Richard Wright - Broken China

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
31%
19%
29%
13%
1 - Worst
9%

Total votes: 70

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Richard Wright - Broken China

Post by Keith Jordan »

This thread is to discuss Richard Wright's Broken China and is linked to from the Pink Floyd Discography section.

Feel free to discuss the album!

01. Breaking Water – 2:28
02. Night of a Thousand Furry Toys – 4:22
03. Hidden Fear – 3:28
04. Runaway – 4:00
05. Unfair Ground – 2:21
06. Satellite – 4:06
07. Woman of Custom – 3:44
08. Interlude – 1:16
09. Black Cloud – 3:19
10. Far from the Harbour Wall – 6:19
11. Drowning – 1:38
12. Reaching for the Rail – 6:30
13. Blue Room in Venice – 2:47
14. Sweet July – 4:13
15. Along the Shoreline – 4:36
16. Breakthrough – 4:19
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Richard Wright - Broken China

Post by Annoying Twit »

I think this album was produced well, but needed more development of the songs. E.g., I think the live version of Breakthrough with Rick singing is a big improvement on the album version.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Underwhelming, but I have not listened to it lately.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

It's a bit undercooked or something. It's a pity he didn't wait a while til he'd written some more proper songs before he made this. Breakthrough as performed with Gilmour is a nice song but it doesn't work so well here.

Having said that, kudos to him for making an album that was different to Pink Floyd. Night of a thousand furry toys could have been interesting if there had been a stronger melody and better vocals on it.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Way too much filler on this one, the instrumentals are horrible.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Only 3.

I really like most of the songs with vocals on the album, but the instrumentals ruin it for me. They're all too messy and not really going anywhere. I could say the same for "Hidden Fear" and "Blue Room In Venice", but at least the way Rick sings them sends a bit of chill through my spine.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

My favorite solo album. Very atmospheric and emotional, i can never get tired of it.
This and Roger'a ATD are the pinnacle of the PF's solo careers, and are IMO as good as DSOTM, Animals (but not as great as WYWH, since nothing can be).
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Has a lot of potential in places, but very little of it is particularly memorable or catching. The songs (or tunes with lyrics) tend to be quite strong (especially the last one) but on an album which is fairly unremarkable for the large part they do little to save it. Very average in my opinion. Also would have been nice to hear some piano on it rather than that constant synth
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

A nice cohesive album with an inmersive sound/timbre/textures/production, and interesting concept. Some very good tracks like Night of the Thousand Furry Toys, Breakdown, Hidden Fear and Along The Shoreline, but most of them are not very memorable. A solid 3 for me.
pato26473
Axe
Axe

Post by pato26473 »

Eclipse wrote:My favorite solo album. Very atmospheric and emotional, i can never get tired of it.
This and Roger'a ATD are the pinnacle of the PF's solo careers, and are IMO as good as DSOTM, Animals (but not as great as WYWH, since nothing can be).
I do agree with you, I can never get tired of listening to it. Excellent job done by the Great Rick Wright.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

I've been having a day of listening to stuff I rarely listen to and have this playing now. Not listened to it in at least 10 years. Like many of the others here I found it unmemorable but Im absolutely loving it now, not sure why its clicked, maybe its gained a resonance since Ricks passing but Im finding it a wonderful mood album with some beautiful playing and Pinhead O'Connor or not, Reaching For The Rails sent shivers down my spine. This time yesterday Id have rated this a 1, today its a 4!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

OK Im ready to vote, earlier when I posted I ended up playing Reaching For The Rail 4 times in a row! Ive just got home and am now in my 3rd time in a row since returning. It gets a 5 for this! anything else on the album is a bonus!
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

You know, I can listen to this album almost all the way through - I say almost, because I always skip O'Connor's songs - and not fall asleep, unlike OAI. Hmmm. Rick should have done more after this album, or at least we could see another Pink Floyd album would have been quite good with his imput.

I understand that some of the material may have been rejected from the Div. Bell - Old Fat Guts made a mistake me thinks.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

In hindsight, I think Gilmour and Wright should have collaborated more, even if it wasn't under the Pink Floyd umbrella. I like The Division Bell better than either On An Island or Broken China. On An Island is a bit too snoozy and content and this one is undercooked. The version of Breakthrough that Rick performed at the Meltdown show is far superior to what's on the album. A missed opportunity perhaps?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Hogtown wrote:I understand that some of the material may have been rejected from the Div. Bell - Old Fat Guts made a mistake me thinks.
As much as I read in Rick's interviews, all of the songs on "Broken China" were written well after "The Division Bell" was finished. Though "Along The Shoreline" always sounded like it was ripped right off "The Division Bell" to me.