weird?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
camus
Embryo
Embryo

weird?

Post by camus »

i find myself infatuated by the acoustic guitar played by (roger?) during the wall and animals live performances... i am wondering if any roio or anything exists, that contains JUST the single tracks... of each person... call me weird, but it is my obsession to hear these more clearly.. i want the tracks they used to compile ITAOT:80-81... how difficult would it be, aside from breaking into people's houses :) i have been banging on my guitars, a gibson 1960 acoustic and a yamaha 12 string... and have not been able to reproduce this sound... any help i would DIE for!! thanks!
Greg
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Greg »

i think roger uses ovations and martins. yes, i know the tone that your talking about. i cant quite hit it either.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Get a nice EQ and signal processor and patch your new Ovation through that!! :D
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

There are so many variables involved in achieving a certain sound aside from the instrument itself. His acoustic does have a very unique sound to it for sure. I have a Fender DG22CE which produces a very rich sound that is very much like that of the acoustic on Animals. Once I plug it in though, it's completely different. I'm sure that "sound" was created through the series of amps and mixing boards it was wired to. I also have another Fender acoustic that sounds completely different from my other one. If you do figure it out, let me know.
camus
Embryo
Embryo

Post by camus »

the sound is definately unique. but it is more of a picking style, maybe a little echo, but moreso how he is banging out all the graces. i guess thats what i'm trying to reproduce. i found a live version of Mother with a fairly attentive crowd, which also lets me hear much more of this strange "improv" style. nobody knows the method but the man himself. i believe he is playing ten times louder than the mixer is allowing to come through. the only way i can come close to it is by hammering on the strings!

will be a long time before i get an instrument that can do this *well* :)

too bad Rick Wright and Roger didnt get along. i would love to hear more of their playing attenuate. anyone know what kind of style RICK is playing, in mother, and the entire Wall Live? its pure genious to me :)

thanks for all your insight! glad to hear from others who've noticed too... thanks!
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Over the weekend I'm going to throw in the ITF DVD and pay closer attention to his acoustic playing style.
camus
Embryo
Embryo

Post by camus »

awesome. so you play? i have a "Synsonics Pro Series" crap acoustic, bought it for 60$ at the pawn shop because it had a pickup. i've had better recording come from my Gibson (mentioned above) with a cheap mic stuck inside it! my recording setup is fairly primative, but its working... i'm plugging everything into my soundcard :) i'm having a wonderful time learning. i'm even working on my own rendition of a few floyd songs, while i enhance my skill. i just wish someone would turn up with all the raw tracks from ITABOT or for that matter, anything :) let me know what you find.

BTW there is a popular boot of POTWp2 where Mr Waters lectures the crowd, then i believe he goes on to play the BEST i've heard that song... the whole band really lights up. maybe you've heard it? the same strange "linguistics" or whatever can be heard fairly clearly on the copy i've got.

many people who dislike Roger are telling me it ISNT Roger playing the acoustic on these songs, that he sucks at all instruments. they say it is Snowy playing the delightful acoustic guitar i'm hearing. i dont know who to believe, because i would hate to be an idiot. maybe THIS forum can clear it up for me, once and for all? i have no videos yet, so who should i credit my venture to? Waters or White?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

The "raw tracks" that you speak of are owned by EMI...the only way to get your hands on them is to go to EMI and ask if you can listen to them.

Of course the chances of this happening are about as good as a full reunion of Floyd with Roger and Syd.

Nothing wrong with dreaming...it would be nice to be able to get one's hands on the original multi-tracks...I've fantasized about it myself...but that's all it is...a fantasy.

Chances are most of the original multi-track tapes were recorded over soon after a master copy was made. This is common practice in the recording industry.

The tape that Floyd originally recorded Wish you Were Here on could have later been used to record a Badfinger album or something.

Almost seems sacreligious, huh?
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

mosespa,

Respond to some of your pm's on your user account or accounts.

Thank you