Roger Waters - In The Flesh (Live)

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
38%
29%
29%
No votes
1 - Worst
4%

Total votes: 45

AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Re: Roger Waters - In The Flesh (Live)

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

I gave this a 5 because I saw this concert twice....once in 1999 in New Jersey, and then again in NYC in 2000. Roger combined both his solo and Pink Floyd works and did a masterful job.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Live versions of Dogs and Set the Controls make this an easy 5
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

I can't comment as I haven’t heard it.
Zack
Knife
Knife

Post by Zack »

I get an icky Floyd-tribute-band-featuring-Roger-Waters feeling from this, especially during the Gilmour showcase songs. Though Doyle is a good guitarist (upside down strings reminiscent of blues great Albert King) there's just something wrong about his playing of Dave's parts.

I also thought him doing SOYCD Parts 1-8 was quite petty (we all know who's credited with Part 9). Roger is a cheap bastard, no question, to not play the whole song so someone else would get fewer royalties from the record. Especially if that someone he bullied relentlessly, humiliated, and chucked out of the band after 15 years, doing potentially serious harm to the brand (had he not tried to break up the band entirely).
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Zack wrote:Especially if that someone he bullied relentlessly, humiliated, and chucked out of the band after 15 years,
rumours, rumours.....
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Zack wrote:I also thought him doing SOYCD Parts 1-8 was quite petty (we all know who's credited with Part 9). Roger is a cheap bastard, no question, to not play the whole song so someone else would get fewer royalties from the record. Especially if that someone he bullied relentlessly, humiliated, and chucked out of the band after 15 years, doing potentially serious harm to the brand (had he not tried to break up the band entirely).
Rick is credited as a writer for the song so i couldn't imagine him getting any less royalties from it. Besides, part 9 wasn't even performed by Pink Floyd when they toured during 1987 and 1994. It's just the whole track is very long and that last part is perhaps expendible under a live setting as the main body of the song is already over. Plus this is a Roger Waters show so they kind of have to focus on the stuff Roger did in the song rather than have a big 25 minute epic full of other people. Also, he hardly bullied Rick by the sounds of it. I got the impression the reason he fired Rick is that he wasn't producing anything during The Wall and was being uncooperative about when he could go in to the studio so i'm not surprised he got fired.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

David Smith wrote:he wasn't producing anything during The Wall and was being uncooperative about when he could go in to the studio
If the stories I've heard are true and not just legends, Rick went to Greece for some sailing and refused to end his vacation when he was scheduled to record. People get fired for less every day.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

oldhippy wrote:I can't comment as I haven’t heard it.
But, you did just comment!!! Oink, oink!

I like the album! When it came out, I though, oh what crap DSoT and PULSE really were in comparison.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Really? Why did you think DSoT and PULSE were crap in comparision? For me all three performances were of the "standard professional musician" type, nothing really inspired but not bad either.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

danielcaux wrote: Why did you think DSoT and PULSE were crap in comparision?
Lack of sincerity?
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

danielcaux wrote:Really? Why did you think DSoT and PULSE were crap in comparision? For me all three performances were of the "standard professional musician" type, nothing really inspired but not bad either.
I guess it is the mix. Of course In the Flesh came out later than those two (Live in Gdansk sounds better than those two as well, to my ears). I think it sounds livelier - the female vocals are higher in the mix, etc...I think Waters always preferred a drier mix than Gilmour and liked things balanced slightly different. So, I feel a bit more energy in the performances on the ITF release. Just a personal thing I guess - not exactly crap though, that was how I felt when ITF came out...all three are a bit mediocre to me compared to most old roio's...in fact, when DSoT came out, it didn't even capture the sound of the concert I was at or some of the roio's of that tour...must be the recording and mix.
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

Got my fave version of Wish You Were Here on it...love Time on it...Mother is awesome on it. My fave live album by Floyd...I listen to it even more than the other live album...Is there Anybody Out There?
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

kitkat wrote:Got my fave version of Wish You Were Here on it...love Time on it...Mother is awesome on it. My fave live album by Floyd...I listen to it even more than the other live album...Is there Anybody Out There?
Roger Waters
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Yeah, it must hurt to hear the originals :lol:
thehumanzoo
Blade
Blade

Post by thehumanzoo »

The production on this is amazingly good and there are so many of the older tracks which sound really fresh. I'm not so keen on the versions of Wish You Were Here, Shine on You Crazy Diamond or the Dark Side of the Moon stuff, but Dogs, Welcome to the Machine, Set the Controls and all of the solo stuff towards the end sound divine.