Who are we to Judge?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Pie_in_the_Sky
Embryo
Embryo

Who are we to Judge?

Post by Pie_in_the_Sky »

Just reading some past & present input to this forum, I come to realize that a conciderable lot of posts are all about judging. Judging bandmembers, comparing them to eachother, putting labels on them based on interviews, rumours, gossip and an occasional fact. Who are we to judge a person? The whole Roger vs. David thing for instance.. It just carries on and on and on.. leading nowhere. People read a post on this forum, or that website and 'Bang!' suddenly they have a very strong opinion about matters... Its just sad...

"I hate this song/album; anyone else feel the same?" now that is just pathetic. Music is a very personal experience, has to do with associations you make yourself: thats why a song or concept appeals to you or not. In this light its pretty pointless to say whether a song is 'good' or 'bad'. Think people! Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. Thank God we are all individuals! Don't judge others if you value your personal freedom...

Cheers,

Eric
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Well said Eric,i agree,it is getting sad that most of the talk around here is about just that.I personaly don't care about any members of the Floyd's personal life,it's there life,same as they won't care about my life,it's my life.I just like the music,we should all be happy and glad that any members of the greatest band of all time are still bothered to make music,they don't have to.both Lennon and McCartney have been a lot more outspoken and oppinionated over the years,but no-one runs them down,so,we should not do the same to Roger,Syd,David,Nick,Rick.Just enjoy the music.
mongoose550
Embryo
Embryo

Post by mongoose550 »

i prefer lennon personally...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

There are new rules though so I hope the forum will be more plesant for everybody. :)
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

i can judge whoever the hell i want. they make music for me to listen to, and i can bash it or praise it, but i do agree with you about the Dave v. Roger arguements, but those have halted thanks to keith
NiceJangly
Axe
Axe

Post by NiceJangly »

I couldn't agree more.

Do I win some cd's now?
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: wow maybe he's the antichrist. So when I win can I have something different cause I...um... already got total eclipse
Pie_in_the_Sky
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pie_in_the_Sky »

Now where did I say that people can't have opinions anymore? I can't seem to find those lines...

Some of you obviously react very strongly to my topic/post... All I can say is : "If the shoe fits..."

Oh: and if you've got that line 'Remember when you were young' in your head, don't use that as an excuse for childish behaviour... Grow up!
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

You say the Roger versus Dave thing is stupid. Not really... it's opinions and people have opinions as to whom contributed more to Floyd and whose solo music is better.. Opinions

Don't be so sensitive people. This is why there are discussion forums, to discuss. To argue, to agree, to laugh, to get pissed... and so on
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

NewEarthMud wrote:You say the Roger versus Dave thing is stupid. Not really... it's opinions and people have opinions as to whom contributed more to Floyd and whose solo music is better.. Opinions

Don't be so sensitive people. This is why there are discussion forums, to discuss. To argue, to agree, to laugh, to get pissed... and so on
yea, but they lead to alot of uncalled arrogance, whether it be arrogance towards Roger or Dave, thats why its dumb
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I hate to see albums kicked just because Roger wasn't involved,people say that isn't why they do it.They kick Pink Floyd for being Pink Floyd without Roger.Roger was great but he wasn't Pink Floyd alone.I do have to say though AMLOR was titled right,but they are a few good songs on it.People do have the right to an opinion but they need to base it on solid grounds not just on the fact the like one band member over the other or because they say P-F ended when Roger left because it didn't whether we choose to admit it or not.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

If you ask these people who think "Pink Floyd didn't die when Roger left," if The Doors died when Jim Morrison left (died), the vast majority of them will reply YES. If you ask them if Queen died when Freddie Mercury left (died), the majority of them will answer YES. If you ask them if The Beatles died when Paul McCartney left, most of them will say YES. On and on it goes.

You berate people for having the opinion Post-Waters Pink Floyd is a sham, but you yourself think many bands would be shams if they "re-formed" without their primary creative force.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Pink Floyd are a different band since Roger Waters left in therms of their performances and new material they put out. I dont think many people will dispute that.

If people like the Gilmour led Floyd, that is fine. They are still Pink Floyd just missing one member. I would prefer A Floyd with Waters but that is just my opinion. Let's not deny people their opinions.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

You miss the point,it still is Pink Floyd but without Roger.You would feel the same way if people said Pink Floyd died when Syd was tossed.The point is it is still P-F without Roger.Roger did some great things when he was with P-F and I would still like to see him with them.You also have to admit Roger's solo work is crap next to what he and the rest of P-F did.If he was the god some people make him out to be he would have set the world on fire in his solo work.That is the point.Roger on his best day eating Wheaties will never be able to hold what he and the rest of Pink Floyd a light to piss by.Which only proves that the rest of Pink Floyd contributed more than you would ever be willing to admit.He was great as part of Pink Floyd,but by himself he isn't half as good or maybe even less.Saying all this I never said Pink Floyd (as it is now )is as good as when Roger was with them.It is plain to see they are not,but to kick them just because you hold Roger to be a god ( which you undoubtly do ) and without him they can't go on is wrong to.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

If you want to look at this factually Pink Floyd is ultimately JUST a petty trademark, so yes the current "edition" of "Pink Floyd" is indeed "Pink Floyd" (Pink Floyd (1987) Ltd., which is quite the joke right there). I think the last two "Pink Floyd" studio albums are NOT Pink Floyd, despite the claim they are, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure some of you feel the same way about many bands (Examples: The latest "edition" of Guns N' Roses and the latest "edition" of Lynyrd Skynyrd).

As for Roger's solo albums not being good, I like all of them. I think ATD, in particular, is quite strong and stands up well against Animals and The Final Cut, two of my favorite Pink Floyd albums. This is all a matter of opinion.

BTW, please cut out the "You think Roger Waters is God"-talk. That's utter crap and I certainly do not appreciate it.

Hopefully this is not considered a "Gilmour/Waters" debate.