Breakthrough versus Wearing the Inside Out

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Breakthrough versus Wearing the Inside Out

Post by Annoying Twit »

Does anyone agree with me that Breakthrough is a better song than Wearing the Inside Out? And that The Division Bell would have been a better album with B on it rather than WtIO?

I don't actually own the _Meltdown_ DVD yet, so don't have the more "Floydish" version of the song.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Breakthrough versus Wearing the Inside Out

Post by Hudini »

I wouldn't agree with you. "Wearing The Inside Out" and "Breakthrough" are two completely different songs, in a completely different feel. For me, "Wearing The Inside Out" is the best tune on "The Division Bell" and without it I would have never listened to the album again since I first heard it. Besides that, I think Sinead O'Connor gives "Breakthrough" a little bit of extra magic and it would not be such a great song if Rick recorded the vocals himself. I like hearing his voice on a record, but for me he does spoil the feeling of "Reaching For The Rail" when his voice comes in.

Now I would gladly play "Meltdown" to refresh my memory of Rick singing "Breakthrough", but I gave that DVD to someone who never returned it, and I forgot who that one was. Goddamn!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

One thing I can say, is that I was listening to Rick's vocal tracks on Broken China and Wearing the Inside Out...I have to say I prefer a number of tracks on his solo album to that track on DB.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

nosaj wrote:One thing I can say, is that I was listening to Rick's vocal tracks on Broken China and Wearing the Inside Out...I have to say I prefer a number of tracks on his solo album to that track on DB.
Which ones?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I kinda like Night of a Thousand Fury Toys, and two later songs, I can't remeber the titles of now...maybe Reaching for the Harbour Wall and the last song?
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

I have admitted that I don't know beans about music but I love Wearing The Inside Out. I love the sax, I love the background vocals, I love the lyrics, love the song. Have to pick it. No offense to Breakthrough.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

i prefer Breakthrough. While i like Wearing on DB, i thought the live versions where just so boring (felt like something from the first set :lol: ), but the live version of Breakthrough is just awesome, especially Gilmis solo!
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Breakthrough from the album is, imo, unlistnable piece of shite.
That "other", Gilmour version is practically a completely different song ...and I like it alot.
But I still prefer wearing the inside out ...both versions - from ofg tour and from division bell.
Probably one of the best songs from that album.
Zarquon
Blade
Blade

Post by Zarquon »

Damn!t wrote:Breakthrough from the album is, imo, unlistnable piece of shite.
That "other", Gilmour version is practically a completely different song ...and I like it alot.
But I still prefer wearing the inside out ...both versions - from ofg tour and from division bell.
Probably one of the best songs from that album.
WOAH! Its not that different :)
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Harold »

There is an un-released version of "Breakthrough", or at least with another ending, with a guitar-solo by Mr Gilmour. It was cut due to the lack of space on the CD. (Information from the record company)

I am not sure it would be possible to put "Breakthrough" on TDB as it is a part of an another concept. The best way had been if BC was recorded by Pink Floyd...
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Peter Harold wrote:There is an un-released version of "Breakthrough", or at least with another ending, with a guitar-solo by Mr Gilmour. It was cut due to the lack of space on the CD. (Information from the record company)
Dave also recorded solos for "Along The Shoreline", but it was also cut out. Rick speaks about that in an interview from 1997. I don't know if the interview is still somewhere on the internet, I came across it some 3 or 4 years ago.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Peter Harold wrote: I am not sure it would be possible to put "Breakthrough" on TDB as it is a part of an another concept. The best way had been if BC was recorded by Pink Floyd...
That's what I meant, a Floyd re-record. Possibly with modified/new lyrics to fit the concept.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I still don't buy that there is much of a concept to Broken China. I had to read that there was a concept on Wright's site...I don't see it. Besides, the songs on Broken China fit very nice with the Division Bell and On an Island...I have a great mix in the woods.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Supposedly the album is all about his wife's depression or something, but never really seen it in the lyrics myself
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Actually his ex-wife's depression and attempts of suicide, as I figured out from that interview I mentioned. And I find that theme in the lyrics easily.