Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
27%
26%
20%
12%
1 - Worst
16%

Total votes: 141

David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Re: Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Post by David Smith »

If you reread his post he appears to be suggesting that your favourite album only get 4/5 out of 10... In other words he's making jest that you hate everything
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I find it hard to make sense of his posts sometimes. This was no exception to that rule.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

PublicImage wrote:I find it hard to make sense of his posts sometimes. This was no exception to that rule.
This was a plain misunderstanding this time.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

In the 80s, this seemed to be the best produced album I had ever heard.

It is challenging. It takes on heavy subject matter and pushes the limits of pop music.

It is bleak.

In 2007 I broke from tradition and did not listen to it on Rememberence Day...haven't since. Probably because I traded for the newer version with the Tiger Broke Free...it interupts the flow of what is familiar to me.okay, these days I find Roger sounds a wee bit whiny on it at times

4.5/5
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

This is the album where the words were more important than the music
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

hmm, maybe one of these days I´ll listen my vinyl´s b- side too ... or rather not :smt015
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

The Final Cut is the second best song in the world to use the sound of a gunshot!
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

4/5

Paranoid Eyes is an overlooked gem. Better than Lyin' Eyes, Bette Davis Eyes and Hungry Eyes put together.

The Final Cut (the song) is songwriting of a very high caliber. Gilmours' solo is perfect.

A couple of songs annoy me. Two Suns in the Sunset is not one of them. Great ending to an amazing album that had no commercial potential except for the brand name. Coming on the heels of The Wall this must have been confusing for Radio Programmers. What the hell did they play?

Can any of you older folks remember what the radio did with this release? Beside the cleaned up NNJ. It must have been slim pickings compared to The Wall. I've never heard any of this on the radio. Another reason it is still great.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I won this album in a radio contest and got it 3 or 4 days before it was officially released. I loved it at the time, but the love has not lasted for me. There are a few good songs on it...I like Paranoid Eyes and Two Suns in the Sunset, but there is some really annoying stuff on it too. Not Now John is one of those annoying moments. Overall, the album just doesn't work for me. I appreciate what Waters was trying to say, but it didn't connect with me, and musically, I don't find it that interesting. It seems to me a taste of things to come, as far as Roger's solo career was to go, and that hasn't thrilled me either. As someone else said, here is where the lyrics become more important than the music, and I agree. The music was always more important to me, and that's perhaps why I can't really get into this album, or most of Roger's solo works. Still, for those few good songs, I'll give it a 2/5.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

I gave it a three, which means it is one of the Pink Floyd albums I like least. Lyrically I think it really has something, but musically it doesn't deliver much at all, and I think there has to be a balance somewhere.

I think the orchestral arrangements are so overblown, and there is not enough use of the conventional "rock band" format. "Pros And Cons" was very wordy and and not overly melodic, but I liked the fact that there was lots of sax, lots of guitars lots of rock keyboards and lots of drums. By contrast, there is just not enough "rock" on "The Final Cut" for me.

Funnily enough, my favourite track on "The Final Cut" is "When The Tigers Broke Free", a song (if such it can be called) not even on the original album, and one that has no rock instruments at all.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Pat Albertson wrote:"Pros And Cons" was very wordy and and not overly melodic, but I liked the fact that there was lots of sax.
<.8.> Along with the screaming ladies I really hate Waters' use of sax on his solo albums, each appearance of the instrument brings terrible images of the friendly ALF to my mind :smt091 . And that pretty much ruins any atmosphere and emotional resonance the album has being trying to build so far. I think that's the reason I hate Paranoid Eyes, or is it The Gunner's Dream? Don't remember, the song with the cheesy sax solo on TFC.
Last edited by danielcaux on Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

That's "The Gunner's Dream", but I like that sax solo. I don't really like the sax solos on "Pros And Cons" though. All of them sound just like "Lethal Weapon" soundtrack. No wonder, being that Waters used the "Lethal Weapon" trio - Clapton, Sanborn and Kamen.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

I've never owned this album but I've heard it and it's ok but it doesn't do much for me. You know, for me, it's like, "shut up already and stop beating us over the head, Rog".
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Idisaffect wrote:Can any of you older folks remember what the radio did with this release? Beside the cleaned up NNJ. It must have been slim pickings compared to The Wall. I've never heard any of this on the radio. Another reason it is still great.
I remember Your Possible Pasts being the first thing I heard from it
I liked it from the day it came out, but I was a Floydfan who came aboard with the Wall and was a Rogerpartisan
my friends dismissed it as "Roger whining" and "still not having gotten over his fathers death"
for me it sparked an interest in history and politics, as I tried to understand what Roger was talking about

remember this was the early 80s, from my teenage experience it seemed antiwar protests were something that went out with the 1960s
certainly the other teenagers and grownups I knew made a conspicuous point of being apolitical and even laughing about the misfortunes of the poor and those stupid enough to be born in a 3rd world country, the whole dog-eat-dog winner-take-all philosophy was very fashionable in the early Reagan years and Rogers new album was completely against the grain of the current political fashion trends

a question to those who know British history: was the term "PostWar Dream" used to describe a specific set of policy changes following the end of WWII? seems to me there was the institution of a cradle-to-grave welfare state at that time, which Thatcher dismantled
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

danielcaux wrote:
Pat Albertson wrote:"Pros And Cons" was very wordy and and not overly melodic, but I liked the fact that there was lots of sax.
<.8.> Along with the screaming ladies I really hate Waters' use of sax on his solo albums, each appearance of the instrument brings terrible images of the friendly ALF to my mind:

And that pretty much ruins any atmosphere and emotional resonance the album has being trying to build so far. I think that's the reason I hate Paranoid Eyes, or is it The Gunner's Dream? Don't remember, the song with the cheesy sax solo on TFC.
Perhaps I should have said, "There's lots of SEX in "Pros & Cons""! :shock: :?