A Technicolor Dream DVD - Review

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

A Technicolor Dream DVD - Review

Post by Keith Jordan »

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/index ... dvd-review

The latest DVD release that all Floyd fans should get hold of is Eagle Entertainment’s A Technicolor Dream DVD! It tells the fascinating story of the emergence of the Underground scene and features brand new original interviews with a chirpy Roger Waters, Nick Mason and other people who played a significant role in the development of the whole underground movement.

The DVD runs for over two hours and uses a vast array of excellent and rare video footage to tell a comprehensive story of how the underground scene developed, how the Pink Floyd came to be the house band of the underground – even if Roger apparently didn’t even know what the underground was – and how the energy of the underground went on to push Pink Floyd onto the EMI label with their debut album Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

The story would not be complete of course without an analysis of Syd Barrett’s mental struggles and him “moving away” from the commercial side of music which he apparently did not enjoy. Of course, Syd famously objected to playing on Top of the Pops because he felt it too commercial and one of his heroes John Lennon didn’t have to play it!

The DVD has an excellent narrative and uses many rare video pieces to tell the story. This is fused together with modern day interviews with the likes of Roger Waters, Nick Mason, John “Hoppy” Hopkins who founded the IT magazine, Joe Boyd, Peter Jenner and more. Unfortunately, the Technicolor Dream performance by Pink Floyd on one beautiful 1967 summer early morning is not captured in any significant way but that does not take away from the fact that the DVD is an excellent and well put together documentary.

The bonus content on the DVD features three of Pink Floyd’s first music videos from the 1960s, as well as several interviews with the likes of Roger Waters (18 minutes), Nick Mason (8 minutes), Peter Jenner (15 minutes), Joe Boyd (13 minutes) and Miles for just 3 minutes. The complete Floyd music videos are of Scarecrow (Pathe Newsreel from July 1967), Arnold Layne promo (Peter Whitehead, March 1967) and Astronomy Domine from Look of the Week from May 16th 1967.

Unfortunately the hilarious “Hans Keller Interview” with Syd Barrett and Roger Waters was not included in its entirety which is a shame. But the other bonus material makes up for it – especially Roger Waters rather amusing and animated interview!

In addition to the bonus content on the DVD, a reproduction of Mike McInnerney’s famous poster for the Technicolor Dream all night happening has been reproduced. It is only the size of the DVD case itself so it a little on the small side. But it is a nice addition nonetheless.

The DVD sheds light on how these sorts of posters could come about as art students of the time were paid to go to university which afforded them the time to pursue other interests such as being a musician, making films or perhaps putting artistic skills to work by creating the clothes, imagery, art, light shows and other such creative efforts of the underground scene.

It is a truly excellent DVD! One for the Christmas whish list!

Order Now from Amazon

A Technicolor Dream - Amazon.co.uk

A Technicolor Dream - Amazon.com
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: A Technicolor Dream DVD - Review

Post by Hogtown »

I can't wait to buy it. Keith, you are doing an awesome job with the site these days!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Thanks! I have had the time to progress things with the site significantly! I am quite proud of it. Hope people are enjoying it!!

With regards to the review, I would be happy to hear other people's opinions on this great DVD. Its a really good one!! As I mentioned, it would make a great Christmas present so get it on your list! 8)
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Hogtown wrote:I can't wait to buy it. Keith, you are doing an awesome job with the site these days!
Do we take that to mean you think he was doing a crap job before? ;)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Well, there was a post from Keith back in July where he decided he'd had enough of maintaining NPF and would just leave it as a forum. Maybe once he's back in action again, he might start thinking the same thing but in the meantime it's nice to see some personal input into the main site. I like the reviews he's done of late. :)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The main site is much easier to maintain now that it uses a content management system!

As for the reviews, I have enjoyed doing them. I shall review lots more things in the coming year as I build the discography section up!!

I enjoyed watching the Technicolor Dream DVD although I did fall asleep the first time as I had a very late night the night before!! :lol: The second time was ace!! 8)
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Just bought this...along with the 2009 Floyd calendar and Drake's book.
Feck I'm trigger happy with my Master Card today. Damn links. :o :lol:
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Yeah, I'm afraid Keith's Amazon link was too much to resist :oops: Hopefully the pigeon who delivers it to my island won't wait too long
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

Keith Jordan wrote:Thanks! I have had the time to progress things with the site significantly! I am quite proud of it. Hope people are enjoying it!!

