YOUR REVIEWS of Live in Gdansk - Post them here!

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: YOUR REVIEWS of Live in Gdansk - Post them here!

Post by oz1701 »

well i have the four disc set and have looked at about 15 minutes of the vision. it is not as visually stunning or as dramatic as within temptation's black symphony DVD - also performed with live orchestra and choir.

it is an improvement visually over RTN however the acid test would be to watch it on my sister's big screen home theatre system. both dvds of course and compare them .

certainly the musicians all seem to be in fine form. i am a little disappointed the concert was not presented in its entirety always assuming the cd's represent the entire set list. i think this is a first for me that the cds that came with the dvd represent a more complete version of the concert than the dvd.

all the same i am mightily pleased i made the purchase and look forward to viewing it all when i have a little more time to enjoy it properly.

a very polished performance - which is kind of appropriate considering the location :lol:
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

5-disc review off the cuff.

This is the first EVER live release of a solo Gilmour show on CD! It sounds better than DSoT AND PULSE!
It also contains the only official live recording of Echoes (pretty much why I bought it).
You do get Wots...uh...the Deal by downloading it, which is a bit silly.
My preference is for the Floyd tunes of course.

The dvd is of a higher quality than RTN in terms of picture quality AND editing.
The screens above the stage staticly fixed on each musician actually works in my mind for the very reason Brickman notes.

The extras are simply nice to have, as well as the nic-nacs in the white envelope, which unlike Keith, I simply ripped open...after two days of contemplation. :lol:

All around not a bad little box. It takes a fair amount of time to explore 5 discs.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Hopefully by the time I have the money there will still be 5 disc sets left ....
Trudy Grapevine
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Trudy Grapevine »

Right I've manged to watch/listen to most of this now (5 disc version) and I can only give it the highest praise. The whole thing is beautifully presented and the white evelope of 'extras' was a nice surprise.

As I think has been mentioned beofre it is not the whole concert but what there is is really enjoyable to watch and listen too. The orchestra sets it off perfectly and gives a slightly different dimension to the music. Highlights for me were High Hopes and A great day for freedom, though Echoes was rather good too and it is one of the best versions of On an Island I have heard. I liked the Gdansk Diary and the Barn Jams.

The only gripe is that I can't find the extras, it's bloody annoying, other than that I'm pleased with my purchase, very pleased.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Right, given that you lot like it so much* I will buy right now - never mind that I can't afford it ...

* Wow: I trust your collective judgement! How did that happen then?
Trudy Grapevine
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Trudy Grapevine »

Aha! I've found the Barn Jam hidden extra :D I found it rather pogniant in a way with Rick & David talking about their musical telepathy.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

Boy, the reviews are just pouring in. I'm sure other Gilmour releases have generated more reviews.
mandy35353535353
Knife
Knife

Post by mandy35353535353 »

The entire cost of the CD is worth it just to hear darling little Rick saying "Is there anybody in there".
He sounds so much like a turtle it's just fantastic.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I like it but I suppose after ripping the audio off RTN and listening to that on my mp3 player for months, I'm getting a serious dose of deja vu. I'm happy with the set...love the goodies in the envelope, the extras on the DVD and the revisiting of the Pink Floyd stuff. I'll never love On An Island I don't think. It's got its moments but it's not as satisfying as Pink Floyd. One thing David could've left off though is that impromptu version of On The Turning Away. It still sounds as rough as as bear's backside and not in a good way
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I listened to most of the cd but haven't watched the dvd yet (I have the 3 disc version) which isn't unusual as I never sem to watch any of their dvds - most are still in their film wrap. The Pink Floyd songs sounded a lot like - well pink Floyd - Pulse era and the Other Floyd Guitarist stuff sounded just like the Other Floyd Guitarist.

Its nice of him to offer extras - it would have been even better if they had been included so you get the complete show from the start not a Frankenstein version.

The bonus here though is I can listen to most of the OAI stuf without falling asleep
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

drafsack wrote:I listened to most of the cd but haven't watched the dvd yet (I have the 3 disc version) which isn't unusual as I never sem to watch any of their dvds - most are still in their film wrap. The Pink Floyd songs sounded a lot like - well pink Floyd - Pulse era and the Other Floyd Guitarist stuff sounded just like the Other Floyd Guitarist.

Its nice of him to offer extras - it would have been even better if they had been included so you get the complete show from the start not a Frankenstein version.

The bonus here though is I can listen to most of the OAI stuf without falling asleep
and then you fall asleep :lol:
ulano
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ulano »

i'm disappointed ther's no Fat old sun and WYWH and SOYCD on dvd disc, I was happy to see this performance live, so it's hard to say something bad about dvd/cd :D ,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

ulano what did you think of the screens when you were at the concert?
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

mandy35353535353 wrote:The entire cost of the CD is worth it just to hear darling little Rick saying "Is there anybody in there".
He sounds so much like a turtle it's just fantastic.
Curiously enough I have never heard a turtle saying "is there anybody in there?" so struggle to imagine waht it would sound like.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I never thought I'd hear a turtle saying 'Cowabunga' but I was proved wrong