I'd like you to share your pink floyd likes with me

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Julia Dream
Embryo
Embryo

I'd like you to share your pink floyd likes with me

Post by Julia Dream »

ok... I'm afraid I'm too young to give any opinion of the early pink floyd as some times I find myself missunderstandig what they could possibly be meaning with their psychedelic lyrics. :? But I certanly love the piper at the gates of down. However, I must admit I like the dark side of the moon or wish you were here more than it and I really dislike a momentary lapse of reason and the division bell.
well then... I'll write my top 5 best pink floyd songs and albums and I hope you can share yours with me :D

songs:
5- fearless
4- julia dream
3- breathe
2-shine on you crazy diamond ( all parts)
1- wish you were here
(it's been very difficult to choose )
:lol:

albums:
5- meddle
4-relics
3-obscured by clouds
2-wish you were here
1- the dark side of the moon

:roll: :? :shock: :lol: :wink:
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

Couldn't this be more difficult?! I never liked to rank albums and songs (so why am I ranking them all the time?!) It's easier to say which PF-albums I don't appreciate as much as other PF-albums.

Momentary Lapse Of Reason
Division Bell
Final Cut (Nick Mason: "Oh Christ, don't let it be about his father and war again...")

God forgive me, those albums are good too, in their own special way.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Ok, here we go.

[url]Songs:[/url]:
5) Stay
4) Comfortably Numb
3) Us And Them
2) Shine On You crazy Diamond
1) Wish You Were Here

Albums
5) Meddle
4) Wish You Were Here
3) Animals
2) The Wall
1) The Dark Side Of The Moon

The Final Cut and Obscured By Clouds are also worthy of a mentioning.

JML, why don't you apreciate The Final Cut? I can see why you don't apreciate AMLOR and TDB (AMLOR is crap and TDB is just pathetic in many ways) but why not TFC?

And Julia, you said you were 16 on another thread, what month? I just want to know if i'm still the youngest one of us on a forum of old gits :lol: My birthday's in May by the way.
[/url]
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think David Smith would like to take Julia Dream out for dinner! :lol:

You two should post pictures of yourself on the forum!! We all should!!
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Yeah, only an entire ocean apart Keith.

Hmm, i don't, scared incase finally someone else from Edinburgh gets around to joining the forum and decideds they like me so much they find me in the street and start stalking me :lol:

Also i don't have a scanner.
mosespa

Re: I'd like you to share your pink floyd likes with me

Post by mosespa »

Julia Dream wrote:ok... I'm afraid I'm too young to give any opinion of the early pink floyd as some times I find myself missunderstandig what they could possibly be meaning with their psychedelic lyrics. :? But I certanly love the piper at the gates of down. However, I must admit I like the dark side of the moon or wish you were here more than it and I really dislike a momentary lapse of reason and the division bell.
well then... I'll write my top 5 best pink floyd songs and albums and I hope you can share yours with me :D

songs:
5- fearless
4- julia dream
3- breathe
2-shine on you crazy diamond ( all parts)
1- wish you were here
(it's been very difficult to choose )
:lol:

albums:
5- meddle
4-relics
3-obscured by clouds
2-wish you were here
1- the dark side of the moon

:roll: :? :shock: :lol: :wink:

You state that there a lyrics that you are not sure if you understand the meaning of...I think it would be quite interesting and very conversation provoking if you would post some of these lyrics and say what you think they mean. And then everyone else could post their own interepretations, as well.

This could be really cool.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

David Smith wrote:JML, why don't you apreciate The Final Cut? I can see why you don't apreciate AMLOR and TDB (AMLOR is crap and TDB is just pathetic in many ways) but why not TFC?[/url]
When I listened TFC for the first time, it seemed quite good album. Well, after about 5 times, it started to be annoying, maybe it's too sophisticated to me (Roger is sad about his father :( ) Nowadays I can listen maybe the first track and Not Now John. Roger is just whispering with some cello at the background, then he starts to yell and... I start to listen Not Now John or The Post Was Dream. And those Daves guitar solos are made like, "Oh my god! Dave has nothing to do in this album! Well maybe we can write him a couple of solos! Yes, that shall we do!"

Maybe I should listen it one more time.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

To say that The Final Cut is simply about the death of Eric Fletcher Waters is to miss about three quarters of what the album is actually about.

Yes, the death of his father is a major theme of the album, but it's also a treatise on how economics are ruling the quality of life to it's detriment. The cycle of "economic recession followed by war followed by economic boom followed by economic recession followed by war...ad infinitum" is one of the saddest things about human society.

We have allowed money to become so important that if getting more money into the system means going to war...then that's what we'll do.

Think about it...a murderer (in America) sentenced to life in prison can be released in three to seven years if they behave themselves in prison. Meanwhile, someone who has embezzled, stolen or otherwised obtained money in an illegal fashion will likely do at least five years before the possibility of parole.

Money, it seems, is held in higher regard than human life.

Another major theme of The Final Cut is how the post-war dream has been betrayed by the very people chosen to keep it sacred. World War Two is sometimes called "the war to end all wars," and at the time, it was believed that there would be no further wars.

This is the post-war dream.

However, our leaders discovered that war=profit...and waste little time in starting new wars.

Again, it seems that money is held in higher regard than human life.

In the title song, Roger displays what this fact can do to an individual. It almost seems as if The Final Cut (the song) is a summation of much of The Wall...and a continuation of the period spent behind it. If you look at the lyric sheet, the line "...and if I'm in, I'll tell you..." continues..."and if I'm in, I'll tell you what's behind the wall." The theme of man's inhumanity to man (or at least the factors that lead to it) is applied to the conditions of a disintegrating marriage. The betrayal of the post-war dream is applied to the betrayal of the sanctity of marriage. The post-war dream itself is transformed into the post-marriage dream in which domestic bliss is substituted for world peace. In both cases, the dream is denied for reason that have little to do with what the dream itself is supposed to be about.

This can cause one to alienate themselves (build a wall) because the world out there is simply too harsh, too brutal and the only other option (it seems) is suicide...which the character in the song is about to attempt until someone finally tries to make contact with him at the last moment.

Yes, it's about Roger's father dying in the war...but it's also about so much more.

Listen to it again...and again...and again...and again...and ponder it each time you listen. Look for the hidden things...read between the lines...heck, form your own opinion of what it means to you.

Then listen to it again.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Oh Mosespa, i thought you would already know this but The Final Cut was actually left from the wall. It and Your Possible Pasts were both songs that were originally going to be on the wall and yet for some reason weren't released as part of it. I guess this is because there's no reason for Your Possible Pasts to be on The Wall and The Final Cut just seemed to back up everything else that was said on the album so the listener wouldn't be getting anything new.

The song also musicaly sounded like a continuation to Comfortably Numb (listen to the background music again) and lets face it, it's not as good so that's another eason i think it would have been taken off.

I always liked the album, that is apart from Dave's guitar solos. Man did he have an off day. The song Two Suns In The Desert was brilliant and quite hoestly, that would have been the perfect song to end a career on.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I just read other a post on this, so Mosespa you think we should write what we think the old songs were about? Well Julia hasn't put in her list of songs yet (do people in Argentina never use the net, or do they have lives unlike us?) so being young of age to i feel it's my duty to represent the younger listeners by giving a list of song related questions.

1) Who's Dan Dare (Astronomy Domaine obviously)
2) Why should we see Emily play?
3) What's Chapter 24?
4) What does the gnome do?
5) Is there really a point to Bike?
6) In Remember a day what the hell is it about? it seems obvious enough until it reaches the end (why can't we reach the sun? Why can't we play today? What?)

God, they lyrics were strange at that time, you would think they were on drugs or something :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

David Smith wrote:Oh Mosespa, i thought you would already know this but The Final Cut was actually left from the wall...

Yes, I know that some songs on TFC were leftovers from The Wall...but not the entire album...and I'm not certain that the title track was a leftover.

And I really don't think that Roger would be inclined to use the same lyrics that he would have used if the songs were from The Wall...I think he would have re-written them to fit the new concept of TFC.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

David Smith wrote: 1) Who's Dan Dare (Astronomy Domaine obviously)
2) Why should we see Emily play?
3) What's Chapter 24?
4) What does the gnome do?
5) Is there really a point to Bike?
6) In Remember a day what the hell is it about? it seems obvious enough until it reaches the end (why can't we reach the sun? Why can't we play today? What?)

God, they lyrics were strange at that time, you would think they were on drugs or something :lol:
1. Dan Dare was (to my understanding) a comic book character in England at the time.

2. It's not really a command. It's more like saying, "Hey, look at that chick doing that crazy stuff."

3. The lyrics to Chapter 24 are based on Chapter 24 of the I Ching, an ancient Chinese divination method that I use when seeking advice.

4. I don't know.

5. No.

6. Never listened to this song...so, I don't know.

Hope this helps.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Ok, i don't have an exact quote or anything, but the title track was definitly left of the wall, that and your possible pasts. The lyrics to your possible pasts were tweaked quite a bit but TFC probably stayed much the same. In saying that i could be wrong and it's all just making a character return.

You've not heard Remember A Day? Well it's crap anyway, but the album SFOS has one of the best early floyd songs, that of course being Let There Be More Light.

Emily's a little girl is she not? Why would she cry after dark and gaze through trees in sorrow with hardly a sound till tomorrow? I don't know why, but i always pictured her being young.

The I Ching, is that where a lot of the lyrics to Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun were taken from to?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

David Smith wrote: You've not heard Remember A Day? Well it's crap anyway, but the album SFOS has one of the best early floyd songs, that of course being Let There Be More Light.

Emily's a little girl is she not? Why would she cry after dark and gaze through trees in sorrow with hardly a sound till tomorrow? I don't know why, but i always pictured her being young.

The I Ching, is that where a lot of the lyrics to Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun were taken from to?
At one point, I knew a guy who had every Floyd album on vinyl...he let me have a huge listening session at his house one day...so I've heard it, but I couldn't tell you how any of it goes.

As for Emily's age...I understand that Syd based the character of Emily on one of two women he associated with at the time. Remember, crying and gazing off into space are not the sole province of the very young...anyone can do it. I always took Emily to be a young-ish woman...late teens/early twenties who was a part of the drug scene that Syd ran in. Heck, do enough of the right kinds of drugs and you will gaze through trees in sorrow with hardly a sound until tomorrow.

The lyrics to STCFTHOTS were inspired by a book of Chinese T'ang poetry, not the I Ching. I have three copies of the I Ching...Chapter 24 in one of which reads...

Chapter 24--Returning (Fu)

Everything has a cycle and this one, for you, is starting again. This time it has renewed vigor and enthusiasm. It is a new beginning and you have learned much from the past. What you haven't learned will be repeated until you do learn it. What may well be returning is a sense of energy. You can do no wrong if you work with integrity and compassion.

Sixth (Top) Line--If you don't learn, you will only have to play out this scenario again and again. Is it worth it?

Fifth Line--Be objective about your shortcomings and make the necessary changes. You may need to apologize.

Fourth Line--If you have to take a different path from others close to you, then so be it. Walking alone with truth is better than being in a rabble of liars.

Third Line--There is only one path. You know that. Why do you think there are others? Why do you change your mind so often? You must answer these questions before you can move on.

Second Line--You don't know everything. Seek out a wiser person who has been this way before you and listen to their advice.

First Line--Even if you expect success, but know that what you are doing is wrong, there is no point continuing--you know that in your heart.

The I Ching is a system in which you create (using methods of randomness, like tossing three coins, rolling three dice, etc.) a six line figure (a hexagram) which corresponds to a particular chapter of the I Ching (Book Of Changes)...this chapter is supposed to contain wisdom and advice upon the subject you seek advice on.

It's an interesting system which I discovered a couple of years ago and have been using periodically. It gives good advice...it tells you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear.

For more information...look up "I Ching" on a search engine.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

That was very interesting, cheers. And beleive me, i will look it up.