Pink Floyd Box Set - "The Boy, The Man"

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd Box Set - "The Boy, The Man"

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Very eloquently stated Mr. Brooks. :lol:

I wish they would release some additional live recordings from early vintage concerts or outtakes at some point!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Syd'sSexy wrote:Very eloquently stated Mr. Brooks. :lol:

I wish they would release some additional live recordings from early vintage concerts or outtakes at some point!
No wonder there are so many bootlegs of this band.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Re:

Post by moom »

Keith Jordan wrote:
moom wrote:They're fuckin' snobs, the Floyd management, and to me it seems like Floyds are ones themselves!
Snobs? What are you on about? :shock:
That they have their fuckin' "principes" :evil:
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

This really seems does seem like sort of a rude, pretentious, elitist thing to put out. It's basically for rich people who want a piece of art for their friends to oogle over rather than the music. Putting a 30-minute DVD in to get people to buy EVERY Pink Floyd album for a 2nd time is just adding insult to injury...could they at least make it a 60-minute DVD?!? Hah

To be fair, Dave does give lots of money to the homeless so at least maybe some of the money is ending up somewhere good (and he and other band members at least seem to realize they have more money than they need)...but I'm sure much of this is going to the record company and other people. I can understand the record company wanting to do this, but I'm not sure why the band would give it their blessing. I guess it's a nice momento for the end of the band...that such a nice package actually exists somewhere...but I can't imagine there being too many people in whatever odd demographic this is geared toward. Who is this package actually for?
garygreen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by garygreen »

Anoraks
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

it makes me sad to think about this
cuz its going to lead to family tragedies over Christmess

the only people who're going to buy this will be sweet old grannies
spending retirement savings they cant afford to buy something nice for their grandkids
then on christmess morning the recipients will excitedly open their new Shine On Mk II box sets
then realise its just the same albums they already have and get all miserable and resentful and angry at the world
and sweet old granny, who isnt even sure what a CD is let alone a Pink Floyd or a reissue,
will take it personally and get so sad she falls into a terminal depression and the experience will take years off her frail life

damn you PF management you just cant treat people like that!!
garygreen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by garygreen »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
theman4455245
Blade
Blade
Location: The Only Place You Can't Show Breasts On Television

Post by theman4455245 »

They should do what they did for Piper onward, or will they still do that. 40 YEARS AND WE CAN'T GET ANYTHING NEW FROM THE OLDER ALBUMS?! COME ON!
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Freddie Mercury wrote:This really seems does seem like sort of a rude, pretentious, elitist thing to put out. It's basically for rich people who want a piece of art for their friends to oogle over rather than the music.
I wholehearted endorse this statement.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Will you lot please stop bitching? For fucks sake!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Anyway.... Robert from the Floyd tribute band Us Not Them saw a crew taking photos for the box set and here is an account of what he saw!

Apparently, in the Dockyard area is a building with an extensive glass front, and they were taking pictures of objects placed inside through the glass. One of the crew had been sent out to get a load of footballs, and another had to find collapsible chairs.

Weird, but quite Floydian if true.

Sorry I can't tell you more, that's all I know.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Keith Jordan wrote:Will you lot please stop bitching? For fucks sake!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Only if you can explain even one positive impact that this release could have.
Kiru_Biru
Axe
Axe

Post by Kiru_Biru »

I just wish this would be related to the post-Barrett era.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

PublicImage wrote:
Keith Jordan wrote:Will you lot please stop bitching? For fucks sake!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Only if you can explain even one positive impact that this release could have.
1 - If you hardly own any of Pink Floyd's albums, then buying them all in one go in this boxset will probably be cheaper than buying them all separately.

2 - Buying the boxset will mean your CD collection takes up less space.

3 - The content of the albums is the most important, but the presentation of the CDs in a beautifully designed box can add to the overall experience. Certianly more of an experience than listening to MP3s! But probably not as good as vinyl.

Do you want me to come up with more? Will you behave now and stop behaving like a menstruating woman on coke??
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Positive? This is for future generations to enjoy. Old people can enjoy what they already have. Maybe with all the gossip on these tabloid sites, it is better to keep any surprises to a very select few (mind you, it seems a connected person says the dvd is it)...maybe a surprise awaits you.

Cheer up, saucerful in 2008 :lol:
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Yes, I want you to come up with more. The majority of people who are interested in this set will probably already have at least three Pink Floyd albums, and I'm sure that most people don't have/aren't willing to spend a huge sum of money on one box when they can get the albums over a time span and spend less in the short term, subsequently taking the time to absorb and appreciate each album fully before moving onto the next.

And the sleeve only ever adds to the quality of an album if the music itself isn't very good, which explains why I think Meddle is an okay album.