Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
27%
26%
20%
12%
1 - Worst
16%

Total votes: 141

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Post by Keith Jordan »

This thread is to discuss Pink Floyd's The Final Cut and is linked to from the Pink Floyd Discography section.

Feel free to discuss the album!

01. The Post War Dream
02. Your Possible Pasts
03. One Of The Few
04. When The Tigers Broke Free
05. The Hero's Return
06. The Gunners Dream
07. Paranoid Eyes
08. Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert
09. The Fletcher Memorial Home
10. Southampton Dock
11. The Final Cut
12. Not Now John
13. Two Suns In The Sunset
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Post by Stephen »

This is an album I've only listened to a couple of times so I have no strong views on it either for or against. I found myself singing along to Not Now John though if that means anything.
Twid
Axe
Axe

Post by Twid »

Bought the album, passed on the cd. I'm not quite sure exactly what makes me not like it but i'm sure it wasn't the Roger vs Dave and "lack of" Rick wars.... because at the time I was only vaguely (sp) aware of the conflicts.

Not Now John f****g Rocks though.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

It's not Pink Floyd's best album, it's not the most musically balanced album, but it's still my favorite album. Beautiful lyrics, singing and music all the way through. A truly emotional work of genius. I don't see how anyone can not be affected by the likes of songs like "The Gunner's Dream" and "The Final Cut". Even "Two suns in the sunset" is a good song.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Should we discuss the album, as in "the work of art"? or the album as in "the release"? I have the re-mastered version with Tigers on it, but like to listen more to a CD-R of the original CD or the remastered one, don't know which one I have, I stole it! from a friend.... but he stole it from the internet, so I guess is OK.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Absolutely love it, Roger writes superb concept albums :) .
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Absolute genius.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Heh i never liked this album, but this year i discovered the genius and beauty of it. Now i think it is the last true masterpiece of PF, since i can't mention any flaws within it. Emotional and superb songwriting!
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I've never been able to get into this album. It sounds very much like a Roger Waters solo album rather than a Pink Floyd record. I don't like the way he sings on it either..by this stage he'd developed a singing style that often involved yelping a lot. Having said that, The Gunners Dream is a nice song and I'm quite partial to Not Now John because it's loud and has swearwords in it.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

I love it. With few exceptions. Thats that.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I think it's very strong. Waters is at his lyrical best here, in my opinion, which goes some way in making up for the slightly lacklustre (only in some parts) musical content. It's clearly not a band effort, which knocks a point off if I'm viewing it as a Pink Floyd album (and I am), but where he does perform on it, Gilmour sounds superb. It's definitely a classic.

4/5. I would like to give it 5/5, but the music is not as good as it could be for PF, so it doesn't deserve it as a PF album. If it was just Roger Waters with some session musicians, it would definitely be 5/5, but it strikes me as having unfulfilled potential under the PF name.

*I have just remembered the reason it only gets 4/5. NOT NOW JOHN. It is so out of place and pointless.
Peter Beasley
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Beasley »

I've never subscribed to the notion that TFC is a Waters solo album. Yes, he dominates proceedings, but as the sleeve says 'Written by Roger Waters, performed by Pink Floyd'. That in itself marks it out from 'Pros and Cons', 'Radio KAOS' and 'Amused to Death'.

Gilmour and Mason are not exactly overused on TFC, but their contributions are excellent and played with zest that belies the turmoil that surrounded the recording.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

PublicImage wrote:I think it's very strong. Waters is at his lyrical best here, in my opinion, which goes some way in making up for the slightly lacklustre (only in some parts) musical content. It's clearly not a band effort, which knocks a point off if I'm viewing it as a Pink Floyd album (and I am), but where he does perform on it, Gilmour sounds superb. It's definitely a classic.

4/5. I would like to give it 5/5, but the music is not as good as it could be for PF, so it doesn't deserve it as a PF album. If it was just Roger Waters with some session musicians, it would definitely be 5/5, but it strikes me as having unfulfilled potential under the PF name.

*I have just remembered the reason it only gets 4/5. NOT NOW JOHN. It is so out of place and pointless.
I thought you only gave 4 or 5/10 you yer fav albums!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Used to like it a lot but not so fond any longer. The songs have a real emotional and lyrical depth but at points it's just not very musically involving. Songs like Paranoid Eyes, The Gunners Dream and South Hampton Dock are a fine set of lyrics but definitely a case of substance over style. In saying that 2 suns in the sunset, your possible pasts, fletcher memorial home and the title track are all excellent efforts and amongst Floyd's strongest output in my opinion.

And for those who call it a Waters solo album, while he definitely wrote all the songs i would say the presence of the band kept it sounding Floydian. It doesn't share all the signatures of a Waters solo album like the reliance on backing vocalists (in particular female vocalists), the pomposity in production and the often cringeworthy attempts at anthemic choruses. Instead, to me the album sounds like a logical progression from The Wall and is really where the floyd stopped making albums that followed a particular developmental trend
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

moom wrote:I thought you only gave 4 or 5/10 you yer fav albums!
I do. And this is one of my favourite albums.