The Wall 30th Anniversary November 2009 - ????

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Wall 30th Anniversary November 2009 - ????

Post by Keith Jordan »

So, do you think it will be re-released in some form or another? What are the chances of us finally getting some video of the shows???
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: The Wall 30th Anniversary November 2009 - ????

Post by PublicImage »

I hope not.
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

I would like to see a dvd of the shows but I'm not too interested in another re-release of the album. Could be interesting though if a nice package was put together with a live dvd, the album, some photos of the gig, prints of scarfe's animations, and maybe a tour poster like one that would have been used to advertise the shows. I doubt it would happen though.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I hope they do a DVD-A release and/or release the video footage on DVD.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

You can get reprints of The Wall concert advert posters on ebay.

I've had two for years...one for New York and one for Dortmund.

I'd like to see them go back to the original multi-track tapes (if they still exist) and restore the stuff that had to be cut out due to the constraints of vinyl.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think a remixed, re-mastered DVD-A or SACD would be in order as a hybrid disc complete with some video at least from The Wall concerts. That would be interesting, with some new interviews and insights with the band and other people involved. I enjoyed bits of The Lost Doc that was out a few years ago before official sales of it disappeared, only for it to enter the world of "bootleg trading" soon after!

It would be nice to have a significant package regarding The Wall. That, and a new Roger Waters studio album! 8)
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

Keith Jordan wrote:...and a new Roger Waters studio album! 8)
Most definately. I was reading the Amused To Death thread last night, or this morning whatever you wanna call 5:30am before sleep. Anyway if roger was to put out another solid album like this it would be great. I was inspired by that thread to put on the album while I was reading through the posts, having not listened to it for a few months I think it is the best solo output from any of the boys; although the stats found on the recent survey side with OAI I think this is a far better album.

Anyway the wall... The movie has been on one of the movie channels on sky recently. I watched it but couldn't help remembering the last time I did. It was about three or four years ago and me and a few mates went mushie pickin earlier that day and sat tripping as we watched. Absolutely crazy, in fact I havnt ventured into the world of psilocybin since then.
towg
Embryo
Embryo

Post by towg »

Looking back on the footage of the Earls Court gigs from 1980 the lighting and camera angles are really bad....I doubt that the tapes that Rog posesses can do justice to those wonderful nights. I think a hell of a lot of retouching and editing will be in order to make the concert seem half as good as we imagine (and am sure it was incredible to be there in person)

I still hope that Rog finds someone up to the job of editing the whole gig, though....my dvd of Divided We Fall downloaded from Pirate Bay is almost transparent Ive played it so much....
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Possibly. Roger's got the rights to The Wall and has allowed things connected with it to be sold before.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

I fear the anniversary may be marked by a Broadway Musical.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Given that the re-release of The Wall is more of a Roger Waters' prerogative, I have reasonable expectations for it not end being the same kind of trickery re-release that "Oh, By The Way" was. But is there any thing we can learn from history? The 20th anniversary re-release was a remastered audio with restored artwork kind of thing; compared with the previous CD release it was an upgraded in packaging but not so much in sound, although it was not so compressed to hell as the dreadful DSoTM 30th anniversary stereo mix was. I think there was ANOTHER re-release after that, which I didn't bought, the one made by Capitol (fock them) with just the blank wall on the backcover (no titles for the songs, etc).

I think this 30th anniversary could be a good oportunity for the release of:

A) The Wall Live video (although perhaps he is saving that for a 2010-2011 30th anniversary of the concerts?)
B) The Wall 5.1 Mix (SACD or DVD-A)
C) The Wall "The Frankestein Edition" a re-mix by Sean Ellis, performed by Pink Floyd.
D) An official version of C.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Unless there is a whole lot of extra material (and this is unlikely since PF never seem to release their demos and off-cuts), there is no way I will be buying yet another copy of "The Wall", when I have several different versions of it anyway. There is too much other good music out there to spend my music budget on.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I expect to get "C" to cwta_eugene by sometime in February. :lol:

I DO think an official version of it would rock, though. :D
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

I would love a nice Christmas present, but maybe I will be the boy that Santa Claus forgot. :lol:
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

What is this "C" thing you guys are talking about??

He needs to mark the 30th anniversary with a huge live performance of The Wall like he did in Berlin.

The Wall, or PF, wasnt as "cool" back then as it is now. Plus, back then, a lot of people didnt realize that Waters is Pink. Now, thanks to Live 8, more people know the truth.

Plus, with the better technology of today, he could do a massive show...live before pay per view or something and get real "living legends" to be part of the show.

Imagine the possibilities: Elton John doing stuff, Paul McCartney getting in on the stuff, Beyonce doing Thin Ice, some hot babe doing Mother along with Waters.

It would rule.

That would rule.