Pink Floyd Box Set - "The Boy, The Man"

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: Pink Floyd Box Set - "The Boy, The Man"

Post by J Ed »

freddymercury wrote: I know everyone always accuses classic rock bands of cashing in everytime they release a new compilation or package that rehashes old material, but this is the first time I've ever felt PF are doing that.
heh, I remember the first time I felt that way...

but I must say Ive really come to feel A Collection of Great Dance Songs is just as vital as any other entry in the Pink Floyd catalog
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

J Ed wrote: but I must say Ive really come to feel A Collection of Great Dance Songs is just as vital as any other entry in the Pink Floyd catalog
Really J Ed? I trust your judgment, but I have never listened to it. Is it a must-have?
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

uhoh, I would feel terrible if I led you astray
I meant that with a giant size serving of sarcasm

except for the part where that album was the first time I felt the Floyds were cashing in by repackaging old material
that part was true
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Oh, I guess my instincts were correct then, and that will not be an imminent purchase! :lol:
Mr Brooks

Post by Mr Brooks »

Syd'sSexy wrote:
J Ed wrote: but I must say Ive really come to feel A Collection of Great Dance Songs is just as vital as any other entry in the Pink Floyd catalog
Really J Ed? I trust your judgment, but I have never listened to it. Is it a must-have?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

if you want a poorly done best of... songs are not even complete... :lol: :lol:
Sunduc
Axe
Axe

Post by Sunduc »

Freddie Mercury wrote:Who is this package actually for?
To be fair, if we look 10 years into the future, that box set may be what the now new fans of the band will have as the backbone of their collection. So it's not an unreasonable thing, but chances are it's a totally useless box set for us.

But then again ... which masters will they be using? I checked out a few web sites concerning DSotM, and there seems to be some rare japanese pressings ("blackface" and "black triangle") that are considered the best by those who have had the lucky chance to compare ... and then there's always Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs - MFSL. If the record company looks at what fans say and chooses the best masters for all albums, I will be tempted to buy after all (*), but if they just reissue what I already have, I don't see the point for my own sake. I might even donate straight to the homeless instead of letting it go (shortened) to the record company, then the floyds and finally the homeless, minus taxes, taxes and taxes.

(*) I'm still boycotting the Piper anniversary release in my deep sorrow over their closing of the NPF tracker. I don't know how long I'll keep up my musical hunger strike, but I'm sure they notice it hard! :?
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

Keith Jordan wrote:According to Pink Floyd's manager, the title and release date have not been decided yet. He said that this morning.
i guess i get better info than you do :D cause i knew tha date check above in my earlier post :shock:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

corie, I heard that date too, but that is not firm.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

J Ed wrote:
freddymercury wrote: I know everyone always accuses classic rock bands of cashing in everytime they release a new compilation or package that rehashes old material, but this is the first time I've ever felt PF are doing that.
heh, I remember the first time I felt that way...

but I must say Ive really come to feel A Collection of Great Dance Songs is just as vital as any other entry in the Pink Floyd catalog
Yeah I know a lot of people felt that was cashing in, but they'd waited longer than most bands to release a compilation by that point, and I thought that paired with Works ended up being pretty good for new fans.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

corie wrote: i guess i get better info than you do :D cause i knew tha date check above in my earlier post :shock:
What is the source of your information?
whippoboy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by whippoboy »

"The Boy, The Man": very interesting title. In the early 70s, back when the group would play many songs live before recording them, there was a concert format entitled "The Man and His Journey." There were several high quality bootlegs of these performances. Some of the songs came out on official albums but never the entire 'Suite' as it was described. If such a performance was included in the boxed set it would be quite nice. Not sure what 'The Boy' refers to!
Mr Brooks

Post by Mr Brooks »

Keith Jordan wrote:
corie wrote: i guess i get better info than you do :D cause i knew tha date check above in my earlier post :shock:
:lol:
another site... :lol:
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Keith Jordan wrote:
I can confirm that it's true. I read it on the internet.
Mr Brooks

Post by Mr Brooks »

the worst thing is, Bon Jovi did something like this, not on a grand of scale but they released a best of, only to release another best of just a few years later, except they actually did work to make the $$ they released "this far left" or something of the sorts... and this is THE BEST the almighty Pink Floyd can do, is rerelease us the same shit till they are all dead?
an era where Bon Jovi outdoes Floyd :lol:
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

PublicImage wrote:
Keith Jordan wrote: What is the source of your information?
I can confirm that it's true. I read it on the internet.
thats what i was gonna say ... and also that everything you read on the internet is 100% real fact... I guess we have the same "secret " source for our info.
:lol: