Pink Floyd Box Set - "The Boy, The Man"

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Demolition Man
Knife
Knife

Re: Pink Floyd Box Set - "The Boy, The Man"

Post by Demolition Man »

You know as much as us die hards are upset over this boxset potentially not having much new for us..... I get at least one customer a MONTH looking for the "Shine On" boxset to this day. Even after I explain to them that they are better off buying the albums seperately since "Shine On" is missing "Piper" amongst others... all I hear in return is... "but I just want to buy everything in one box and be done with it."

Most of us around here probably own at least every album several times over. But that doesn't mean that Joe Sixpack does as well. Therefore this is a smart move on their part to do a new boxset. And with the record sales being very sluggish right now having this out on store shelves is better than not at all.

.... however I just wish we'd get more archival releases myself. But wish in one hand and crap in another.... sadly we know which one will get full first. :(
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

Syd'sSexy wrote:What's SACD? :? I'm such a hopeless technophobe. :lol: :lol:
Theresa it is Super Audio Compact Disc... A better sound qulity that will often play in 5.1 on most newer dvd players. Think of it as a cd with the audio sound and quality of a dvd
:D :D
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

corie wrote:
Syd'sSexy wrote:What's SACD? :? I'm such a hopeless technophobe. :lol: :lol:
Theresa it is Super Audio Compact Disc... A better sound qulity that will often play in 5.1 on most newer dvd players. Think of it as a cd with the audio sound and quality of a dvd
:D :D
and a bit like HDCD :lol:
Mr Brooks

Post by Mr Brooks »

with a $200 US price tag the set, i will buy. why im not too sure yet... come on Novermber __!!!
Kojima-naked
Blade
Blade

Post by Kojima-naked »

At the end of the day this box isn't for us hardcore fans who already have the box. Ive been looking into finishing off my cds with the mini lp versions and buying this set would be cheaper than hunting down the 4 or 5 I'm missing(my collection isn't mini-lp just figured id get them in mini lp). But when I first got into Floyd, I was 16 only had a copy of dsotm that was given to me without the case and it stayed that way for 4 years because there was so much I was overwhelmed a box set like this and thats why this box set is a good idea to me. as for the lack of bonuses it was not until 5 years after I started that I became interested in the live/b-sides and when ever conversations about the Floyd comes up with random people in stores and at work one things is abundantly clear, we are a minority. and like with any other business they want to reach the widest possible audience and most Floyd fans wouldn't notice if the b-sides were there or not. who knows we could get a pay for download with all the b-sides ever made like with the depeche mode package(though Ironically the one person I knew who wanted to buy it only wanted the b-sides because he already had all the albums. go figure). Personally I like what the rolling stones and clash did and released mini-lp box sets of their singles with the b-sides and video content. maybe the Floyd will listen and give us the option. but at the end of the day the record company is still doing us a favor by releasing Floyd.

PS also love the idea of studio master flac, though may not catch on, I see a lot of apple lossless stuff on file share but I'm not sure if its from itunes nor do I care because I dislike apple products for the most part, well I try to avoid them I should say.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

So far they haven't said anything about the audio content (remaster, remix, 5.1, SACD) right?
Sunduc
Axe
Axe

Post by Sunduc »

Let's just hope they're wise enough to lurk on this thread. What better market survey could they get?
Kojima-naked
Blade
Blade

Post by Kojima-naked »

Let's just hope they're wise enough to lurk on this thread. What better market survey could they get?
Yea I was shocked when the piper 40th was almost exactly what people wanted from the forum.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Demolition Man wrote:
Most of us around here probably own at least every album several times over. But that doesn't mean that Joe Sixpack does as well. Therefore this is a smart move on their part to do a new boxset. And with the record sales being very sluggish right now having this out on store shelves is better than not at all.
Let him just go and buy the albums separately, as you advice to in the first paragraph of your post ;)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

For your information, Pink Floyd's manager just told me the new box set still has no title and that there is, apparently, a problem with it! :?
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Is the problem that it's crap?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

PublicImage wrote:Is the problem that it's crap?
No. But your problem is that you are too childish and too negative. I would look into that if I were you, boy.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Hahaha. So what is the problem? Do they want to release it after Radiohead's album to avoid losing a chart battle?
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

I'm curious about this "problem" myself. I wonder how long it is going to be delayed as a result.....
Mr Brooks

Post by Mr Brooks »

Keith Jordan wrote:For your information, Pink Floyd's manager just told me the new box set still has no title and that there is, apparently, a problem with it! :?
:lol:
what he is really saying:
They saw the negative reaction across ALL fansites and knew they were in trouble...
they are now trying to come up with something to make us say "wow, this kicks ass!" when in all honesty, i dont think anything but live archive material (WALL DVD!, BBC stuf etc), Unreleased material (studio outakes like with piper) we wont buy it.
The sales of "new fans" would not recover the cost of the set production...

They basicly saw they were in for one hell of a loss, now they are srambling to figure out what they can do to salvage this..