork

The worst floyd cover period is the final cut
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

From what I understand, the water ripples represent soundwaves entering the ear.

NOW, tell me they weren't smoking weed.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think it is something to do with communication being distorted and muffled. If you try to listen to somebody talking to you under water then it messes the sound waves up for the intended recipient of the sound.

If you look at the cover you can see that freaky ear is under water!!
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

Actually, I think The Final Cut artwork is among the better Floyd packaging. It's simple and tasteful - the design is so clean it doesn't look out of place alongside the album covers of today. It hasn't dated unlike anything Floyd branded released thereafter.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

decampos wrote:Actually, I think The Final Cut artwork is among the better Floyd packaging. It's simple and tasteful - the design is so clean it doesn't look out of place alongside the album covers of today. It hasn't dated unlike anything Floyd branded released thereafter.
I like the Final cut art work as well but I wouldn't consider any post Waters covers dated in any way whatsoever. Every Pink Floyd cover is dated; as a matter of fact everything is dated. As soon as the artwork is complete it can be considered dated. I guess I don't understand your definition of "dated". The prism on DSOTM is dated because it was done 30 years ago but that doesn't mean I don't like it. I just think that you don't care for any post Waters material no matter what(which is fine because it's your opinion). I think TDB artwork is incrediblely well done and I don't see how anyone could not regardless if you like the music or not.