Roger Waters - Live In Berlin 1990

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
10%
12%
22%
31%
1 - Rate this
24%

Total votes: 49

Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Roger Waters - Live In Berlin 1990

Post by Duckboy »

Yes I can.

And Pink created his wall himself, yes?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

mosespa wrote:It's not interpretive at all. If it were, I don't think he (Waters) would have taken such great pains to create a definite story to illustrate through the songs.
All works of art have multiple levels of interpretation, the author's conscious point of view is only one of them.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

danielcaux wrote:
mosespa wrote:It's not interpretive at all. If it were, I don't think he (Waters) would have taken such great pains to create a definite story to illustrate through the songs.
All works of art have multiple levels of interpretation, the author's conscious point of view is only one of them.
Yes but Rogers is the only important one :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Duckboy wrote:Yes I can.

Well, Pink blamed it on his wife, mother, schoolmaster, death of his father, etc. etc.

But yes...he actually built it himself.
danielcaux wrote:
I disagree. Without the author's conscious point of view, the work of art could never have come into being to begin with.

I believe that while all interpretations can be valid, there is still an objective statement being made by the author.

You can interpret The Wall to mean "that we all live like Italians" (to quote something R.PITI has probably forgotten that he threw at me once, :lol: ) but there is still the fact that Roger intended it to convey that "trying to solve a problem in terms created by the problem only leads to other problems."

A person can interpret The Wall to be the story of a giant ass stomping around in search of his flame-headed wife who is being held captive by the wicked schoolmaster and the mother of the hammers...but the fact remains that when Roger set out to tell the story, the ass was the judge in The Trial, the flame-headed wife is Pink's and not that of the ass and she's not being held captive by the schoolmaster, etc. etc. etc.

Regardless of one's personal interpretation (which may still be valid) there is STILL an inherent point being made which I feel supercedes any outside interpretation of the work.

In other words, I consider my interpretation to be less important than what the author was actually trying to say.

In fact, my interpretation could lead to a failure of the author to get his point across...which then renders his attempt futile; as I see it.

I'm not interested in frustrating artists. :D
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

mosespa wrote:
Duckboy wrote:Yes I can.

Well, Pink blamed it on his wife, mother, schoolmaster, death of his father, etc. etc.

But yes...he actually built it himself.
Well Pinks wall is representing Rogers barrier between himself and the audience. If Pinks wall is self created then Rogers barrier is self created. Do you still agree?

If not then 'The Wall' according to Rogers idea of the barrier is flawed and as such is no better than anyone elses ideas on 'The Wall'.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Duckboy wrote:1. Well Pinks wall is representing Rogers barrier between himself and the audience.

2. If Pinks wall is self created then Rogers barrier is self created. Do you still agree?

3. If not then 'The Wall' according to Rogers idea of the barrier is flawed and as such is no better than anyone elses ideas on 'The Wall'.
1. Not just of Roger's barrier...but of ANY barrier which people erect around themselves in order to prevent unpleasant things from happening to them.

2. Yes, but not necessarily in the way that you present here. Roger has admitted that the barrier that he felt was between the band and the audience was the result of their own greed in allowing themselves to play in places where the intimacy that they once felt between themselves and the audience is impossible to achieve.

3. I wouldn't say that it's "no better than anyone else's," just because without his interpretation of it, he couldn't have written the piece in the first place.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

mosespa wrote: See the parenthetical statement in point two above. :lol:

...... The show was designed to raise money for the Memorial Fund For Disaster Relief.
Yes, I was aware of that and that is a nice thing to do.

As a MUSICAL PRODUCT I was not impressed with it, that's all. I don't need to hear Brian Adams singing Young Lust. I certainly have nothing negative to say about the event itself. As a video it's an interesting spectacle. It just has no musical value for me.

I've got the whole Waters/Wall interview here at my house. I don't really like the interview because I like the mystery of The Wall.
Like when you first hear it.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Duckboy wrote:
moom wrote:Mother did. Also, there's nothing said about friends ;) and from the movie, we know he had some in school.
He might have overreacted a bit as well. I know that from my own experience. Sometimes you really think they're against you.
They seemed like pretty bad friends, they just ran off and left him there, didn't try to stop him or anything.
Erm they did call him off :?
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

mosespa wrote: Yes, but not necessarily in the way that you present here. Roger has admitted that the barrier that he felt was between the band and the audience was the result of their own greed in allowing themselves to play in places where the intimacy that they once felt between themselves and the audience is impossible to achieve.
Ok but is there a chance that by lying to you about what the wall is about he is increasing that barrier, trying to distance himself from us? :lol:
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Expensive karaoke
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

it wasn't Rogers best ideas but his heart was in the right place
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Duckboy wrote:
mosespa wrote: Yes, but not necessarily in the way that you present here. Roger has admitted that the barrier that he felt was between the band and the audience was the result of their own greed in allowing themselves to play in places where the intimacy that they once felt between themselves and the audience is impossible to achieve.
Ok but is there a chance that by lying to you about what the wall is about he is increasing that barrier, trying to distance himself from us? :lol:
What purpose would that serve?

I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, but let me first say that I GET the whole "teen-angst, rebellious, don't-believe-everything-you-read, don't-trust-the-man" sort of thing; Really, I get that.

But what you're getting at here is the suggestion that a guy would spend over five years of his life writing an album, recording that album, explaining that album in interviews multiple times, performing that album live and making a movie about it just so he could lie about what it's all really about.

Dude, I'M supposed to be the resident misanthrope here. :lol:
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

:lol: :lol: My argument was just rather poor after I started reading more about 'The Wall' so I went for something you couldn't possibly beat. You never will know if Roger is telling the truth.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

You're correct that I can never KNOW, since I will never be inside his head.

However, all of the interviews that I've read (and I've read many, many interviews with many people who have been involved with the album/film/concerts,) and all of the research that I've done when double-checked and cross referenced all adds up.

I may never KNOW whether or not Roger is lying...but I CAN be (and am,) 99.99 percent sure that he's not lying.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

If Roger Waters is lying than Pink Floyd sucks.

I believe him.