Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
29%
16%
26%
10%
1 - Worst
19%

Total votes: 80

Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

My least favorite solo album by Roger Waters, but it's still quite good. It certainly grows on you over time...
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Brilliant concept and atmosphere, lyrically my favourite Waters album although occasionally spoilt by embarassing production. Oh, and that god awful title track. Other than that i really like it though and would call it by far the best solo album
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Well, this album starts out in an amazing way, keeps going really good (great guitar from Clapton, great lyrics and vocals from Roger), but near the end that AWFUL title track begins...why Roger, why??
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Dave, Rick, and Nick would have been able to beat this album into shape.
Eclipse

Re: Pros and Cons

Post by Eclipse »

Radio Waves from Radio KAOS is like Echoes when compared to that awful display of bad taste title track from Pros and Cons. I really like the rest of the album though.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Not more than 3.

IMHO, "Sexual Revolution", "Go Fishing" and "Every Stranger's Eyes" hold up well, the rest of it has a couple of great moments, but for me the whole album was ruined by the awful guitar work of Eric Clapton at the rock bottom of his career. There are also a lot of themes that seem like "The Final Cut" leftovers and the story isn't really great at all.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I like the long version of the title track but the album version doesn't work that well for me.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

The long version of the title track??
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

David Smith wrote:I remember Mossy telling a funny story about this album and him and his mate hanging out in a shed. Can't remember what thread it's in though
Using the search function yields no results...I wonder if Keef deleted it?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

It was in the humour in music thread in the floyd forum (concerned with the broadway project)
mosespa wrote:I've told this story before, but it seems to bear repeating, here

I bought PACOHH while in high school. One evening, a friend of mine who was a bass player came over to jam with me (I was a drummer at the time.) A miniature doberman (or something like that) that belonged to one of the neighbors was following us everywhere we went. It was a very friendly dog, it seemed to like us, so we let it hang with us while we sat in the shed smoking a joint, drinking some beers (if I didn't shave for a week, I didn't get carded for beer at a nearby supermarket,) and listening to PACOHH.

My friend was very much into Prog and didn't consider PF as such. He was one of those guys who considered PF "simple." I was trying to convince him otherwise and he gamely agreed to listen to the album since PF were supposed to be good for that.

It was during Sexual Revolution that I decided to step outside and relieve myself. The dog followed me. Not to be overly graphic, but it was a beer piss and it was going on for some time. The dog got interested in something else and took off across the yard.

Thinking nothing of it (I was quite high,) I returned to the shed on the line "between two bits of...bread," looked at my friend, smile and said "yeah...dog sandwich, man," and sat down. My friend gazed at me in bewilderment for a few seconds then broke out in laughter as the dog came back to the shed.

I asked him what was so funny...he hadn't been paying attention to the lyrics; all he knew was that I left, the dog followed me and when I returned, the dog wasn't there and I said "dog sandwich."

"I thought you ate the dog, dude," he said with as much sincerity as someone in the throes of relieved laughter can muster.

One of my favorite moments ever.
Made me laugh anyways
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

OMG :lol:
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

i love that album, but i agree with Eclipse, the title track is just soooo strange
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

mosespa wrote:Using the search function yields no results...I wonder if Keef deleted it?
I don't generally delete things!

Is this is?

http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... nd#p435707

EDIT: Seems you found it already!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I know that, boss...but I'm also aware that there have been server changes and other types of technical stuff like that since that post was made.

No way of telling (for me, anyway) if anything might have gotten accidentally deleted or something in the process. :D
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Eclipse wrote:Radio Waves from Radio KAOS is like Echoes when compared to that awful display of bad taste title track from Pros and Cons. I really like the rest of the album though.
Care to elaborate?
Are you a friend of Yoko Ono?
Do you hate references to the movie Shane?
Was it the uncensored album cover?
Was it the housewife from Encino that was drinking and driving and cheating on her husband?
It couldn't have been the Angel on the Harley, could it?
I got it...it's because Waters refers to himself as being too good looking!