Pink Floyd Box Set - "The Boy, The Man"

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

jedi with crazy diamonds wrote: it very much wasnt a "gilmour showcase"... the cds they released in the set were floyds best selling albums. the wall was included, which definately is not gilmour, and the rest minus AMLOR was mostly from floyds best era when they all worked together. the Shine on set was more of a greatest hits then the echoes 2 cd set.
Riiiiiiight...and we all know that ASOS sold FAR MANY MORE copies that PATGOD :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

And Animals was DEFINITELY one of their best selling albums at the time, right? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

And The Wall was FOR SURE a great example of the whole band working together (never mind that Rick was fired midway through the album.) :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: squared

If it WAS really only about including the "best selling" albums, why is Animals there? And why ISN'T PATGOD?
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

PLEASE!!!! Make an official release of Vedgetable Man. [-o<
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

mosespa wrote:
jedi with crazy diamonds wrote: it very much wasnt a "gilmour showcase"... the cds they released in the set were floyds best selling albums. the wall was included, which definately is not gilmour, and the rest minus AMLOR was mostly from floyds best era when they all worked together. the Shine on set was more of a greatest hits then the echoes 2 cd set.
Riiiiiiight...and we all know that ASOS sold FAR MANY MORE copies that PATGOD :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

And Animals was DEFINITELY one of their best selling albums at the time, right? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

And The Wall was FOR SURE a great example of the whole band working together (never mind that Rick was fired midway through the album.) :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: squared

If it WAS really only about including the "best selling" albums, why is Animals there? And why ISN'T PATGOD?
ok where to you get gilmour did it to rub in waters face? that is what im disputing here. it was a great way to offer up remastered copies of SOME OF PFs best sellers and other albums from the great floyd era. sure PATGOD is descent but nowhere near the likes of WYWH, DSOTM, The Wall...(as far as sales or musical quality.) I myself can not listen to most of PATGOD, its just too bad, if floyd continued to make that "style" of music I most definately would not be a fan. but im drifting off here...
i just dont know how you can say
mosespa wrote: being a product of Gilmour's attempts to shove the fact that they were doing it without Roger into Roger's face. The set is oddly "Gilmour-centric."
Maybe this new boxed set will be a more thorough representation of the band's history instead of just a Gilmour Showcase.

when the wall is there along with animals. when again besides AMLOR everything else is basicly from the best era of floyd when they worked together the most.
PS how is the new pad going?
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

J Ed wrote:Id rather have The First XI than Shine On
that was the boxed set of all the vinyl LPs on the Harvest label that came out before The Wall
how come that box set contains the final cut then??

if it was released before the wall came out???
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

tea-set wrote:how come that box set contains the final cut then??
if it was released before the wall came out???
how come you read the sellers blurb far enough to see tFC listed but somehow missed this line:
theSeller wrote:I have also included a copy of the album 'The Final Cut' making a total of 12 albums altogether.
anyway I believe there were other box sets of the vinyl over the years
cuz I do remember seeing one with The Wall artwork
if I get time Ill do a search for images or info on that,
as with SkittleBrau, I may have drempt it
but my bet is that there were many oddball special editions over the years, probably small production runs in different countries
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

mosespa wrote:
Meneer Jansen wrote:What's the point of releasing TWO boxed sets from ONE band?
Consider this: I've not yet bought Shine On. When it first came out, I wasn't interested in anything prior to Meddle and already had everything else.

Now that I'm more familiar with their pre-Meddle work, another boxed set might include MORE Barrett-era stuff than Shine On and might appeal to me enough to actually make me fork over the cash for it.

And for all the people complaining about all the stuff that WON'T be on the set...don't be so sure.

Shine On, much like AMLOR, strikes me as being a product of Gilmour's attempts to shove the fact that they were doing it without Roger into Roger's face. The set is oddly "Gilmour-centric."

There's no PATGOD, the discs go from ASOS to Meddle (I think,) and if I remember correctly (though I COULD be wrong here,) there was no TFC.

