Pink Floyd - "Oh By The Way" - 40th Anniversary Box Set

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd - "Oh By The Way" - 40th Anniversary Box Set

Post by Duckboy »

i really like the wau it looks but im not sure that justifies me buying it,i like the plastic animals on the table
Rasher
Axe
Axe

Post by Rasher »

I like Storms early work but I'm not over keen on the outside graphic of the box set. And why did they choose to put a sticky little 40 year logo on each disc so you don't actually get a repro label! And why no plastic sleeves like on the superb Japanese issues (I have nearly all of those and they're very very very worthwhile, sonically too, top job). And why choose the dog label over the sheep? Picky I know, but hey this doesn't look like a celebration of 40 years to me. I also notice that some labels on the discs don't match my vinyl originals.

Does anyone here have any evidence for the limited edition claims?

Amazon.com do not mention limited edition in the description, instead they say "special edition" (uk Amazon says limited). Is it possible there are two versions, one limited and the other special? Maybe there really was a 10,000 limit and thats why the US site couldn't get any, so more were made?

If it was only 10,000 why weren't they numbered?

Its interesting that The Wall Live (ITAOT) was a limited edition and hasn't yet sold out.
I also saw a copy of the limited edition 3 disc PATGOD in HMV yesterday, so how limited was that. The price was low too, almost bargain bin.

I don't think potential buyers should bank on exclusivity here, unless anyone else here can prove otherwise.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

I've got a sealed Pulse with longbox and flashing light that of course isn't made any more (they phased the light out), but even this is only worth what I paid for it. If people actually buy that box set thinking it's going to be worth money then I think it's their loss. Even if there are only 10,000 made, there would need to be something special about it for it to increase significantly in value and I'm not sure what that would be. It may increase in value for Storm Thorgerson fans since it's the only place to get some of his artwork.
omnicron
Knife
Knife
Location: Chasing after falling stars and forever "On the Run"

Post by omnicron »

want to increase the value of the set? toss it in the bin and start over, this time with quality material that we dont already have multiple releases of.
that would sell 100,000 units and not 10,000 messed up ones.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Freddie Mercury wrote:Even if there are only 10,000 made, there would need to be something special about it for it to increase significantly in value and I'm not sure what that would be.
A poster and some coasters. :lol:

I threw the coasters away, hung the poster up with tacks and threw the box away. Read Mind Over Matter and see Storms' thoughts on those that keep everything in pristine shape. I think I will throw out my WYWH plastic wrapping.

Cheers!
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Haha. :) Yeah I could see how something like my limited-edition gold MFSL Wall discs might increase in value some, since they were well-done (and are gold). But cheap aluminum CD (CDs generally not being that collectible as vinyl to audiophiles in the first place) reprints of 20-40 year old albums in possibly worse sound quality than before - in the age of SACD - doesn't seem like the first thing a collector would go after in the future. I can't generally see a reprint of an album on CD, unless there's something really special about it, being worth too much. Especially after something better probably comes out for the 50th anniversary.

I guess in that case it could gain some collector value for its campiness, like "Look I have the infamous 40th Anniversary box set rather than the good 50th one", in which case it might increase in value since people view it as a misstep. Come to think of it, maybe I should buy one :)
Rasher
Axe
Axe

Post by Rasher »

Just noticed Amazon uk have reduced the price of Oh By The Way by a tenner, its now £134.
Like I said in another post, I returned mine when I saw how naffly it had been done. I may well buy it again when it hits the bargain bin at around £40. Thats probably a fairer price. Hmmpf Pink Floyd in the bargain bin, I never thought I'd see the day. Hope you're happy emi!
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Everybody is blaming EMI's choices, I'm not defending them, but aren't ALL the major labels losing market nowadays with the internet and file-sharing and all that stuff? Which major label do you think would be better than EMI in handling the PF catalog? Aren't all the same now? SONY-BMG? Universal? Warner? I think the problem now is that the physical sales market was reduced to the collectors, hard-core and medium-core fans, who actually care for a complete album of music and not just one song. Soft-core buying public (80% of BIG labels market) only wants a couple of songs, the hits, so they either buy them on itunes or download them on filesahring networks ilegally. So if they want to survive they need to focus their physical releases on the hardcore fans and their digital downloads on the mainstream buying public....

....whatever, that was my lonely-horny saturday midnite rant....
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

danielcaux wrote:Everybody is blaming EMI's choices, I'm not defending them, but aren't ALL the major labels losing market nowadays with the internet and file-sharing and all that stuff? Which major label do you think would be better than EMI in handling the PF catalog? Aren't all the same now? SONY-BMG? Universal? Warner? I think the problem now is that the physical sales market was reduced to the collectors, hard-core and medium-core fans, who actually care for a complete album of music and not just one song. Soft-core buying public (80% of BIG labels market) only wants a couple of songs, the hits, so they either buy them on itunes or download them on filesahring networks ilegally. So if they want to survive they need to focus their physical releases on the hardcore fans and their digital downloads on the mainstream buying public....

....whatever, that was my lonely-horny saturday midnite rant....
Actually you're right: I think EMI's plan was they could easily give some great packaging to the CDs for the dwindling number of people who want a sophisticated-looking physical product rather than a download, which isn't a bad idea. The problem is they didn't do that :)
omnicron
Knife
Knife
Location: Chasing after falling stars and forever "On the Run"

Post by omnicron »

nosaj wrote: I threw the coasters away, and threw the box away.
Cheers!
why even buy it then?
Kojima-naked
Blade
Blade

Post by Kojima-naked »

I saw the obtw box at virgin megastore this weekend, I soo wanted to pick it up, but since ive already invested so much in the other cds no point in getting it now since I have a turntable and have started collecting vinyl. Though I do love the design of the box, I may make a vinyl sized replica of the box for my vinyl set. but I did see an eagles box set but limited to 20000, doesnt make it that rare even if it is numbered. though the biggest difference between the japenese issues, 1 they were really limited, they did have a good mastering, but for the 250$ you would be lucky to get dsotm, meddle, and the wall alone if you bought them today. so not all bad new for oh by the way.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Limited edition of 10,000 my a**! They are now on sale at HMV here in town, 'cause they can't even sell a mere 10,000 of them? Or, did they print way more?
darkside_andy
Axe
Axe

Post by darkside_andy »

My copy of the Animals album didn't have the correct inner sleeve - just a plain plastic anti-static sleeve. If anyone else is missing the correct black card inner with lyrics then those nice people at EMI seem happy to oblige.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

darkside_andy wrote:My copy of the Animals album didn't have the correct inner sleeve - just a plain plastic anti-static sleeve. If anyone else is missing the correct black card inner with lyrics then those nice people at EMI seem happy to oblige.
at least you got animals in yours
shockwave6668
Embryo
Embryo

Post by shockwave6668 »

I already have all the "major" floyd albums..from Meddle to TDB..on LP and CD (remastered)..so why invest on a boxed set that only has the remastered tracks i already have?! lazy sell out..almost as bad as ACOGDS except the fact that at least it had a little "new" material..i think i'll pass on this set..shame..all the music stores i've been to (best buy, circuit city) do not even carry this box set in stock..i wonder why..packaging i'm sure is great but nothing new for my 5.1 INFINITY system..