YOUR REVIEWS of Live in Gdansk - Post them here!

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

YOUR REVIEWS of Live in Gdansk - Post them here!

Post by Keith Jordan »

Well... I am working on mine still! Post your reviews of the CDs/DVDs on this thread! 8)

Here is my full review complete with loads of photos of the goods!

http://neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/index.php ... -cd-review
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: YOUR REVIEWS of Live in Gdansk - Post them here!

Post by oz1701 »

if only - hasn't arrived in the shops here yet :(

i have heard the audio and it will be purchased as soon as it arrives in the shops - i hate waiting.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Do have a read of my review and please let me know if you spot any mistakes/typos/rubbish!! Also, please do share any feedback as not many people have seen it yet, so there is time to work on it before it gets announced in the site newsletter!!

http://neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/index.php ... -cd-review
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

Keith. Well done. I read it, but did not check for typos etc. (I do that at work, so can't be arsed in my leisure time).

I do believe the quality of the dvds surpasses that of Remember That Night in terms of editing and image quality.

I can't listen to the album On an Island. However, I can watch David perform those songs live and enjoy them a bit more.
I. M. He
Embryo
Embryo

Post by I. M. He »

God, I haven't posted on this Forum in a dog's age (Dog Age, now there's a fine Norwegian band eh?)
I received the 5 disc box from Amazon.uk earlier this week and - like Mr. Jordan - was totally blown away by it's contents... I have to admit I'm like a little kid when it comes to the prizes in the bottom of the cereal box. And man, this box has some very cool prizes indeed.
At this point I've only watched Disc 3 thus far, and all I can say is it's given me a totally new appreciation for 'On An Island' (really looking forward to the 5.1 Surround version that's on disc 4 :D )
I'm wondering though, after reading Keith's review and checking out the web content on disc 3 (thanks for the headsup sir), is this just going to include the contents of disc 5 of the box? (The first download is track 1, twelve tracks on the cd and one download a month for a year... I ain't no genius but...) Which, don't get me wrong, is great for those who buy the CD/DVD version - but what's in it for us? Guess I should shut my mouth and just be happy with my prizes :)

-mk-
I. M. He
Embryo
Embryo

Post by I. M. He »

I. M. He wrote:...I'm wondering though, after reading Keith's review and checking out the web content on disc 3 (thanks for the headsup sir), is this just going to include the contents of disc 5 of the box? (The first download is track 1, twelve tracks on the cd and one download a month for a year... I ain't no genius but...) Which, don't get me wrong, is great for those who buy the CD/DVD version - but what's in it for us? Guess I should shut my mouth and just be happy with my prizes :)

-mk-
:oops:
After reading further, I got to the Web Content thread and saw that there's already been one previous track - 'Wots... Uh... The Deal', so I went back and uploaded the Java installer thing and sure enough it was there. Looks like I'll be checking back on the first of each month after all.

-mk-
omnicron
Knife
Knife
Location: Chasing after falling stars and forever "On the Run"

Post by omnicron »

I got the 5 disc set, I must say while it is quite nice, I could have done without so much OAI content.

I dont like the rererelease of all the session material, I think it was a way to milk yet more money out of something that I already own multiple releases of (officail at that!)

the extras are nice, but I ask... how many freakin times do they plan to rererelease the session material?

The main target audience of the Gdansk set already have the AOL sessions, Mermaid Theater and Abbey Road from the extra disc from OAI, the SD RTN and the HD RTN.

Another Oh by the way fiasco....

I wish they would have left off the material that they already rereleased and included more new material, or left it out completely and reduced the price.

The goodies are nice, the audio is nice, the rereleases suck ass.
Im guessing next there will be a bluray release of the set [-(
I do not like the way Gilmour seems to be trying to milk his hardcore fanbase with the same old shit we already have that is less then 2 years old.

My final opinion:
While the 5 disc set is nice, I feel the constant rererererelease of material is getting quit tiresome and is starting to leave a bad taste for me.
if it wasnt for the goodies, I most likely would have downloaded the set from piratebay and saved my cash.
I give it 2 out of 5 stars... and this is coming from a big fan of his work.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

thanks for the review Keith - it seemed very complete - did you notice any artifacts on the dvd ?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

oz1701 wrote:did you notice any artifacts on the dvd ?
What sort of artefacts?

I agree with Omnicron! I don't think it is a very nice practice to record a session then distribute it over several products so you "have" to buy the several products in order to watch the whole thing!! I think that is a little disappointing. But, that said, I didn't really want to watch the sessions as they don't interest me. I have seen them! :lol:

I would still get the 5 disc version though to see the barn jams as they are new. And the bad of goodies in the white envelope are a nice touch too. If you can afford it, you should get the 5 disc version.... when it is more availble and you can buy it for the £39 it is supposed to be going for. I have notived even on Amazon it is going for £100 or so due to limited supply from EMI. They need to sort their act out and handle their artists properly.

I would still hold out for the box set/5 disc version.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

Keith Jordan wrote:
oz1701 wrote:did you notice any artifacts on the dvd ?
What sort of artefacts?
well any of the following - Aliasing | Analogue Tape Tracking Errors | Chroma Noise | Colour Bleeding | Comet Trails | Cross Colouration | Digital Tape Dropouts | Dot Crawl | Edge Enhancement | Film Artefacts | Gibb Effect | Interlacing | Low Level Noise | Macro-Blocking | Microphony | Moire Effects | Noise Reduction | Overmodulation | Posterization | Reel Change Markings | Splice Marks | Telecine Wobble - an explanation of which can be found at http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/V ... facts.html

i'll bet you are glad you asked :lol:
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

What is with the prices?

I paid $69.99 + 5% tax in Canadian funds (I think we are at about $0.85 to the US Dollar) and still there are plenty of 5-disc sets available in the stores.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

So........ ANYONE CARE TO OFFER A REVIEW OF LIVE IN GDANSK FROM THEIR VIEWING EXPERIENCE?
omnicron
Knife
Knife
Location: Chasing after falling stars and forever "On the Run"

Post by omnicron »

Video quality is far better then RTN, while I was very pleased with RTN, I am far happier with the A/V quality of Gdansk.
Trudy Grapevine
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Trudy Grapevine »

Keith Jordan wrote:So........ ANYONE CARE TO OFFER A REVIEW OF LIVE IN GDANSK FROM THEIR VIEWING EXPERIENCE?

I'm not a very wordy person but I will try a short one sometime (matron!)

I guess 'oooh it was fab' dosen't really constitute a review :lol:
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

yes i was somewhat disappointed with RTN video wise - the live performances are better than those on the album for some reason.