Money on "A collection of great dance songs"

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Money on "A collection of great dance songs"

Post by quicksilver »

As most of you know, "Money" was re-recorded for this album with just Dave playing all of the instruments. Does anyone know the reason for this? And why only money and not the others?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

While Pink Floyd remained on EMI Records in England (which is, I think the only major label in England,) thier record label in America changed after the release of DSOTM from Capitol to Columbia.

Since Capitol records held the copyright to the original recording of DSOTM, they also held the copyright to the original recording of Money. In order to keep from having to pay Capitol royalties, the song was re-recorded.

I would assume that Gilmour played everything simply because the others weren't available at the time.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

mosespa wrote:While Pink Floyd remained on EMI Records in England (which is, I think the only major label in England,) thier record label in America changed after the release of DSOTM from Capitol to Columbia.

Since Capitol records held the copyright to the original recording of DSOTM, they also held the copyright to the original recording of Money. In order to keep from having to pay Capitol royalties, the song was re-recorded.

I would assume that Gilmour played everything simply because the others weren't available at the time.
Thanks mosespa. I imagine there was quite a fight then between both record companies then.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

I don't believe for a second that he played the sax on it.
kipnow
Axe
Axe

Post by kipnow »

David did not play Sax on Money.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Mos' explanation is spot-on.

_Dick Parry played the sax on the re-recorded version (And the original version too). The cash register effects are the exact same as the original version.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

David did not play the sax on the re-recorded Money,because he has only started going to lesson's to learn how to play the instrument with his son recently,after his wife Polly bought him a sax.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I played the alto sax in my High School music classes. It's quite the fun instrument.