David Gilmour banned for drink driving?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

David Gilmour banned for drink driving?

Post by Keith Jordan »

I didn't know David had been banned for drink driving in the mid 80s! haha Check out this video interview....

http://www.3news.co.nz/Video/Entertainm ... aspx#video

Anyone know of that? It was because he was looking out of a car window whilst being driven somewhere that he bought the Astoria Houseboat and made it into a stufio.

On a second note, that video is one of the most unprofessionally edited things I have ever seen. Looks like it was done by a media studies high school student! :lol:

http://www.3news.co.nz/InsideDavidGilmo ... fault.aspx
He has toured around the world with Pink Floyd and hit the road with his own solo show - but David Gilmour still reckons there is no place like home.

The famous British guitarist, singer and songwriter let us have a tour around his base, a houseboat moored on a tranquil stretch of the River Thames.

The place is his special hideaway, somewhere he discovered by accident - as Gilmour explains:

"Well I was driving down this road here one day in '86 I guess it probably was. I had been banned from driving for drink driving for a year, being silly. So I was being driven, rather than driving myself, and as you're driven you sort of look out of the windows a lot more and as we drove along we looked, I looked out, and I saw this metal work on the top over the wall, and I said to the chap driving: "Can we just pull over here and have a look?" And we pulled over and we stood on the pavement, we stood on the corner there and peered over and looked down and saw this incredible boat and this water and work on the top. And I though 'Oh, that's fantastic.'"

The boat is called the Astoria, it was built a century ago, at the then-enormous cost of 20,000 pounds, for Fred Karno, a music-hall impresario whose protégés included the young Charlie Chaplin.

It boasts Edwardian elegance with mahogany-panelled cabins, marble bathrooms and mother-of-pearl light switches.

Luckily Gilmour came across it again:

"About two weeks later I was in the dentist waiting room and I picked up a Country Life and there it was for sale in this Country Life by pure coincidence. So I rang them up and came down and had a look and bought it. I didn't even think about putting a studio in it at first. It was just very, very beautiful, a magical place."

Most of his work over the last two decades was mixed and assembled aboard the Astoria.

The post-Waters Pink Floyd albums The Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse of Reason were recorded here, as were Gilmour's solo albums, including On An Island.

David says: "Well it's lovely to be here, you know, to have the water gently drifting past us and all that, and I like to have windows. You know I've spent rather too much time in studios and most of them don't have windows, and I can't stand being in places that don't have windows."

Gilmour's latest project is a solo album and tour, captured on David Gilmour Live in Gdansk, a double concert album and DVD.

Recorded during the final date of Gilmour's 2006 On An Island tour, it's as meaty a package as you'd expect from a prog-rock colossus and features classic Floyd tracks like 'High Hopes', 'Comfortably Numb', 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' and the 25-minute 'Echoes'.

"I'm a musician, it's what I do. It's my chosen vocation and as you said that itch suddenly at some point every once in a while starts making itself felt and you want to scratch it," he explains.

"The visible part that you see, that the public sees is, you know, from the moment the album is released and the tour happens 'til the end of the tour, really. And that is a six months period, but that's a six months period that's sort of in the middle of a four to five year period for me of solid hard work of writing, recording."

David Gilmour Live in Gdansk is being released by Columbia Records on September 23rd 2008.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: David Gilmour banned for drink driving?

Post by Damn!t »

Cool, thanks for this.
Well, he used get high with cocain and god knows what, so a litlle
drink and drive accident must have been from that post Waters pre amlor era also.
Nothing new about it really. He likes alcohol.
You can see him alot with a glass of wine in his hand on the RAH dvd documentary.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Thats funny, I didn't think the Floyds would have any bother with the law, except Waters. Waters strikes me as the kind of guy who would shoot and eat a swan, and video himself doing it.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

my breakfast. wrote:Waters strikes me as the kind of guy who would shoot and eat a swan, and video himself doing it.
:lol: I am sure he would. He has a nice big lake in his back garden. I am sure he takes shots at all sorts!!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

You should go join him, however he will probably use a panzer or a tiger tank or something.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I can just imagine him shouting at the top of his voice, RUN LIKE HELL!!!!

Anyway, are there any news reports of Gilmour's drink driving event?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Maybe it got hushed up, a bit like our beloved tracker.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

my breakfast. wrote:Maybe it got hushed up, a bit like our beloved tracker.
I'm pretty sure I read about this before somewhere ....
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Beowulf wrote:
my breakfast. wrote:Maybe it got hushed up, a bit like our beloved tracker.
I'm pretty sure I read about this before somewhere ....

Shhhhhhhhh! Simmer down!
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Well, DG is the one who brought it up!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I guess after recording all that rapping for Not Now John he decided he wanted to join some of Compton's finest at being a "bad dawg".
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

my breakfast. wrote:I guess after recording all that rapping for Not Now John he decided he wanted to join some of Compton's finest at being a "bad dawg".
... or maybe not
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

Who are we to judge we've all had our moments.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

It is hard at times to think that the almost stately David Gilmour of today was once a cocaine-snortin', beer swillin' woman chasin' wild man. :D
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Who are we to judge we've all had our moments.