'Is There Anybody Out There?' sleeve design

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

'Is There Anybody Out There?' sleeve design

Post by decampos »

I don't know about you guys but I think the artwork for 'Is There Anybody Out There?' is utterly awful. I obviously like the juicy photographs but the style of the thing is so un-wall like - There's just none of original Wall feel. One of the first pages has the word 'Wall' with each letter as 3D blocks which just screams 'post-Waters Floyd'. It really bugs me; something which was obviously more Roger's project faggotted up with the revolting Division Bell treatment.

What are your thoughts on this?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Well if you ever say Roger's solo stuffs sleev designs then ITAOT looks like a work of art :lol:
mosespa

Re: 'Is There Anybody Out There?' sleeve design

Post by mosespa »

decampos wrote: the style of the thing is so un-wall like - There's just none of original Wall feel.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it has something to do with the fact it's not a reissue of the original album. It's a live document.

PULSE has little to do with TDB artwork, after all.

ITAOT's packaging is, I think, quite splended. Seeing the latex masks on the front is pretty cool...the whole "wallpaper" effect on the interior covers of the book threw me until I realized..."WALL paper."

Then I felt rather stupid.

But I'm always happy to be outsmarted by PF...keeps me on my toes, you know.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

mosespa wrote: If I had to guess, I'd say that it has something to do with the fact it's not a reissue of the original album. It's a live document.

PULSE has little to do with TDB artwork, after all.
Yeah but Pulse isn't just live Division Bell tunes and anyway, the Pulse artwork does share it's look feel with The Division Bell. They're both full of pretentious and meaningless bits of crap.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

if thats your opinion, then that's your opinion.

personally, i think PULSE works well, combining several albums together, like Echoes has.

ITAOT is brilliant, the 3 dimensional stuff works with the design (and gives the package more 'depth' - rather like the Wall album and shows had)

if you're the expert on pretentious crap - then open up Photoshop and give us a new design.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

Furious wrote: if you're the expert on pretentious crap - then open up Photoshop and give us a new design.
I honestly haven't got the time.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Ok, what does the pulse art actually mean? You mentioned a combination of several albums, but how? I've never quite understood it's front cover.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

god damn it, that actually means finding the cover and having a look.

... from memory, theres all sorts of objects in the iris (ala Echoes) like Bikes, gears etc.

theres the whole feeling that the image is circular, or repeats itself, like Floyd records do

theres water. there pyramids (Dark Side...) there a plane in the sky (learning to Fly), theres the diver from WYWH. the beach reminds me of the cover of AMLOR

in the back, theres also a 'pulse' which in fact directly relates to Dark Side of the Moon taking up most of one of the disks.

a lot of records feature a water theme ( even if only in graphics - meddle, WYWH, momentary lapse ofreason...)

ive got nfi about the tadpoles and the eggs and the birds. i guess theres a lot of birds really

theres a few ive missed, but i cbf getting the cover out and having a look.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

This thread is about the 'Is There Anybody Out There?' artwork.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

decampos wrote:I don't know about you guys but I think the artwork for 'Is There Anybody Out There?' is utterly awful. I obviously like the juicy photographs but the style of the thing is so un-wall like - There's just none of original Wall feel. One of the first pages has the word 'Wall' with each letter as 3D blocks which just screams 'post-Waters Floyd'. It really bugs me; something which was obviously more Roger's project faggotted up with the revolting Division Bell treatment.

What are your thoughts on this?
We all know your irrational distaste for the current Floyd. This said, we are not surprised that you must see/find something bad or disgusting in this "recent" product of PF. It's so obvious.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

decampos wrote:
Yeah but Pulse isn't just live Division Bell tunes and anyway, the Pulse artwork does share it's look feel with The Division Bell. They're both full of pretentious and meaningless bits of crap.
Yep...this thread sure is about ITAOT artwork.

Which, by the way, I feel is pretty darned good. I love the whole section of behind the scenes photos and stuff.

At least, I should say that I'm glad it's not just a bunch of white bricks.
skiffard
Embryo
Embryo

Post by skiffard »

decampos wrote:This thread is about the 'Is There Anybody Out There?' artwork.
-Nothing wrong in having a conversation that doesnt limit it self to a single topic... (-;
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

mosespa wrote: ... Which, by the way, I feel is pretty darned good. I love the whole section of behind the scenes photos and stuff.

At least, I should say that I'm glad it's not just a bunch of white bricks.
Ok, I'll concede a little, the sections with the semi-tranparent pages are pretty cool and so are the masks on the front.