Maybe this new boxed set will be a more thorough representation of the band's history instead of just a Gilmour Showcase.
The 1992 box was difficult to put together. Gilmour wanted Piper on Shine On but Mason and Waters outvoted him and Rick. Ummagumma and Atom Heart was vetoed off. They may have gotten the Oakland 1977 shows from Wolfgang's Vault and will include it on the set. I am looking forward to new PF box set.
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

jedi with crazy diamonds wrote:
mosespa wrote: Shine On, much like AMLOR, strikes me as being a product of Gilmour's attempts to shove the fact that they were doing it without Roger into Roger's face. The set is oddly "Gilmour-centric."
There's no PATGOD, the discs go from ASOS to Meddle (I think,) and if I remember correctly (though I COULD be wrong here,) there was no TFC.
it very much wasnt a "gilmour showcase"... the cds they released in the set were floyds best selling albums. the wall was included, which definately is not gilmour, and the rest minus AMLOR was mostly from floyds best era when they all worked together. the Shine on set was more of a greatest hits then the echoes 2 cd set.

by the way that petion is way old... :lol: look who they have a PFs manager...hes been dead a few years.
i really dont think PF cares what the fans want otherwise we would have had it already...
Steve O' Rourke was a great manager. Shame he died early. EMKA Productions is now Pink Floyd Management.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

jedi with crazy diamonds wrote: 1. ok where to you get gilmour did it to rub in waters face? that is what im disputing here.

2. i just dont know how you can say
mosespa wrote: being a product of Gilmour's attempts to shove the fact that they were doing it without Roger into Roger's face. The set is oddly "Gilmour-centric."

when the wall is there along with animals. when again besides AMLOR everything else is basicly from the best era of floyd when they worked together the most.

3. PS how is the new pad going?
1. Because this is how I see it:

Gilmour's contention is that if Roger wanted to LEAVE the band, that was fine...what really pissed him off was that Roger had the balls to declare the band "over" when he left.

AMLOR was Gilmour's way of flipping the bird at Waters. AMLOR is a big "Fuck You, we're NOT finished" to Roger. The Division Bell was just to show that AMLOR wasn't a fluke...that Gilmour didn't just get lucky.

Now, let's break down the boxed set and look at it from the perspective of what I THINK it says:

ASOS: Gilmour enters and saves everyone's collective ass.

Meddle: Here's where the sound really starts to take shape (also, it's the first set of solos that Gilmour feels are really worth noting.)

DSOTM: Can't leave out the most persistent selling album of all time, now, can we?

WYWH: Gilmour is all over SOYCD and the title track...and although the other two songs are Waters penned tunes, Gilmour's stamp is all over them.

Animals: Gilmour wrote most of the music for Dogs and greatly contributed to Sheep and Pigs (3DO)...in fact, those songs would likely sound QUITE different without what Gilmour brought in.

The Wall: Without Gilmour there would be no Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell or Young Lust; the lovely fretless bass on Hey You wouldn't be there; and even though Gilmour only has the three writing credits, that doesn't mean that he didn't help shape all the rest of the songs, you know. ABITW Part One is strictly Waters-bylined...but that's Gilmour's phrasing and delay. Besides...this is one of their most popular albums (thanks, I'm sure he thinks, to Gilmour's input,) can't really leave it out, now can we?

AMLOR: What happend to TFC?

Oh yeah...it's not Gilmour-centric.

THAT'S how I can say that. The Shine On boxed set, IMO, is nothing more than Gilmour Glorification.

If it were anything else, it would most likely have been a release of the COMPLETE catalogue...instead of just the bits listed above.

2. See above :D

3. Going great so far...I've only got a couple of more pieces of furniture to move in before I can really consider the move to be finished...but I've been living quite comfortably in it for the last few weeks.

I hope to have some pics of the pad soon.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pink Floyd Box Set

Post by Keith Jordan »

I just heard from Pink Floyd's manager that the box set will be released in November and will contain all studio albums reproduced with the original vinly artwork and that Storm has indeed designed the box! 8)
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re:

Post by wiped »

J Ed wrote:Id rather have The First XI than Shine On
that was the boxed set of all the vinyl LPs on the Harvest label that came out before The Wall

Looks like a set sold as recently as this year on Ebay for £350 ....wwwwoooooooooo - that's serious lira
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd Box Set - "The Boy, The Man"

Post by nosaj »

So, nothing new on this one, just the plain old albums that we already have?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

nosaj wrote:So, nothing new on this one, just the plain old albums that we already have?
There is the vinly artwork! We will have to wait and see what other details come along about the release. There must be some sort of somethig special released with it too!!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Keith Jordan wrote:
nosaj wrote:So, nothing new on this one, just the plain old albums that we already have?
There is the vinly artwork! We will have to wait and see what other details come along about the release. There must be some sort of somethig special released with it too!!
a dvd with 30 min of interviews is all I heard...and really, how does the vinyl artwork differ?
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

Does this mean there won't be a mono 'A Saucerful Of Secrets' remaster with:

Scream thy Last Scream
Unknown Title
Vegetable Man
John Latham
In The Beechwoods
Instrumental

:?: :smt032 :lol:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I just read on AFG that there will be a 30 min DVD with the release as well. I hope there is something more than just the albums!! Otherwise that would be very rude indeed wouldn't it?? Naughty EMI! :shock: :D