Pink Floyd - "Oh By The Way" - 40th Anniversary Box Set

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Re: Pink Floyd - "Oh By The Way" - 40th Anniversary Box Set

Post by davidjay »

i almost bought it the other day, but i thought i'd wait and see if santa brings it for xmas. i was describing it to a friend on the phone. i said it was a box with all of the studio albums packaged in mini-lp sleeves and included all of the original posters and and stickers miniaturized. he said, "oh, it's like your pink floyd collection as seen from very far away." i said, "precisely." :D
rami
Embryo
Embryo

Post by rami »

No new remastering, except for Dark Side of course, it's just nonsense that packaging gathers some old remastering and a SACD technology for only one cd. True, the packaging is quite beautiful and the sleeves are really superb - then? Paying doesn't matter as long as you get true quality and i just don't see any. Brillant idea: all studio albums in one set "for the 40 years of the group" haha, what a pathetic event. EMI's politics. As for the poster... like it were essential, who cares? There're plenty of posters to get and any Floyd fan knows it.

No new remastering... no concerts but we're getting used to it, aren't we? It gets me desperate to see how musical industry -but we're in the process of getting used to it- doesn't show interest in Pink Floyd. Let me explain this: musical industry only get involved when "there is plenty of money!" and the group sold so many albums... I mean people still buy the cds, but many more would if the cds were remastered and if there were lives.

Don't misunderstand, i am no frustrated fan. There are bootlegs, and today technology went so far any cd has great sound on great hi-fi. And, 94's masters are good quality. So many bands (shitty, average, good, or crazy bands) had their albums incredibly remastered but not Pink Floyd!

That's why this boxset got me tired.

Music will remain.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I don't see the point of remastering the catalog if they are going to release it in CD format AGAIN. The Columbia 97 remasters and the EMI 94 are good enough for me, even better than the new stereo uber-compressed remasters of the 30th DSoTM CD and 40th PATGoD. Now if they were willing to release them as DVD-A or SACD high resolution audio 2.0, 4.0, or 5.1 channels, then go ahead and remaster all those tapes.
topraman517
Embryo
Embryo

Post by topraman517 »

This is a shameless cash-in, but I can see why some people would want it. So whatever; it's not like they're shoving this box set down our throats.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

i got mine 2day

had to return it, it was missing animals, i noticed it was very hard to read the sleeves of AHM and Obscured
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

Duckboy wrote:i got mine 2day

had to return it, it was missing animals, i noticed it was very hard to read the sleeves of AHM and Obscured
thats pretty piss- poor given what you are paying for it! :shock:
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

its okay i actually wasnt expecting it to come so fast, by the time it comes back it should be about what i expected
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Well, I put little thumb-tacks in my poster and hung it on the wall in my office, threw away the coasters and the box and have just kept the discs, which I am starting to think would look real cool tacked to the wall. 8)
kardyl
Axe
Axe

Post by kardyl »

Duckboy wrote:i got mine 2day

I had to return mine also - missing The Division Bell. Second one arrived with everything in it, no mistakes like some others. Some have the Wall side 3 lyrics twice and some have bung Ummagumma.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer

Post by davidjay »

kardyl wrote:some have bung Ummagumma.
i hadn't heard that before. what exactly do you mean?
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

this whole boxset just seems like a thing they just whipped together because they didnt have time to do anything better, and they didnt even bother to check that they were right before they sent them out
Dirk
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dirk »

davidjay wrote:
kardyl wrote:some have bung Ummagumma.
i hadn't heard that before. what exactly do you mean?
I got one which had Ummagumma disc 1 twice with disc 2 labels printed on them (there was no actual disc 2 on the box).
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

i got mine today but had to return it as the last two albums had roger waters missing :lol:
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer

Post by davidjay »

Dirk wrote:
davidjay wrote: i hadn't heard that before. what exactly do you mean?
I got one which had Ummagumma disc 1 twice with disc 2 labels printed on them (there was no actual disc 2 on the box).
yikes. i better check mine. i looked at the cds, but i haven't listened to ummagumma yet.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

oz1701 wrote:i got mine today but had to return it as the last two albums had roger waters missing :lol:
:smt043 :smt043 :smt043

You never cease to amaze me with your humour Oz!