Pink Floyd - "Oh By The Way" - 40th Anniversary Box Set

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd - "Oh By The Way" - 40th Anniversary Box Set

Post by Syd'sSexy »

bpmolder wrote:Yes, that session. The photos were taken by Mick Rock of Rolling Stone Magazine (which wasn't during the interview. I got mixed up due to his involvement in both projects. The interview pictures from 1971 were of Syd mostly sitting with his hair cut really short for the first time and were in black and white). These photos were taken during a session that would yield the art work for The Madcap Laughs. Somewhere in that group of photos are at least 2 of him looking out the window like that.
The 1971 interview was with Melody Maker, and yes, Syd's hair was quite short!!! All of the photos from that session were taken during the interview, and they are all in black and white.

Most of the photos in the flat were taken by Mick Rock, but I do believe that another photographer was involved. Most were for the Madcap Laughs, but there were others taken and I wish I could remember the photographer's name....
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Bαbi*BR wrote:Syyyyyyd! Where are you???
Six feet under.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

jambo wrote:
Bαbi*BR wrote:Syyyyyyd! Where are you???
Six feet under.
Rather be six feet under than down under any day! :lol: :lol: :lol:
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

bpmolder wrote:On second look, these were obviously new pictures taken for the session that were supposed to symbolize Syd and Bob. Either that, or some really excellent Photoshopping was in play. They can't be matched to any other sessions due to the quality alone.
You do realize I was joking on that whole post? :smt031 or by some stretch of luck it is INDEED Bob? :-k
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

danielcaux wrote:You do realize I was joking on that whole post? :smt031 or by some stretch of luck it is INDEED Bob? :-k
I thought you were serious. My bad. You might try throwing one of those :lol:'s at the end of a joke so thick-headed people like me can tell. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sunduc
Axe
Axe

Mini vinyl?

Post by Sunduc »

Seems to be some more info here:

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/pi ... x-set.html

They are selling only 10 000 copies? And they have a whole (1 20"x30") poster?

Aside from that, you must excuse me for a dumb question: What does "mini vinyl" actually mean? Simply that it's packaged in sleeves instead of in a jewelcase? I've never had any (I'm afraid), and wikipedia has no entry on it.

As for the box set: What kind of mastering, etc?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

A mini-Lp replica is a reproduction of the original vinyl cardboard packaging and cover artwork shrinked to the size of a regular CD. This is probably how the mini-Lp replica of WYWH is going to look like:

It looks nice but they are a pain in the ass to take care of, the cardborad drops some kind of dust into the optical disc and slowly damages it.

bp/ I guess I should drop the Andy Kaufman style of comedy :D
lando2k
Axe
Axe

Post by lando2k »

is this where the band's future goes? miniaturizing the content they released over and over again in the past 40 years. will it be a reissue on flash cards 1-by-1-inch in size in then years from now?

for somebody who owns each and every studio album, most of them twice, some in several different issues, this can't be it.

however beautiful it looks, i won't buy it for that amount of money.

oh, by the way :wink:, i would suggest to EMI, that people who own all the albums in other form already, should receive a big fat discount of at least 50%, as they have paid royalties on the material already!
michael christensen
Axe
Axe

Post by michael christensen »

danielcaux wrote:he he! EMI is really hitting the bottom with this boxsets thing GREEDY GREEDY

Are the DSoTM posters going to be mini-replicas too? a poster the size of a postcard! he he! and it seems that there isn't any kind of booklets on the albums either. Remasterization? extra songs? outtakes? I mean, the regular jewelcase CDs are ten times better than a piece of cardboard with no booklet.

edit:
In addition to the albums and their extras...
whoa!!!! I hadn't notice that. What the hell that "extras" means???
Frank zappa said it very nice we are only in it for the money i raelly can not see the point in buying "oh by the way" i have all the albums maybe you get some rare recordings but the main thing for me is the albums it can only to make money and at X-mas they are not stupid at EMI but of course we the fans are hungry for anything new by our heroes but it should be something new instead of old music at new design.

michael :shock:
whippoboy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by whippoboy »

Gee, thanks so much for nothing. I have all of the albums. I would like the know the original source for the rumor that it would be called 'The Boy, The Man,' an obvious reference to early 70s material. I guess the joke is on us. :D
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

Syd'sSexy wrote:So you are speaking of the images that were taken in the flat Duggie Fields bought and lives in with the colored floorboards? I have seen the entire photo shoot. I just don't know what image everyone is talking about and am too lazy to search for it. :?
there is some of the worst art ive ever seen on the walls of that flat
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

anyone know what this thing is gonna cost ? in Canada
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

whippoboy wrote:Gee, thanks so much for nothing. I have all of the albums. I would like the know the original source for the rumor that it would be called 'The Boy, The Man,' an obvious reference to early 70s material. I guess the joke is on us. :D
Storm...I think he suggested it as a title.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

corie wrote:anyone know what this thing is gonna cost ? in Canada
ahhhh... the internet.... so much information for everyone to see......

http://www.amazon.ca/Way-Box-Set-Pink-F ... 226&sr=8-2
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Poor woman that I am interested in isn't getting an expensive gift this Christmas...Because I NEED to buy this damn box set...I hope they aren't all sold by pre-order.