PF Concert and RoIO Database Project 2007 (NPF)

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: PF Concert and RoIO Database Project 2007 (NPF)

Post by bpmolder »

Fair enough. Please do us a favor then, Keith:

When people come here acting out, spamming our threads with whinings about being picked on and misunderstood, please try to do something about it then, as certain people (like me) are going to feel compelled to challenge said whinings if I feel they are unwarranted, despite the threat of warnings or bannings.

Fair enough?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

If you are not familiar with the "report a post" feature of the board, then please look at the left hand side of every post and notice the report post link - its a red exclamation mark. You can use that to report things you feel bothered by when you feel someone is consistently breaking the forum rules. The rules are not generally applied like the law but rather in the spirit of keeping the board happy in general!!
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

You're right, Keith. It's easier to handle it that way. Noted.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Just as a note, I have been working on the Pink Floyd Concert Database for a few hours today! Currently, it will just list concerts for Pink Floyd and solo members concerts. Just dates, venues, countries and city.

It is very basic and under-developed at present but have made it "live" so search engines can start indexing it and eventually including all its content on the search engines.

It is going to take me a fair while to add all the concerts as I have to type them all in manually. Exciting!!

So... take a look at it as it stands below (it may be a little temperamental sometimes as and when I am working on it) and feel free to make comments about how it is, how you would like it to be in future, ideas about features and additional info etc.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/pfcdb/

Remember, it is work in progress!

Once I have added all the concerts, I may add set lists, links from the set list songs to the song lyrics. Also, click on the venue to show all gigs done there and the same with city, country etc.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

S-sweet :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

There are 332 concerts listed for 5 bands now. I have been busy typing away!! :lol:

I shall have them all added in the next month or so I imagine!! That will give me something to do and keep me out of trouble!!

Have a look, its coming together now...

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/pfcdb/

A good thing is, if you look at the page for a particular gig, if you click the venue, it will display all the concers that band played at that venue. Good trivia if you ask me! haha. Eventually, you will be able to do the same for the city and country for each band in question.

I am only up to the end of 1968 in terms of inputting concerts so may be of limited use right now!!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Once I have the software developed to Version 1 stage, I may release it unto the world... or a select group of people with PHP/SQL programming skills for them to look over and see if there are any security issues.

The front end only retrieves data from the database. So the only issue would be SQL injections when passing integer variables to the php script. But I think I have those covered with the code I am using in the way that I have separated the user input - which ends up in the URL - and the SQL query being sent to the database. I have all sorts of cleansing to make sure it is just integers being sent and nothing else!! In particular, I am initialising the variables from the URL and am using the PHP function mysql_real_escape_string to escape/cleanse the strings being passed into my scripts. That should prevent SQL Injections.... I hope! I have tested the scripts to see if I can inject and have failed! Good!!

So.... I may well make the thing open source. I need to develop the back end a lot more in terms of the admin user interface. So far, I just have a simple page for entering concerts where I can choose variables already in the database from a drop down list, or type new ones to be included. It is a very nice form actually. I am quite proud of it!!

Anyway... I just applied the new site theme to the PFcdb section. I shall continue adding the concerts tomorrow I think until they are all in. Then cleanse the database to clean up any errors. I have noticed a few so far, like having some concerts at a certain venue in the wrong town! Easy enough to fix.

When all the concerts are in, the next feature I will be adding is to show all the concerts by all bands at the particular venue associated with the concert you are viewing.

Anyway.... I am surprised nobody is suggesting features they would like to see!!!
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

I would definitely appreciate the set lists, Keith. Looks very good so far! I like the venue feature. Nice touch.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Indeed, set lists would be a nice addition. I am also going to tag each concert with its corresponding tour name so you can call up all concerts on a particular show. And who performed at the concerts would be easy too for the main band. Other musicians may take a little while to research.

You would then be able to see all concerts where they performed a certain song, the first time they played a certain song live, band members gigs etc. Should produce some nice facts for the avid fan and writers about the band!! Will certainly help me in writing my Brief History of Pink Floyd book which is what caused me to start this project in the first place.

Other feature requests??

Features To Develop

1 - Add set lists
2 - Add tour names
3 - Add performers
4 - ....any more suggestions???
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The project is coming along nicely.

When you view the page of a particular concerts, it also shows you all the times they played that venue and all the times they played that city.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/pfcdb ... php?cid=25
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

This is looking really good Keith, I just used it for the first time to check some info on a bootleg. 8)

What happened to the Pink Floyd Wiki we had on here, has it been disabled or am I not looking in the right place ?
Last edited by Stephen on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Wasn't it shut down because of spambot bastards ruining it?
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I think you might be right now you mention it. If it still exists is it possible to convert it to PDF or whatever and provide a download link as it seems a shame to not have all that work accessible?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I have the wiki still on my computer. The thing got absolutely flooded with spam and loads of its pages deleted and destroyed!!
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

So it's still in an undamaged state on your PC then ? hint, hint :wink: