Bob Geldof in "The Wall"

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
jizhomer
Blade
Blade

Bob Geldof in "The Wall"

Post by jizhomer »

I've always wondered how Bob Geldof came to play Pink in the movie?
Could anyone else have done it better?
djproject
Axe
Axe

Post by djproject »

It was mainly Alan's choice for Bob. This was after he did an audition and he read a scene from <i>Midnight Express</i> and Alan was impressed.

And now for an interesting excursion of thought:

The movie is interesting but I have some issues with it. It's too autobiographical for my tastes and one of the things I like about TW is the vaguery of the story. Sure the death of his father is a crucial element (and we all know to whom we can attribute it too) but it didn't have to be at the Anzio bridgehead in Feb. '44. It could be other reasons. I've always imagined (before I had more mature access to more advanced Floydian resources) at the ripe age of six that the father died in a plane crash somewhere.

Plus it's too realistic for me. With a story like that, animation works the best and it's not because of Gerald Scarfe. It's because the story is more mental than anything else and you need something that's far from reality because the experience are far from reality. I mean really... when was the last time you were tried at a trial not only of your fabrication but where the Judge is both a worm and an anal orifice (is this going to be censored?) and <b>you</b> sentenced <b>yourself</b> "to be exposed before your peers"?

But that's my $0.02.
clove

Post by clove »

Geldof is fine. The problem is that rather than making a movie based on the album, they made a movie that is a illustration of the songs. It’s like watching a string of videos connected together. And although some of the segments are great on their own, it ends up being too much the same thing, and much too dark. The movie could have benefited from tossing about half of what is there and adding some plot and scenes with dialogue and acting and interweaving these with some of the strongest scenes in the film. That way some character can be developed, and one would be inclined to actually care about the pink fellow. As it is its too much the same down down down , and it desperately needs some humor thrown in to give relief and make you actually feel the emotion. The trail scene is brilliant on its own but By the end of the movie one is just overwhelmed by the bleak sameness and feels nothing but boredom.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

The funny thing about Bob Geldof being in the Wall,was that before he got the part of Pink,He was in a taxi with his manager moaning about being considered for the part,and he said "I fucking hate Pink Floyd!!!",the problem was that Roger got to know about this because the taxi driver was only Roger's brother,ha ha ha.I guess Roger must have found it funny,because he still got the part.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I agree with you Clove, there needs to be more character development to give the film depth. There is very little character development ofther than that of Pink. How are you supposed to feel any deep emotions about a "stranger" whose character has not been developed by the other characters?? :D :D
pinktim
Axe
Axe

Never Considered That

Post by pinktim »

Interesting, I had never that point that the Wall movie is like a series of videos of the songs connected together. I kind of think that to be a very valid point.

And, I had never heard that story of Roger's brother being a taxi driver. But, then did he have any brothers or sisters? I always thought he was the only child. Hmmmmm.....

Oh well.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Sorry,my typo mistake,it was Roger's brother in-law!! :wink:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I've always felt that it was a decent movie...but there is one glaring error.

Given the styles of clothing being worn by some of the other characters and such things, the movie seems to take place in the late Seventies/early Eighties.

If Pink's father died while he was an infant in 1944, then Pink would be in his mid to late thirties.

Geldof was in his twenties when he played the part...there seems to be no attempt to make him look old enough.