Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
24%
30%
19%
19%
1 - Worst
7%

Total votes: 94

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

Post by Keith Jordan »

This thread is to Pink Floyd's Ummagumma and is linked to from the Pink Floyd Discography section.

Feel free to discuss the album!

01. Astronomy Domine
02. Careful With That Axe Eugene
03. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
04. Saucerful Of Secrets
05. Sysyphus
06. Grantchester Meadows
07. Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together...
08. Narrow Way
09. Grand Vizier's Garden Party
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Discography - Pink Floyd - Ummagumma discussion....

Post by moom »

This album is way ahead of it's time, even now. Probably that's why it still does not get the credit it deserves - for one of the very first very experimental albums. Plus, from once a pop-rock band.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I've always loved this double album, possibly my second favourite after Dark Side. I get the feeling with a lot of Floyd studio material, much as I enjoy it, that they were always somewhat restrained or you get that sense of being repressed or holding back (of course repression is very much what Floyds music is about anyway). For me this is the one album where I feel that they produced music that was more in the style of Krautrock in that they just let themselves go for once. Well that's the impression I get from it anyway. I also love the cover art.
thehumanzoo
Blade
Blade

Post by thehumanzoo »

This is a great live album: the only dissapointment that it is not totally comprehensive!

As far as the studio part goes, there are parts of Sysyphus that are nice, if from the middle to just before the end drag quite severly. Roger's parts are experimental in a good way (unlike pretty much the rest of the world, I unbelievably find some interest in Several Species... and am often surprised that it is regarded as being so bad). The Narrow Way suite is not too bad, although I have never really enjoyed part II. However, the Grand Vizier's Garden Party is pretty dire and contains the most dull drum solo effects I have ever heard. It may have sounded good in 1969, but it did not sound good in 2004 when I started to complete my Floyd collection.
Twid
Axe
Axe

Post by Twid »

Great album, brilliant idea The live album is superb, but a few bits and bobs i find dissapointing on the studio sides... which makes me think, was it a good idea after all?
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

The live portion is quite good, but the studio half is definitely a little too avant-garde for my taste. One of their best album covers, though, and perhaps their most "unique" album to date.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I was just reading For The Love of Vinyl: The Album Art of Hipgnosis, particularly the bit about this Ummagumma album cover. Apparently Storm was talking to his then girlfriend about the layers he heard in their music: there were things to discover upon the second, third fourth listen to the album etc. She, Libby, compared with this with "infinite regression line drawings that psychologists use". So that inspired the idea of having the image repeat itself within the album cover to represent that regression, and layers in their music.

Its a great book. You should all have a good look at it some day! 8)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

This one has grown on me over the years. When I first got it, I liked the live disc better but I've found myself going back to the studio disc more. Whilst the second disc isn't perfect, there's some good stuff on there. Roger's Grantchester Meadows is lovely (though it went on to be lovelier live...me loves the KQED version) and David's Narrow Way has some interesting stuff in it. What's unique too about this album is that a band only a couple of years into its record contract was able to go make something experimental like this. It wouldn't happen nowadays.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

I like it! The live versions are really good, and the studio ones are daring and fascinating. Except for Nick's one :lol:
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I think the live half is decent. The rest is trash.

I give it 3 out of 5 for the live half and the album cover.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

The live LP is good, but the studio portion is better: Floyd's second masterpiece.
Harpo
Blade
Blade

Post by Harpo »

The live half is amazing, although the sound is a bit murky. I really love the various live recordings from 1969 - several are better than the stuff on Ummagumma.
As for the studio half, I love it - including Several Species! The Narrow Way is terrific, and Grantchester Meadows is one of my favourite songs ever.

The sleeve artwork is great too, I especially like the back cover photo, and the b&w pic of DG at the Elfin Oak.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Keith Jordan wrote:I was just reading For The Love of Vinyl: The Album Art of Hipgnosis, particularly the bit about this Ummagumma album cover. Apparently Storm was talking to his then girlfriend about the layers he heard in their music: there were things to discover upon the second, third fourth listen to the album etc. She, Libby, compared with this with "infinite regression line drawings that psychologists use". So that inspired the idea of having the image repeat itself within the album cover to represent that regression, and layers in their music.

Its a great book. You should all have a good look at it some day! 8)

Sounds like a good prize for someone :wink:
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

It just seemed so audacious at the time. It helped open my ears to what is "allowed" on a "popular" record. I remember thinking, "what?...you can do this sort of thing on a record? I must hear more!!!" A real ear opener for me. Of course, the cover is beyond cool too.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

danielcaux wrote:The live LP is good, but the studio portion is better .
:D