Q Mags -100 songs that changed the world

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Q Mags -100 songs that changed the world

Post by quicksilver »

Pink Floyds 'Interstellar Overdrive' made the list at #71...........I believe that if any Floyd song deserved to make that list it should be one from the Syd Barrett era however, I probably would have went with 'Astronomy Domine' because I think that song is identified with the band more than any other of that era.

What do you think? are there any others that you thought should make the list?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Well i would have hoped Echoes got on myself. I'm not sure why but it just seems special.

Is that new Q edition out? Didn't think it came out until next week along with the magazine.

Oh well, Pink Floyd deserve their own special edition actually, REM got one so surely they should have as Echoes came out.

Anyway, yeah, Echoes.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Out of intrest, which song won the poll?
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

1. That’s All Right – Elvis Presley
Rock 'n' roll history begins here. "If I could find a white man who had the Negro sound and the Negro feel, I could make a billion dollars." History tells us this was a constant refrain from the mouth of Sun Records boss Sam Phillips, and in 1954 his dream came true. Whether he made a billion dollars is left up to the accountants to determine, but one thing is sure. The singer he found, one Elvis Aaron Presley, changed the face of music forever.

2. I Want To Hold Your Hand – The Beatles
The song that broke America. It is one of history's more notable minor quirks that President Kennedy was assassinated on 22 November 1963, one week before the UK release of The Beatles' fifth single. The two events might seem unconnected, yet the role of I Wanna Hold Your Hand in the USA's recovery from this bleak event is unquestionable.

3. God Save The Queen – The Sex Pistols
Punk call-to-arms that raised the spectre of civil war. God Save The Queen created a moment quite unlike anything that has happened before or since in the annals of rock.

4. Rapper’s Delight – Sugarhill Gang
The record that gave rap to the world - Released in 1979 this was the record that took the new form of music around the world.

5. Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana
The Daddy of grunge. Dave Grohl (of Nirvana, and now The Foo Fighters) said, "A lot of Teen Spirit was derivitive of the Pixies or Sonic Youth. It was just another jam. I didn't think much of it to be honest."

6. Strange Fruit – Billie Holiday
The song that helped revolutionise America. One of the most moving and eloquent songs of all time, this song was the start of the Civil Rights movement. Covered numerous times, Billie's version remains the definitive, world-changing version.

7. Like A Rolling Stone – Bob Dylan
The sonic start of the counter-revolution. "Like A Rolling Stone changed it all," Dylan said in 1965. "I was something I myself could dig."

8. Walk This Way – Run DMC
The original rap/rock crossover video. Paving the way for the likes of Limp Bizkit, at the time Aerosmith didn't think it was going to be such a big deal. Aerosmith's Joe Perry said, :To think that we'd be talking about it 15 years later as ground-breaking - we didn't think of it like that at all."

9. Blue Monday – New Order
The seven minutes that kick-started UK dance music. While Britain was living under a pale shadow of punk rock this "bold statement," as The Charlatans Tim Burgess called it, came out of seemingly nowhere. "It was daring - it incorporated elements of disco, which no-one liked at the time," Burgess concludes. However, the single went on the be the biggest selling 12" single of all time.

10. Do They Know It’s Christmas? – Band Aid
Reinvented the charity single and fed the world. Not everyone's favourite song, it led Morrissey to say, "One can have concern for the people of Ethiopia, but it's another thing to inflict torture on the people of England."

11. Good Vibrations – The Beach Boys
12. Rock Around The Clock – Bill Haley & His Comets
13. Helter Skelter – The Beatles
14. The Message – Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
15. You Really Got Me – The Kinks
16. Autobahn – Kraftwerk
17. Stayin’ Alive – The Bee Gees
18. Telstar – The Tornados
19. Starman – David Bowie
20. Think – Aretha Franklin
21. Give Peace A Chance – Plastic Ono Band
22. Planet Rock – Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force
23. Wannabe – Spice Girls
24. Relax – Frankie Goes To Hollywood
25. Fuck Tha Police – NWA
26. Tomorrow Never Knows – The Beatles
27. Rock Island Line – Lonnie Donegan
28. My Generation – The Who
29. (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
30. Like A Virgin – Madonna
31. Imagine – John Lennon
32. Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
33. He’s A Rebel – The Crystals
34. (Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay – Otis Redding
35. Money (That’s What I Want) – Barrett Strong
36. I Feel Love – Donna Summer
37. My Name Is – Eminem
38. Smoke On The Water – Deep Purple
39. What’s Going On – Marvin Gaye
40. Me So Horny – 2 Live Crew
41. Maybellene – Chuck Berry
42. No Woman No Cry – Bob Marley & The Wailers
43. That’ll Be The Day – The Crickets
44. Going Underground – The Jam
45. Kick Out The Jams – The MC5
46. I Can’t Be Satisfied – Muddy Waters
47. Stairway To Heaven – Led Zeppelin
48. Strings Of Life – Rhythim Is Rhythim
49. Pump Up The Volume – M/A/R/R/S
50. Candle In The Wind – Elton John
51. Mr Tambourine Man – The Byrds
52. Rebel Without A Pause – Public Enemy
53. Heart Of Glass – Blondie
54. Cloud Nine – The Temptations
55. White Rabbit – Jefferson Airplane
56. Loaded – Primal Scream
57. Lover – Les Paul
58. Purple Haze – The Jimi Hendrix Experience
59. Thriller – Michael Jackson
60. Cop Killer – Body Count
61. Sympathy For The Devil – The Rolling Stones
62. Heroin – The Velvet Underground
63. I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor
64. Rocket 88 – Jackie Brenston & His Delta Cats
65. Say It Loud: I’m Black And I’m Proud – James Brown
66. Sweet Child O’Mine – Guns N’ Roses
67. Back To Life (However Do You Want Me) – Soul II Soul
68. Sign ‘O’ The Times – Prince
69. Girl You Know It’s True – Milli Vanilli
70. Nelson Mandela – The Special AKA
71. Interstellar Overdrive – Pink Floyd
72. What’d I Say – Ray Charles & His Orchestra
73. This Land Is Your Land – Woody Guthrie
74. Are "Friends" Electric? – Tubeway Army
75. Je T’Aime… Moi On Plus – Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin
76. This Charming Man – The Smiths
77. Comme D’Habitude – Claude Francois
78. Live Forever – Oasis
79. Merry Xmas Everybody – Slade
80. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me – Culture Club
81. Enter Sandman – Metallica
82. The End – The Doors
83. Apache – The Incredible Bongo Band
84. O Superman – Laurie Anderson
85. Music Sounds Better With You – Stardust
86. Waterloo – Abba
87. People Funny Boy – Lee "Scratch" Perry
88. Blind – Korn
89. Fools Gold – The Stone Roses
90. Last Train To Clarksville – The Monkees
91. Firestarter – The Prodigy
92. Rock Your Baby – George McCrae
93. The Blitzkrieg Bop – The Ramones
94. Black Sabbath – Black Sabbath
95. Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree - Dawn
96. There She Goes – The La’s
97. Rumble – Link Wray & His Ray Men
98. MacArthur Park – Richard Harris
99. Creep – Radiohead
100. Tutti Frutti – Little Richard
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Cheers for that Quicksilver, must have taken a while to write up.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

69. Girl You Know It’s True – Milli Vanilli
----
71. Interstellar Overdrive – Pink Floyd
:lol: :roll:
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

Why Interstellar Overdrive? Wouldnt you think that Another Brick part 2 would have been more life changing than that? Just because of its popularity and being banned in England and all....
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I can kind of understand its inclusion.

I think it's more groundbreaking than 'Brick 2', which is kind of a novelty song, in a way.

Bloody HELL, saying that's gonna get me into a lot of trouble.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Quicksilbver, i know you already put a lot in but could you please put in the caption that came with Intersteller Overdrive for anyone who can't get the magazine.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Poor old Syd Barrett. No-one else in rock history has ever been as lamented while still being alive. As a result, Barrett's musical legacy tends to be obscured by the myth and hearsay surrounding his mental breakdown in the late '60s. When he wasn't walking the thin line between genius and madness, Barrett was writing songs that melded a peculiarly English whimsy with hard rock dynamics and plangent folk-rock. Fronting Pink Floyd as they evolved from mid-'60s white blues journeymen to experimental rock band, Barrett, gobbling LSD like there was no tomorrow, forged an entirely novel songwriting millieu which has inspired everyone from Radiohead to Wyclef Jean.

The band's 1967 debut album, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, is a breathtaking example of English psychedelic rock; knocking Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (recorded at the same time) into a cocked space helmet with its litany of bicycles, astronomy, scarecrows and gnomes. At its heart lies Interstellar Overdrive: almost certainly the first example of "space rock", and a resplendently mind-bending nine minutes, 41 seconds of eerie organ, molten guitar and thundering drums. Throbbing with an energy honed on the strobe-lit stages of the band's frequent haunts, The Marquee and UFO Club, Interstellar Overdrive rocks in an otherworldly manner. Producer Norman Smith used every available trick at Abbey Road's state-of-the-art recording studio to evoke the sound of blasting off into the distant galaxies, while just down the hall George Martin might well have been conducting the colliery brass on When I'm Sixty-Four.

Interstellar Overdrive helped put paid to the three-minute song as rock's primary template: encouraging a new generation of artists for whom the recording studio would become Mission Control on unimaginable journeys, light years away from the strictures of verse-chorus-verse. This slice of vintage 1967 is still compelling.

David Sheppard.

[A tinted photo is captioned "Is it me or are we tripping our nuts off?"]
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Cheers, it's now available in the shops so i'm getting my own copy today, but i'm sure everyone else appreciates it.
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

I find that list to be not that bad at all compared to alot of other so called "top 100 songs of all time'' or whatever . Some songs that I was kinda surprised to see would be Cop Killer, Me So Horny, The Message, though I do enjoy listening to them. I'm glad to see that its not entirely composed of n stink, britney spears, j lo, backstreet boys, and all the rest of the crap that is so popular today. Its a nice mix of songs that mostly have some sort of real significance or impact as compared to just singles that sold millions of copies. There are a few exceptions in that list however.

POST EDITED BY MODERATOR - A bit taboo bong but funny!!