Roger Waters - Live In Berlin 1990

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
10%
12%
22%
31%
1 - Rate this
24%

Total votes: 49

Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Roger Waters - Live In Berlin 1990

Post by Duckboy »

I thought it was self expanlatory. Pink hates those around him so he builds up his wall then at the end of the film he realises much of it was his fault so the hate begins to shift towards himself, because of his wall his hatred of himself doesnt show to anyone on the outside (except perhaps in his self destructive ways which no-one seems to notice anyway) so what a better way to expose hatred for something than destroying it. He destroys himself by killing himself and in killing himself shows the world he hates himself or otherwise exposes his self hatred... also what better place to kill yourself than in a toilet? isn't that where it usually happens? that or a bathroom? :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Duckboy wrote:so what a better way to expose hatred for something than destroying it.
Destroying by making it better ;) ? By killing yourself, you'll only bring another pain to "ones who really love you" ;) . Earlier, he said "Is it too late?" The demolition shows it's not ;) .

Okay, I'm off for a while.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

But, as far as I can tell, no one really loved him. If they really loved him they would have helped him through the bad times and not run off with another man *wink*. And yeah i know it wasnt too late, there was still at least one way out *wink*.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Mother did. Also, there's nothing said about friends ;) and from the movie, we know he had some in school.
He might have overreacted a bit as well. I know that from my own experience. Sometimes you really think they're against you.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I was there, and very close to the stage too
"special" guests and technical fiascos aside, this was a very damn humongous spectacle, easily the largest scale event any of the Floyds ever created
those who have more than a few vintage boots know the Floyds always wrestled with technical fiascos, as an inevitable result of their evergrowing ambition, it just happened this was a onetime only event broadcast round the world

anyways ignore the album, it doesnt capture much of the experience and instead focuses too much attention on the presence of the "special" guests
I would guess the video gives more of a sense of the theatrical element, though Ive never seen it, I would think it still comes short, viewed from the comforts of your own living room
you would have to understand the stage is built across the ruins of this thing called the "Berlin Wall", of which more may be learned in history books, that many of the planes doing fly-bys and bands marching across the stage are from either the former East Germany or the Soviet Union, and that Hitlers bunker is rumoured to have been somewhere under Potsdamer Platz, where the audience is standing
if I could transplant my memories of the event into your brains I would cuz it was an experience
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

J Ed wrote: if I could transplant my memories of the event into your brains I would cuz it was an experience
Nice idea, J Ed. 8) It was certainly an experience I'll never forget.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

ddebil wrote:
J Ed wrote: if I could transplant my memories of the event into your brains I would cuz it was an experience
Nice idea, J Ed. 8) It was certainly an experience I'll never forget.
Yes, I am sure it was an incredible experience to be there.

I guess my two star rating and negative comments need to clearly pointed at the album and DVD release, rather than the show itself.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Duckboy wrote:1. Well "The Show" is life as far as I can tell. Do you agree with me there?

He wants to leave "The Show" so he wants to die if "The Show" is life.

2. The only reason he's waiting in his "cell" is to find out if hes guilty. The way I took it was his cell was himself, he was the thing preventing him from being free. Again just speculation. (I like that he's waiting to find out if he's guilty because "The Trial" is within himself so its guilt culture masquerading as a shame culture so him guilty being guilty actually refers to the way he's feeling and not the ruling of a judge. It's actually the only reason I mentioned this line. :lol: )

3. The outcome of "The Trial" is him being found guilty so he has nothing left to wait for takes of his uniform and leaves the show. I could be taking it completely wrong though :lol:

4. Read your article by the way. Very good, true too.

5. EDIT: also hes coming of his high by that stage because he seems to realise hes not dictator
1. No, I do not agree. I've always taken "the show" to be the show that he's performing at during ITF, RLH and WFTW.

You know...the show that the doctor in Comfortably Numb is injecting him with a stimulant to be able to perform? That show.

2. His cell could be himself...it could be the space created by his wall surrounding him...there could be a cell set within the wall (as suggested by the cover art.) There are several options, I'll give you that:)

3. The outcome of The Trial is that he must tear down the wall in order to become a feeling human being again. While behind the wall, he's been going mad...if he ever expects to regain his sanity, he must tear down the wall. At no point that I can see is The Wall a question of literal, physical life-or-death.

4. Thanks, lol. :D

5. Waiting For The Worms is him flipping back and forth between the drugged persona (the dictator) and the real, feeling human within. The drugs that The Doctor gave him are wearing off.

This is Roger Waters' own description of what's happening there.

I feel confident that I can answer any other questions you may have about what's going on in The Wall, also. :lol: :lol:
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

moom wrote:Mother did. Also, there's nothing said about friends ;) and from the movie, we know he had some in school.
He might have overreacted a bit as well. I know that from my own experience. Sometimes you really think they're against you.
They seemed like pretty bad friends, they just ran off and left him there, didn't try to stop him or anything.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

Well really there is no point arguing over it, we have equal chance of being right and no way to resolve the dispute so we should just abandon it.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I disagree. :lol:

Roger Waters has given a rather explicit description of what he intended The Wall to be about.

So...you can say "it's all interpretive" if you want to; but that only goes to demonstrate that Waters was right by suggesting that there's some kind of barrier between him and his audience.

It's not interpretive at all. If it were, I don't think he (Waters) would have taken such great pains to create a definite story to illustrate through the songs.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

That last post I made was my way of saying I can't be bothered arguing.. mostly because I havent got enough knowledge as to what Roger Waters has said about it... but I would like to point something else out, The Wall was something Pink created himself. Roger created the barrier between him and his audience. How do you know he isn't lying about everything he has said relating to The Wall just to expand The Wall?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

First...read this:

http://www.pink-floyd.org/artint/119.htm

I don't understand your question.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

I will read it later, right now I'm in school.

Well you said Pinks wall was representing the barrier Roger felt between him and his audience. I haven't gotten that wrong have I?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

It's representative of that, yes.

But, in order to present it, Roger created a storyline in which the wall seperates the character of Pink from everyone else.

If you can follow that.