More Live Releases?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

More Live Releases?

Post by MoreOrLess »

When I first heard about Is there anybody out there I thought it might be the first in a line of Floyd live releases. Since then iv not really heard anything though and im starting to wonder if any of the other live stuff will see the light of day. It seems such a waste to me as the wall live is pretty identical to the studio version. Im pretty sure the band recorded a very high percentage of there shows so the possabilitys for live releases are massive.Your could have say...

4CD set with a disc each for live versions of DSOTM, WYWH and Animals as well as a disc of the best of the ealier stuff.

A release charting the devolpment of DOSTM live starting with escplise from 72 working though the album like versions of 73 to the massively exetended versions of 74/75.

A release of the Man and Journey shows from 1969 along with maybe other rarre live stuff like embyro, the violent sequence and the theme from more.

I know pink floyd are not the sort of band who release stuff unless its considered "important" (I couldnt see them releasing say a 1 off dated concert) and I think most of the above would be considered that.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Nothing would please me more than a nice, juicy 4CD box set. I wonder whose 'responsibility' it is, though - EMI or 'Pink Floyd'? Who needs to get their act together here?!

Thing is, probably everyone here has spent years collating vast amounts of singles, videos and ROIO's, so it would be kind of annoying to have official releases of Eclipse and the '69 suites etc after having spent so much Time and Money, even if the sound quality was improved.

Personally I think they should release all the group's BBC radio recordings - particularly Echoes and Dark Side '74. I'd buy it. :)
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Personally I think they should release all the group's BBC radio recordings - particularly Echoes and Dark Side '74. I'd buy it.
You might have something there, do you remmber the led zep BBC sessions release from a few of years ago? Well the reason it came out was not because zep wanted to release it but because the BBC held the rights to the recordings and so could release them after 25 years with or without zeps approvel. I wonder if the sames true of floyds BBC sessions?
Jintzey
Axe
Axe

Post by Jintzey »

Actually, there IS a Pink Floyd BBC sessions 4-cd set available. It's called Pink Floyd - BBC Broadcasts. I don't know how "official" it is though, but some people say that it is. It's widely traded as an RoIO but the set I have is professionally packaged and printed, and comes with a nice booklet with photographs, concert posters, etc.

This link gives some information about the set:
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cm3k-iitk/p ... dcasts.htm

The box set is done by Bedrock Records, says it's (c)1999 by them, and includes their address (which is in the USA). Apparently it's a limited edition of 1000 copies, since mine says 410 of 1000 on it. The discs themselves say "Not for Sale, Promotional Copy" on them so I guess they were originally given out and never actually sold in a store (or weren't supposed to be anyway). I aquired my copy from eBay so I don't know where the seller obtained it originally. According to various sources around the net, it sells for about $65.

Anyone know any more information about this set? What is this business about it being a promo copy? Is it official or not?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

An official release? It's CDR!
Jintzey
Axe
Axe

Post by Jintzey »

I know it is, and a very nicely done one at that. I didn't say that *I* thought it was official, but alot of people I ask about it say it is. Perhaps people are fooled into thinking it's official because it looks so professional. Maybe it's unofficially official, hehe. :wink:
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

I actually prefer the ''raw'' recordings of live shows more than the doctored versions that officail releases are like. although, I'd like to see some of the very early shows, with syd at the helm. Some of the recordings with the early improvisations and certain songs that were only performed once, and then only on spur of the moment would be nice. O.k., I've got a few songs that have VERY bad sound quality, that I'd like to have atleast an improved version of them, though the crystal clear sound that new live albums although, a nice touch, I don't find that necessary. Things like audience noise,
problems with sound and equipment etc. I don't mind that kinda stuff in a live album. I say it gives you more of a feel for what its like to have been at the show.