Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd Box Set - "The Boy, The Man"

Post by nosaj »

Wait till it comes out, then judge.
Mr Brooks

Post by Mr Brooks »

PublicImage wrote:Yes, I want you to come up with more. The majority of people who are interested in this set will probably already have at least three Pink Floyd albums, and I'm sure that most people don't have/aren't willing to spend a huge sum of money on one box when they can get the albums over a time span and spend less in the short term, subsequently taking the time to absorb and appreciate each album fully before moving onto the next.

And the sleeve only ever adds to the quality of an album if the music itself isn't very good, which explains why I think Meddle is an okay album.
very good point. also the fact that they already rereleased piper, darkside 5.1, and the rest in shine on... it is just another way to make money off being lazy and unimaginative. another example of the band not listening to what the larger fan base wants.
they are pushing old glory onto a younger generation who will DL pirate copies before buying the real thing.
Gilmours DVD set is already all over the torrent sites, at one site, compressed at 51% and there is a list of over 300 people DLing it as i type. (talk about lost $$, but yet they target bootleg collectors instead of people like this :? )... this is the target audience who would buy this set, if they didnt already DL it off the net for free.
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

this box set wouldn't be nearly as ridiculous if pf management didn't decide to shut down the tracker. "all our fans are trying to expand their interest in pf by downloading live shows! quick, shut down their tracker and fire up another box set!"
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Re:

Post by corie »

jambo wrote:I would prefer 73-75 and 77
yes l the 77 stuff mmm mm good
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

Scheduled for November 3 release .

Contains all 14 studio albums. (16 discs)

In addition there will be a DVD featuring the individual members of the band discussing the 40th anniversary and landmarks of their career (approx 30mins)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

According to Pink Floyd's manager, the title and release date have not been decided yet. He said that this morning.
garygreen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by garygreen »

Hmmmm...so the plot thickens...
UKUncleJohn
Embryo
Embryo

Post by UKUncleJohn »

They ought to do something similar to the Golden Road/Beyond Description boxsets by the Grateful Dead. They contained as much extras as the original songs. They would then be on to a winner for both old and new fans alike.

I'm not sure how they could justify including PATGOD, however, unless they included different extras.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Although I probably will buy this (I've got all of the Zep albums as well as both Boxed Sets) I will be pissed off if they don't release some live material in the next few years. They can't keep re-re-releasing re-re-remastered versions of the studio albums.
garygreen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by garygreen »

Wanna bet? :(
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

jambo wrote:Although I probably will buy this (I've got all of the Zep albums as well as both Boxed Sets) I will be pissed off if they don't release some live material in the next few years. They can't keep re-re-releasing re-re-remastered versions of the studio albums.
Roger, Rick and David will be the next to go tits up, and Nick will start his Nick's Picks (but it could be a couple of years) :lol:

corie: Col T said not to post the date etc. :?
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

garygreen wrote:Wanna bet? :(
Sorry, they shouldn't keep re-re-releasing the re-re-remasted albums.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Well, it looks like they had to balance out the geniuinely good PATGOD rerelease with some ripoff crap.

Maybe we'll get really lucky, though. It could wind up like Talking Heads' "Brick" box, and have at least some bonus tracks (STLS/VM/Boogie on ASOS, Embryo/BMT on More, Big Embryo on AHM, Son Of Nothing on Meddle, etc.) or be DualDisc with DVDs of relevant footage.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Yeah Tenniru, that is the spirit!
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

Keith Jordan wrote:
PublicImage wrote: Only if you can explain even one positive impact that this release could have.
1 - If you hardly own any of Pink Floyd's albums, then buying them all in one go in this boxset will probably be cheaper than buying them all separately.

2 - Buying the boxset will mean your CD collection takes up less space.

3 - The content of the albums is the most important, but the presentation of the CDs in a beautifully designed box can add to the overall experience. Certianly more of an experience than listening to MP3s! But probably not as good as vinyl.

Do you want me to come up with more? Will you behave now and stop behaving like a menstruating woman on coke??
Eh, sorry those aren't good reasons IMHO :) Most people who own 2-3 PF albums aren't going to suddenly buy ALL the albums, especially since they have 2-3 already (unless they're rich)...I doubt buying them at all at once will be cheaper enough to justify it. And regular CDs don't take much room anyway (and may even take less room than this package), and the presentation sort of negates the high price...PF should have just included better packaging with the remastered CDs already released.

I'm normally not one to complain about these things, just because if nothing else I think almost any product is great publicity and gains new fans, but this just so blatantly pushes the limits of being unnecessary, expensive and exploitive that I'm not really sure it's good for anything. I know everyone always accuses classic rock bands of cashing in everytime they release a new compilation or package that rehashes old material, but this is the first time I've ever felt PF are doing that.