Axe

Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall?

Post by summer68 »

This one should start some arguments :D
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I used to like them equally, but I now like The Wall more (I'm actually listening to it right now).

Post by Guest »

My belief is that the answer to this question runs along generational lines. If you reached puberty prior to 1973, you probably prefer Dark Side. I don't know what the dividing line is, but most people that I have had contact with who at least started puberty by 1976 prefer The Wall. I fall into the latter category and prefer The Wall over Dark Side, but don't consider The Wall as my favorite Pink Floyd album. I admit that it was a fantastically sensory album, but any experience at all in the realm of Pink Floyd prior to listening to it meant that this was a given. I think the draw for those whose first Pink Floyd experience is The Wall is that aspect. Sounds come from everywhere and it's not easy to catch their meaning the first time. Therefore, multiple listenings are required. Both albums really require a start to finish listening to really garner the appropriate appreciation. I think that my lack of enthusiasm for Dark Side comes from the fact that I had heard a few cuts out of context on the radio prior to experiencing the concept in it's entirety. Once I had heard the entire album, I gained a greater appreciation for it, but still did not become as consumed as I did with later Floyd product. I would have to blame this on the fact that I was 10 years old when Dark Side came out and wasn't really searching for depth in my music at the time. Therefore, I think that the generational hypothesis is valid.

If anyone has a contrasting experience, I would like to hear it.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

This is a tough one to answer. I've always been a big fan of early Floyd so DSOTM to me was the album where everything finally came together. If you start at SoS, every album is a natural progression to Dark side. Many of their experimental ideas came together. Now, if you listen to WYWH and Animals, The Wall to me is sort of a culmination of those albums. Rogers influence was greater and they are more streamlined musically. They were also playing bigger stadiums and that had an affect on Rogers writing. ( We all know about Montreal in '77). I thought it took a lot of balls to make The Wall. The music can only be defined as Pink Floyd, I mean it doesn't fit in with the music trends at the time. Some of my favorite songs are the ones you don't here on the radio. I have really come to appreciate the genius of this album over time. I think you really have to listen to the whole thing at one time to truly appreciate it though. To me it's a tale of two bands anf I like them equally.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Which do I prefer?

Post by Stiggs »

Well to be quite honest, I voted "I Like Them Equally" You see, I started listening to Pink Floyd about 2 years ago so I gathered all of the information about Pink Floyd a lot quicker than most fans. The first album I bought by PF was Dark Side Of The Moon, a year and a month or so ago, and I've listened to it at least once a day every day since. But I also bought The Wall and listened to it at least once a day every day since. To say which is better really depends on the person likes, I guess. Dark Side Of The Moon has a much better musical atmosphere, but I think The Wall is much more powerful in terms of lyrics.
So I have no real preference. Tho I know a lot of people who prefer Dark Side Of The Moon over The Wall, and vice versa.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

they are both equal

Darkside was undoubtabley phenominal, in terms of diversity, meaning, and the way the tracks all complimneted each other. it is however only 40 minutes long...

the wall on the other hand is more personable, it deals with a few things close to people, it has its weak moments, sure, but it is an Epic, theatrical album.
and with i say theatrical, i dont even consider the live shows or the movie.

of course, if you take them into account, then the Wall takes on a whol new level.. the live shows were simply awesome, theatre in themselves, and the movie was that next step.

thats my 2cents.
fatoldsun
Embryo
Embryo

Post by fatoldsun »

Like comparing Mozart to Cezanne...
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

fatoldsun wrote:Like comparing Mozart to Cezanne...
Do you care to elaborate?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I prefer The Wall, myself.

I discovered both albums within weeks of each other, so I have been equally exposed to each.

I prefer The Wall because it rocks a little harder and it's a bit scarier.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Dark Side of The Moon, quite easily IMO too...
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

Darks Side Of The Moon of course... and why? Because is was my second PF-album (the first was Piper), and revolutionary to my music-taste. I don't wanna tell what I listened before Pink Floyd and nobody want's to hear.
It was also my cheapest Pink Floyd -record. Only 10e, others have cost almost 20e.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Neither; my favourite album is Ummagumma.

I joke of course.

I prefer The Dark Side Of The Moon to The Wall...

...but if I had to keep one...

...would it be DaSiOfTeMoo?

...what about Comfortably Numb?

...But the solos on Money and Time, and... uh...

Both.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

dark side of the moon, its more listenable
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

I'm a little burnt out on both of them at the moment, but 15 years of constant listening tends to do that. If I had to pick one I'd probably go with DARK SIDE, because musically at least no single member was dominating the group, and it seems lyrically more universal than THE WALL. That said, my favourite song on the two albums is easily "Comfortably Numb".
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

I don't care if everybody in the world hates me after this but I remembered this when I today drove from Rovaniemi to home (and I listened The Who, one track from Tommy), I don't like Bring The Boys Back Home or Vera Lynn very much. They're stupid songs and lyrics (+Is There Anybody Out There?), most boring thing in The Wall I don't need them, I skip them many times when I listen to The Wall. Ok. I had to say this. Shoot me!