Pink Floyd - Animals

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
63%
26%
6%
1%
1 - Worst
3%

Total votes: 167

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pink Floyd - Animals

Post by Keith Jordan »

This thread is to discuss Pink Floyd's Animals and is linked to from the Pink Floyd Discography section.

Feel free to discuss the album!

01. Pigs On The Wing
02. Dogs
03. Pigs (Three Different Ones)
04. Sheep
05. Pigs On The Wing 2
mosespa

Re: Discography - Pink Floyd - Animals discussion....

Post by mosespa »

I didn't really listen to Animals until 1992.

There was a time or two prior to that when it was what I put on in it's entirety to finish out a shift at a radio station whilst I collapsed in an underaged beer-induced stupor on the floor of the control room.

But I wasn't actually listening to it at that point. :lol:

By 1992, I realized that it was the only post-DSOTM album that I not only didn't own, but really had no idea what any of it even sounded like.

In a way, I was very glad that I'd prologned the experience. Its not often that people who have been Pink Floyd fans for twelve years get the opportunity to hear something by the band for the first time.

It's one of my all-time favorite PF albums, though. Not a weak moment on it, imo.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

This is my least favourite of all the Floyd albums and the one that resulted in me losing interest in the bands further output until I decided to buy their albums on CD some 20 years later. Such was my lack of interest that I didn't know they had split up or released the albums Final Cut or Momentary Lapse of Reason...and that's all Animals fault! :lol: I've not one good thing to say about this album, it's a pile of shite from start to finish.
Last edited by Stephen on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thehumanzoo
Blade
Blade

Post by thehumanzoo »

This is possibly my favourite Pink Floyd album since it combines music and lyricism with total ease. For me, the balance of the album is perfect - I feel that this demonstrates the band at the peak of their powers. All of the major 3 tracks are amongst the best that the band ever produced - I could not possibly choose a favourite. I always feel it a shame that it is so often overlooked by both fans and the band themselves: it is a shame that after the '77 tour, it was barely played live. Gilmour's Pink Floyd ignored this album and Roger Waters has not promoted it in the same way as Dark Side of the Moon, which I feel is a shame - for me, it is an overlooked masterpiece of pop/rock music.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd - Animals

Post by Yucateco »

3 of my favourite Floyd songs on one disc, can´t ask for more.
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

Their best work.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

It's the first half of my first couple of PF albums. The other one was Dark Side.

As I sat through them, sounds in me headphones, I could not speak or think a word.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Absolute brilliance.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Yup.

Robbo, again, (this goes for oldhippy too)... you are insane.
...I mean, you are, but I'm stating this only for the case of you disliking Animals here. :lol:
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

thehumanzoo wrote:This is possibly my favourite Pink Floyd album since it combines music and lyricism with total ease. For me, the balance of the album is perfect - I feel that this demonstrates the band at the peak of their powers. All of the major 3 tracks are amongst the best that the band ever produced - I could not possibly choose a favourite. I always feel it a shame that it is so often overlooked by both fans and the band themselves: it is a shame that after the '77 tour, it was barely played live. Gilmour's Pink Floyd ignored this album and Roger Waters has not promoted it in the same way as Dark Side of the Moon, which I feel is a shame - for me, it is an overlooked masterpiece of pop/rock music.
This summarises it quite well. I cannot find a single fault on the album. Even when I burnt out on Pink Floyd in general, I could still listen to this one without getting bored.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

PublicImage wrote:I burnt out on Pink Floyd in general.
You did? Why?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

This for me is the most difficult Pink Floyd album to get into. I didn't like it at first but it's grown on me. Like moss :) It was a great album live - I listen to this a lot on ROIO.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

moom wrote: You did? Why?
Because I listened to them too much. It didn't help that I also did two NPF shows in two months, both of which meant hours of non-stop PF. They helped the process, but they were fun anyway.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I cant possibly understand how anyone couldn't love this album! Listen to it nice and loud, on a system with plenty of bass!! My sub-woofer could shatter windows with Dogs and Sheep playing! Even triple glazing!
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

I prefer both DSotM and WYWH to Animals, but I think Animals is full of confidence, accomplished, and represents PF at the top of their game.