With regards to the review, I would be happy to hear other people's opinions on this great DVD. Its a really good one!! As I mentioned, it would make a great Christmas present so get it on your list! 8)
You have been very up to date with alot of the news recently for that i give you a pat on the back oh wait people these days would count it as sexual assault or something maybe just a kudos

and to be on topic just another thing im now going to have to buy
ovilbianca
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ovilbianca »

Ehm.. apart from the new interviews, is there any footage that isn't the same as 'london 66/67' ? most of the stills are from that footage i think.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

Keith Jordan wrote:http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/index ... dvd-review

The latest DVD release that all Floyd fans should get hold of is Eagle Entertainment’s A Technicolor Dream DVD! It tells the fascinating story of the emergence of the Underground scene and features brand new original interviews with a chirpy Roger Waters, Nick Mason and other people who played a significant role in the development of the whole underground movement.

The DVD runs for over two hours and uses a vast array of excellent and rare video footage to tell a comprehensive story of how the underground scene developed, how the Pink Floyd came to be the house band of the underground – even if Roger apparently didn’t even know what the underground was – and how the energy of the underground went on to push Pink Floyd onto the EMI label with their debut album Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

The story would not be complete of course without an analysis of Syd Barrett’s mental struggles and him “moving away” from the commercial side of music which he apparently did not enjoy. Of course, Syd famously objected to playing on Top of the Pops because he felt it too commercial and one of his heroes John Lennon didn’t have to play it!

The DVD has an excellent narrative and uses many rare video pieces to tell the story. This is fused together with modern day interviews with the likes of Roger Waters, Nick Mason, John “Hoppy” Hopkins who founded the IT magazine, Joe Boyd, Peter Jenner and more. Unfortunately, the Technicolor Dream performance by Pink Floyd on one beautiful 1967 summer early morning is not captured in any significant way but that does not take away from the fact that the DVD is an excellent and well put together documentary.

The bonus content on the DVD features three of Pink Floyd’s first music videos from the 1960s, as well as several interviews with the likes of Roger Waters (18 minutes), Nick Mason (8 minutes), Peter Jenner (15 minutes), Joe Boyd (13 minutes) and Miles for just 3 minutes. The complete Floyd music videos are of Scarecrow (Pathe Newsreel from July 1967), Arnold Layne promo (Peter Whitehead, March 1967) and Astronomy Domine from Look of the Week from May 16th 1967.

Unfortunately the hilarious “Hans Keller Interview” with Syd Barrett and Roger Waters was not included in its entirety which is a shame. But the other bonus material makes up for it – especially Roger Waters rather amusing and animated interview!

In addition to the bonus content on the DVD, a reproduction of Mike McInnerney’s famous poster for the Technicolor Dream all night happening has been reproduced. It is only the size of the DVD case itself so it a little on the small side. But it is a nice addition nonetheless.

The DVD sheds light on how these sorts of posters could come about as art students of the time were paid to go to university which afforded them the time to pursue other interests such as being a musician, making films or perhaps putting artistic skills to work by creating the clothes, imagery, art, light shows and other such creative efforts of the underground scene.

It is a truly excellent DVD! One for the Christmas whish list!

Order Now from Amazon

A Technicolor Dream - Amazon.co.uk

A Technicolor Dream - Amazon.com
Spelling etc. for your review page...add an "is" and spell whish, "wish".

I ordered this yesterday!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Hogtown wrote:Spelling etc. for your review page...add an "is" and spell whish, "wish".

I ordered this yesterday!
Oops!! I shall correct those. I wrote the review in about 10 mins about 1am!! Thats the excuse I am going with anyway!!
Andy_672
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Andy_672 »

Are the interview unique to this publication or can the found on other sources ?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

No. It has original interview material. And is very good I might add! Get a copy of the DVD and see. T'is very good! 8)
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Just got this today.

And I must say it is a very good document of the time and that whole underground movement.
It is mainly produced for the Floyd fans, but, it really gives you the perspective and the context of the period with
loads of interesting people who witnessed it all. And not just in terms of music, but theres also alot of talk about poetry, the famous Albert hall
readings, drugs, art in general and what kind of mark did that movement leave and how important it really was... for Rog it wasnt really lol..and I slightly agree. Lot of interesting guests in the interviews. I have learned many interesting details about that time. Some of the well known facts about Syd going crazy are also included but presented from not only Rog or Nick, but from the other people who use to know him at that time, so it kind of gives a whole new dimension to that story and doesent sound like same old Syd story we used to hear in all other documentaries.
Those additional interviews with Roger and Nick, particulary Roger, are really great and entertaining and also full of bits that I didnt know about how all this Floyd story came about at that time.
Rabid Astral Pipers and Waters fans should def. buy this dvd. :lol:

Anyway, well worth every penny. Great addition to my collection.