David Gilmour in Concert - Channel 4 at 00:35 on 21st Oct

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

David Gilmour in Concert - Channel 4 at 00:35 on 21st Oct

Post by Keith Jordan »

David Gilmour in Concert - Channel 4 at 00:35 on 21st Oct.

Click here for more info or post your thoughts below.
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

maybe it's to give poor sods like me who haven't got dvd players a chance to see it. (or has it been released on video as well?)
mostHigh
Axe
Axe

Post by mostHigh »

THIS DVD IS GONNA BE TERRIBLE, ONLY ABOUT 142 PEOPLE WILL BUY THIS :(
FloydNZ
Blade
Blade

Post by FloydNZ »

The program is only 1 hr 5 mins long......i'm sure it's just to help sell the dvd......if it had been the full concert then they would have really been shooting themselves in the foot
Pinkerton

Post by Pinkerton »

mostHigh wrote:THIS DVD IS GONNA BE TERRIBLE, ONLY ABOUT 142 PEOPLE WILL BUY THIS :(
WHY????????

I was at the gig and It rocked, so why shouldnt the DVD?
also its directed by David Mallett, If you do youre homework on concert videos he is the best out there.
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

well it's bound to be terrible to someone who only likes Waters :wink:

I taped the Meltdown highlights show, watched it on Monday, - seems I'm one of the few people who liked it.

Opinions (expanded from my posts on Laughing Madcaps)
I thought it mostly worked - liked his different style, reinterpreting the songs. Funny moments - Channel 4 crediting him as "Dave", (thought he hated that), when it looked like he was having to signal to the croud to quieten down, and couldn't help laughing when he sang the "put on any more layers" line - (sorry :-) just thinking along the lines of Keith's joke photo).

Shine On You Crazy Diamond was vocally reinterpreted - David gave it more of a folk/country feel -stripped away the cold dark floating in space
distance & empty grandeur, and gave it warmth.
He made it more human, more like something affectionate said straight to a friend. I love the origanal but this version just felt so right.

"That was about our old friend Sydney who really did have a light in his
eye and a spring in his step"
just wish they'd kept in Terrapin, should have gone straight into it - I suddenly remembered what the next song was going to be, nearly forgot how to breathe waiting for him to start, and.. straight to commercials and
then a jump to fat old sun (which I knew I knew but couldn't place - despite having heard both the original and David's radio 2 acoustic version recently)

Very glad they kept in Robert Wyatt's guest appearance (I read once that people actually complained about his TV performance of Shipbuilding - because he was moving in his wheelchair to the music, like there - called it obscene) My new favourite version of Comfortably Numb. This songs always been one of the closest things to traveling with my mind for me but have to focus beyond the negatively of Rogers parts (I know they fit the concept of the song/the wall but I just have a problem with them).
Wyatt's vocals fitted - were comforting, more persuasive, much more of a threat than someone who's obviously scary.

When the last part of SOYCD started and it went electric, back to what the song's expected to sound like it was like I'd suddenly woken up out of a perfect dream that had lasted forever.

Thought Hushabye Mountain would have been corny but it wasn't (the goodnight at the end was a bit though but great at the same time) don't know how he got away with it but he did, it worked - a perfect ending.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Wish they'd kept in Rick's contribution, too. Apparently the audience goes ape... uh, lit. (Haven't seen the full version yet.)

I liked the performances. Bit stripped, though. Sometimes I just wanted Earls Court. Y'know, landing lights, lazer show, stuff like that! Love a good stadium pomp rock show. In moderation, of course.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I would bet that if Roger got back in P-F the same ones bitching about Dave would shut thier pieholes.So people just hate Dave for being Dave and they will never change.They loved him when Roger was in P-F, after Roger left the rest was trash.It really is a joke.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Edited to comply with rules. These rules sure have done a lot of good. Oh wait, the traffic in here is down and so are the number of daily posts. Why? Maybe because the only people who wanted these rules are already populating a certain board. Oh can't you see? It all makes perfect sense.
Last edited by Real Pink in the Inside on Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

YOU HATE DAVE RPITY ADMIT IT, GILMOUR HATER.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

RPITI you are on the verge of going the same place moshHigh went. Observe the rules.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

The only rule I can see I am somehow breaking is "No personal attacks on Members of Pink Floyd past or present or other board members."

I am simply saying I have little respect for Gilmour. I think he is a very fine guitarist and singer, but nothing more really. How am I personally attacking David, Keith? Just because Bong says I hate Gilmour doesn't mean I hate Gilmour. I don't really hate anyone I know personally, let alone someone I've never met and probably never will meet.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

I love David Gilmour. OMG! Hearing him sing brings me to my knees! He is more than just a fine guitarist and singer! Obviously! I mean, he must be a great person. Yes, I will say he's a great person even though I do not know him personally. I LOVE HIM! OMG!!!! Let's all get together in a chat room and praise David Gilmour's DVD sometime! OMG! :lol:

Better?
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

I have edited my original post in here to comply with the rules.
Last edited by Real Pink in the Inside on Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I personally prefer the Waters led Floyd as I think the Gilmour led Floyd lacked depth but constantly hammering that opinion on this message board is not allowed because most people have formed ther views and are sick of it. That is being honest.

As I have said before, you are a very welcome member of this message board but the rules are to be observed and not ignored. No Waters Vs Gilmour. Don't deny it. I am not stupid and can see between the lines and beyond the text.