DOWNLOAD - Guy Pratt Video Interview on Aussie TV

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DOWNLOAD - Guy Pratt Video Interview on Aussie TV

Post by snifferdog »

So what? I don't think most people give a rat's ass who played what on Pink Floyd records. Gilmour has played bass on Pink Floyd records...One of these Days, the remake of Money. I think Sheep as well. Maybe he did on other songs. I don't know and I don't care. I worry more about what the song sounds like, not who played what.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

snifferdog wrote:So what? I don't think most people give a rat's ass who played what on Pink Floyd records.
Maybe it's just me, but I think it's important to keep an accurate history of the band. After all, they are one of the all-time best.
Gilmour has played bass on Pink Floyd records...One of these Days, the remake of Money. I think Sheep as well.
Do you care to share your source?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

From sleeve notes. I was wrong about Sheep when I went to check. It was Pigs (3 Different Ones) that he played bass on. But I'm right about One of these Days which has double tracked basses on it. David plays the first bass that you hear. The second one (the one with the dull strings) is Roger. On the remake of Money, the one for that Great Collection of Dance Songs, he plays everything bar the saxophone. He also plays fretless bass on Hey You and ordinary bass on High Hopes.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

snifferdog wrote:From sleeve notes. I was wrong about Sheep when I went to check. It was Pigs (3 Different Ones) that he played bass on.
Yeah, Waters did the rhythm guitar and tape effects on that one.
But I'm right about One of these Days which has double tracked basses on it. David plays the first bass that you hear.
Where did you hear that David plays the first one? It was my understanding that David actually played the second one, which sounds more dull due to the age of the guitar or something along those lines.
On the remake of Money, the one for that Great Collection of Dance Songs, he plays everything bar the saxophone.
Which begs the question of why did he bother? The whole collection is worthless and the original "Money" is far superior.
He also plays fretless bass on Hey You and ordinary bass on High Hopes.
While I do not really care for "High Hopes," he did an especially beautiful job on "Hey You"
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Funny...but if Gilmour played bass on EVERY studio track that floyd ever recorded it still would not change my opinion of anyone or anything in the Pink Floyd story. It's just notes.

"What's best in music is not to be found in the notes...." Gustav Mahler
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Roger played most of the bass. That was his instrument and that is what happened! So accept that! ;-)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I was listening to an old radio interview with DG very recently where he said it. Anyway, does it really matter? ](*,)

Also... Guitar World asked Gilmour about playing bass on "One Of These Days." Gilmour replied: "The opening section is me and Roger. On 'One of these Days,' for some reason, we decided to do a double track of the bass. You can actually hear it if you listen in stereo. The first bass is me. A bar later, Roger joins in on the other side of the stereo picture. We didn't have a spare set of strings for the spare bass guitar, so the second bass is very dull sounding. [laughs] We sent a roadie out to buy some strings, but he wandered off to see his girlfriend instead."

As for the remake of Money, it was something to do with their old record company refusing to licence it to the company that was releasing A Collection of Great Dance Songs. Dick Parry played the sax on the new version.
Last edited by snifferdog on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

snifferdog wrote:I was listening to an old radio interview with DG very recently where he said it.
Unfortunately, David Gilmour has no credibility when it comes to the history of Pink Floyd. This is the guy who forced Nick Mason to edit certain sections of Nick's own memoirs of the band.
Anyway, does it really matter?
Obviously nothing really matters on here.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Unfortunately, David Gilmour has no credibility when it comes to the history of Pink Floyd. This is the guy who forced Nick Mason to edit certain sections of Nick's own memoirs of the band.
Rogers red marker also worked on Nicks draft for the book.
That doesent mean that either him or Dave have no credibility when it comes to the history of the Floyd. I mean, who has that then if not someone from the band???
We cannot possibly know what Nick wrote in these early notes... and we cannot possibly know if that was worth cutting out or not.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

What do you think of the Guy Pratt interview then?
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

it was highly entertaining - he is a bit of a card :D
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Damn!t wrote: Rogers red marker also worked on Nicks draft for the book.
First time I've heard that...
Last edited by Real Pink in the Inside on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

If you read the postscript of Nick's book, he refers to Roger and David making corrections to the book. He says they must be using the same stationer as they both used green highlighters. Roger scribbled all over one page and wrote Bollocks on it. Rick faxed in his comments from his yacht.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

snifferdog wrote:If you read the postscript of Nick's book, he refers to Roger and David making corrections to the book. He says they must be using the same stationer as they both used green highlighters. Roger scribbled all over one page and wrote Bollocks on it. Rick faxed in his comments from his yacht.
I clearly remember reading somewhere five or six years ago that the book was delayed numerous times over the years due to Gilmour's, not Waters', protesting/editing. With regards to the postscript of Nick's book, I'll have to check that out again. I am sure each member had certain sections that were not quite in tune with their own recollections, but it is my understanding that Gilmour's heavy-handedness was the sole reason for the numerous delays of the project...
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote: it is my understanding that Gilmour's heavy-handedness was the sole reason for the numerous delays of the project...
The sole reason? What about Nick Mason?
I think it was Nicks' willingness to allow Gilmour to do that. Nick allowed them to edit his book. Probably out of respect for his life long business partners. What's Gilmour going to do sue him? That would screw up his precious image real good.

I always thought Pink Floyd wanted to be treated like artists NOT celebrities. That's how I've always treated 'em. I don't need to know all the details. I thought it was all about the work. Maybe it's about looking at pictures of their kids and drooling over the juicy details of their personal lives. Maybe I don't get it. Nick should have called his book: Pink Floyd - A soap opera.