Pink Floyd - The Wall

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
54%
23%
14%
3%
1 - Worst
5%

Total votes: 147

wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

Post by wiped »

My favourite album of all time , by anybody.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

danielcaux wrote:
Eclipse wrote:My two favorite bands released two amazing rock-operas as double albums: PF and Genesis
And i listen to them over and over, and never get bored!
Interesting that you mention that, I have always thought The Wall (1979) was heavily influenced by The Lamb (1974), in the artistic aproach of the whole thing: conceptual story-telling double album about a young man and all the sh*t that is happening inside his mind, all heavily theatrically stage it when played live. No wonder the Floyd decided aganist using a Hipgnosis cover just like they had done in all their previous albums.
What about Tommy?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Tommy is not that similar to either two, but of course was an influence on both. What strikes me the most really is the coincidence in placement of both Young Lust and Counting Out Time, the two songs dealing with the same topic and in the same contrasting up beat style, comparing them to the rest of each album.
moom wrote:..and Lamb's cover was designed by Hipgnosis :?
That was exactly my point. :D
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

danielcaux wrote:
moom wrote:..and Lamb's cover was designed by Hipgnosis :?
That was exactly my point. :D
I'm sorry, but what is it then :) ?
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I would say that the Who's "Quadrophenia" is far more similar to "The Wall" than any other concept album.
crowman
Blade
Blade

Post by crowman »

Brilliant and completely mad, however it's rare that I sit and listen to it from start to finish the way I can with Dark Side. The Trial and Outside The Wall are perfect conclusions to the story, but musically I start to lose interest by Waiting For The Worms.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I start to lose interest by "Another Brick In The Wall Part 2" and "Mother" then it recapture my interest with "Good Bye Blue Sky" but then again I lose it with "Young Lust"/"One of My Turns"/Don't Leave Me Now"/"Another Brick In The Wall Part 3". It comes back again with "Hey You" and it goes again with "Confortably Numb" and it comes back again with "Waiting For The Worms". :smt102
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

I absolutely love The Trial. Amazing vocal interpretation, and it feels so Genesis!
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Eclipse wrote: and it feels so Genesis!
Gee, thanks for that. Now I'll never listen to it again.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

The Wall is just not one of my favourite albums. I used to listen to it a lot in high school when i felt depressed. That and Quadrophenia. Perhaps not the best albums to listen to when one feels depressed. Though I admit, I have not listened to it in years and years, other than the odd song off it. Maybe I should give it another go sometime. But you know, even some of the songs that are PF classics don't really do much for me, like Comfortably Numb. The moments that stood out for me on The Wall were some of the parts that got less radio attention, like Vera, Nobody Home, and One of My Turns.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

I think Quadrophenia is actually good for depression. Not because it's an uplifting album; not by any means. It's just that the anger you feel through that music is something that I can easily identify with if I'm depressed. "Love Reign O'er Me" is a great way to end an album.

The Wall just makes me more depressed if I'm depressed.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

danielcaux wrote:I start to lose interest by "Another Brick In The Wall Part 2" and "Mother" then it recapture my interest with "Good Bye Blue Sky" but then again I lose it with "Young Lust"/"One of My Turns"/Don't Leave Me Now"/"Another Brick In The Wall Part 3". It comes back again with "Hey You" and it goes again with "Confortably Numb" and it comes back again with "Waiting For The Worms". :smt102
You should listen to it on vinyl and set the record player on 78 speed. You won't even notice Goodbye Cruel World.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Very good album though i haven't listened to it in its entirety for a while. Especially love the closing sections with The Trial being the album's high point. Excellent lyrics, brilliant range of songs and a wonderful scope. Few songs i don't like on it (ABITW2, DLMN, BTBBH) although each one of them adds a lot to the story so i guess i can't complain too much. Especially as these weak points are cancelled out by Hey You, Comfortably Numb, Nobody Home and One of my Turns which are among the band's finest works
Faint
Blade
Blade

Post by Faint »

moom wrote:
Yucateco wrote:Masterpiece
!
!! [-D-]
DontLeaveMeNow
Axe
Axe

Post by DontLeaveMeNow »

This is my favourite Floyd album..
The atmosphere it creates is just amazing, Side 2 and 3 of the original Vinyl are pure class..Mainly side 2 as it is very sad and dissotant..Is "Don't Leave Me Now" one of the most under-rated Floyd songs? It's one of my favourites along with the obvious ones like Comfortably Numb, Hey You.