Richard Wright - Broken China

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
31%
19%
29%
13%
1 - Worst
9%

Total votes: 70

danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Richard Wright - Broken China

Post by danielcaux »

IMO Broken China's sound is closer to AMLoR than The Division Bell.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Only because of the ridiculous amount of synthesizers used on it, but in song structures and the overall atmosphere it is far more mature than both AMLOR and TDB.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

IMO Broken China(togerher with Rogers ATD) is best of all Pink Floyd solo albums.
Very, very good album.
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

This is another album I bought when it was released, listened to it once or twice, put it away. Only started listening to it again after Richard's death. Did not realize how good it was. His voice in some of the songs is quite haunting, as is his duet with Sinead O'Connor. He will be sorely missed.
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

I don't like any of this. I gave it 1 just for Richard bless him.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

I have listened to Broken China recently after maybe two years or so. Well, I still love this album. It captures the Floyd spirit for me in a similar way Roger's Each Small Candle does. While David's style are mostly laid back, moody, sleepy songs, Broken China is daring, delving into darker moods. I can see why David regretted this material wasn't ready when they recorded the Division Bell. Most of the songs are very strong (Night of a Thousand Furry Toys, Far from the Harbour Wall, Along the Shoreline, Breakthrough, my personal favourite being the magnificent Reaching for the Rail) and some of the longer instrumentals work very well too (Sweet July, Satellite). The record even has a concept - something the post-Waters Floyd have never been able to achieve. Sure, there are weaker places too, but overall it's an honest album, that definitely hints at what makes Floyd the Floyd for me. Also worth mentioning is the fantastic musicianship (Katche, Palladino, Renwick) and production (not that this was something irregular with Pink Floyd).
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

One, and that's being generous.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

was this one ever released on vinyl?
RWW
Embryo
Embryo

Post by RWW »

pato26473 wrote:
Eclipse wrote:My favorite solo album. Very atmospheric and emotional, i can never get tired of it.
This and Roger'a ATD are the pinnacle of the PF's solo careers, and are IMO as good as DSOTM, Animals (but not as great as WYWH, since nothing can be).
I do agree with you, I can never get tired of listening to it. Excellent job done by the Great Rick Wright.
Agreed, His BEST work... I do not get tired of this one what so ever!!
progo
Axe
Axe

Post by progo »

Very subtle and monochromatic themes make a difference. I had no trouble getting into the album and it never gets old because of the subtleties. A solid performance indeed! [-D-]
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

I really love this album. It's no snack by any means; more of a meal. It takes some listening to. It grows on you over time, even on the instrumental tracks, you can feel what Richard was feeling, and the guitarists featured on this album must have had a blast imitating Gilmour's sound--it really worked fantastically.

The tracks like Woman of Custom really have a lot of texture to them. It's like, when there are no words being said, the instruments and even the slightest electronic sounds are put in place and form an emotion of their own. It's about timing, and it's used in a great way through the album. Every echo and key or string or voice is placed in the right place. Nothing seems out of place. What's strange about this album and a lot of Floyd albums and solo albums is that even though I was new to the music at some point, it's as if you can't imagine the world existing without it. Once you've heard it, it's almost like you've heard it somewhere else at some other point in your life; whether it be in a movie or on the radio, it's quite a magical thing.

A track I'm really fond of is Sweet July. The way it sounds--even my dad noticed it when he first gave it a listen--it sounds oddly familiar, like it belongs somewhere, or like he's heard it somewhere before.

I like this album a lot. It can be a bit of a downer at times, but it's a great listen. Very underrated album, IMHO.

I'd say this album is a 4/5. Maybe even a 4.5.

I'm more of a sound person than a lyric one. The lyrics may not have been the best, but the atmosphere and sound of the album sure make up for it.
sherer
Axe
Axe

Post by sherer »

i've always been a fan of Rick and loved his early songs so am still thinking about getting this.

I know Rick struggle babdly with writting lyrics and didn't even is song on TDB have some help from Anthony Moore ? How much writting does he do on this one ?

Is this worth buying to someone who doesn't have it or would I be better left with my other memories of Rick ?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I can't say I thought a lot of this album really. Meh is the only word I can think of to sum it up. It's not terrible but it's just not very good either. Rick worked better as a collaborator I think. It's a pity he didn't work more with David Gilmour. Who knows what might have happened if they'd continued on their collaboration following on from On An Island/tour/barn jams.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

sherer wrote: I know Rick struggle babdly with writting lyrics and didn't even is song on TDB have some help from Anthony Moore ? How much writting does he do on this one ?
There is an interview with him on a DVD where he talks of how he pays little attention to lyrics anyway (something with which I empathise), even when he was with Floyd so I guess it's no surprise.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Some of the album sounded like he was playing scant attention to melody either