Worst Solo Album

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.

Which one is the worst solo album

Roger waters: Music from the body
20%
Roger Waters: The pros and cons of Hitch hiking
7%
Roger Waters: Radio KAOS
9%
Roger Waters: Amused to death
6%
David Gilmour: David Gilmour
1%
David Gilmour: About Face
7%
David Gilmour: On an Island
4%
Richard Wright: Wet Dream
3%
Richard Wright: Broken China
3%
Richard Wright (Zee): Identity
23%
Nick Mason: Fictitious Sports
11%
Nick Mason (mason and Fenn) Profiles
6%

Total votes: 70

white summer

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by white summer »

Damn!t wrote:
white summer wrote:apart from Radio KAOS
Bahahahaha. :smt043
supping ale in the moonlight , etc reminds me of that stay lyric
although obviously not as profound
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

white summer wrote:
Damn!t wrote: Bahahahaha. :smt043
supping ale in the moonlight , etc reminds me of that stay lyric
although obviously not as profound
So you dont like OBC but you lik Radio Kaos because it sounds like stay? :lol:
white summer

Post by white summer »

[So you dont like OBC but you lik Radio Kaos because it sounds like stay? :lol:[/quote]

oh dear! youth is so wasted on the young
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Yea Duckboy. :|
You FOOL! :lol:
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

Damn!t wrote:Yea Duckboy. :|
You FOOL! :lol:
i dont even know what you are talking about :lol: do you know what shes on about?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

No "she" doesn't. Shite Wummer is NPF's resident wag.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Duckboy wrote:do you know what it's on about?
Havent the slightest idea ...as usual.

I think administrators should consider the ban button option.
There hasnt been such an arsehole in here for a long time.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

Damn!t wrote:
Duckboy wrote:do you know what it's on about?
Havent the slightest idea ...as usual.

I think administrators should consider the ban button option.
There hasnt been such an arsehole in here for a long time.
yeah id have to agree
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I hope you aren't taking that wench seriously.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

From the list, the one I play least is "Music From The Body", but I still like it better than "Ca Ira", which I have only ever listened to once and will possibly never revisit.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

My three favourite solo albums are:

Wet Dream
Amused to Death
On an Island

Solo albums I like least (EDIT: I previously said dislike, which is too strong a word, I don't dislike them):
Broken China
Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking.
About Face

I don't count Nick's solo albums as solo albums. I haven't heard Ca Ira. From what I've heard about it, I'm not interested. Edit: I've just found that Ca Ira is on we7: http://www.we7.com/#/album/Roger-Waters ... ch-Version Listening to bits of it, it's much more interesting than I thought, and brings a pop sensibility to Opera. It's not the kind of thing I would listen to much, but it's better than I expected, and not bad. Certainly not the worst solo album.

Personally I think they've all done good, and done bad, in their solo careers.
Last edited by Annoying Twit on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Syd and Roger aside, I still haven't heard any Gilmour or Wright solo albums. I've "seen" them on You Tube and there wasn't anything that made me think I should go out and get them.
But I love Music From The Body.
danielcaux wrote:I really really really don't understand why so many of you dislike "Music From The Body" so much. Sure, Body Transport is an awfully boring piece of concrete sounds, but it's only one song and is only 3 minutes long. But the rest is ace; Our Song is a masterpiece of concrete music made out of "bio-sounds" edited with great creativity to achieve engaging rhitmic patterns just like Several Species... on Ummagumma; and have you ever pay attention to Old Folks Ascension? is a truly beautiful and moving piece of music! So it is the delicate Bedtime Dream Clime which always reminds me of And Yo and I by Yes. Mrs. Throat Goes Walking is so fun is Gong worthy. More Than Seven Dwarfs In Penis-Land sound like a more "street" Ligeti and could perfectly fit in the 2001: Space Odissey or Shining soundtracks. How can you not love A Gentle Breeze, part of the first chunk of instrumentals that goes from Red Stuff Writhe to Bridge Passage, with that "flamenco-western-guitar-meets-the-bugs-eating-your-brain" sound? and how it all crash into the profound and nostalgic Chain of Life... this album set the whole foundation for DSoTM "flow" between tracks.

An unsolicited advise I would give to those who haven't been able "get it" yet is that it's definitively not music to listen to while you work on your PC, drive your car or do whatever activitity you usually do while listening music; it requires not your full attention but a "clean" mind free of thoughts; just take your headphones, turn the lights out, lay in bed close your eyes, and then it would take you to places you didn't know were there.

Listen to the whole thing, just don't pre-program your mind to expect to find pop songs there.
And that post says it better than I ever could! (Still haven't voted in this poll)
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

So I'm in the minority when I say that I liked Music from The Body? :? Can't say about Identity, though.

I voted for About Face. That would be the last album I'd want to show anyone who's interested in Gilmour's solo work. It's an inaccurate display of what he's capable of as a musician and songwriter.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

snifferdog wrote:No "she" doesn't. Shite Wummer is NPF's resident wag.
... er, Wife And Girlfriend? Whose?
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Profiles, its 45 minutes of "here's where someone would insert some music if only there were some creative people in this collaboration"
even the bit where Dave finally drops by to sing is dull and shapeless and sounds exactly like the rest of the album except for suddenly theres a voice added

all the others people are mentioning have redeeming qualities and some are very good experimental sideprojects, they just may not be exploring a style that is to particular peoples tastes
ie theres several catchy toons towards the centre of Zee: Identity
Fictitious Sports is a good Carla Bley avantjazzpop album with Robert Wyatt in vocals and the drummer from Pink Floyd
and Music from the Body is an awesome experimental soundcollage from Roger and Geesin
Ca Ira too is admirable in its intent even if I havent remembered to listen to it in five years
look for the Polish tv broadacast online, if you can find it, the full dress production may make it more interesting: Roger evens cameos as the Pope