Pink Floyd - Animals

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
63%
26%
6%
1%
1 - Worst
3%

Total votes: 167

Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Pink Floyd - Animals

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Pure prog-punk rock 8) 8) 8)
Zack
Knife
Knife

Post by Zack »

I give it 5 out of 5 but think the interludes in all three main songs go on too long. Dragging Dogs out to 17+ minutes was pointless except to fill the side.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

They should have included the White solo at the end of POTW2, that would have been a great way to end the album.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

IMO Animals i Pink Floyd best album. Balance between Rogers lyric and music on Animals album is totaly awesome.
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

Animals themselves create a lot of shit. In particularly pigs and cows. This is exactly what this album is SHIT. I couldn’t possible vote for this as Keith doesn’t provide a minus 100 button.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

:lol:
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

oldhippy wrote:Animals themselves create a lot of shit. In particularly pigs and cows. This is exactly what this album is SHIT. I couldn’t possible vote for this as Keith doesn’t provide a minus 100 button.
Is it really that different from Wish You Were Here?
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

Idisaffect wrote:
oldhippy wrote:Animals themselves create a lot of shit. In particularly pigs and cows. This is exactly what this album is SHIT. I couldn’t possible vote for this as Keith doesn’t provide a minus 100 button.
Yes. WYWH is pure class.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Idisaffect wrote:
I would say the album has a totally different atmosphere to Wish You Were Here so i'm not surprised some fans like one but really don't like the other. Personally i like both, though my preference is perhaps for the more relaxed and beauitful terrain of wish you were here rather than the more aggressive and raw sounds of Animals
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Discography - Pink Floyd - Animals discussion....

Post by Hogtown »

Stephen wrote:This is my least favourite of all the Floyd albums and the one that resulted in me losing interest in the bands further output until I decided to buy their albums on CD some 20 years later. Such was my lack of interest that I didn't know they had split up or released the albums Final Cut or Momentary Lapse of Reason...and that's all Animals fault! :lol: I've not one good thing to say about this album, it's a pile of shite from start to finish.
You know, I have met a lot of older fans who did not like this album when it came out and stopped paying attention after its release. If that did not stop them, then the Wall did...it must be the cynicism?

I like the album, because the guitar playing and drumming are so intense compared to what came before. It was at times my favorite album by them, but these days I have a hard time listening to those long songs - I think I've heard it too much and my attention span is shrinking...
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I've always liked the album. Great, intense, atmospheric stuff. Though I do find I have liked P3DO and Sheep a little less over the years than I used to. But Dogs is killer, definitely one of my very favourite Floyd tracks. I never get tired of it. I'll give this album a 4/5.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Not only has a totally different atmosphere to WYWH but also the few musical ideas the album has are stretched and repeated way to much over the course of one track, to achieve epic length status, which none of the songs really is. Dogs could perfectly have been a 10 minute STCFTHOTS-like medium-length song and the rest could have been edited under the 7 minute mark without loosing ANY musical theme, melody or solo. I can see why many DSOTM/WYWH fans were disapointed by this album. I love it though.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

danielcaux wrote:Dogs could perfectly have been a 10 minute STCFTHOTS-like medium-length song.
I am happy with it as is on the album, but I think that the three man floyd or roger could perform an edited version live to add a little variety at gigs.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

this album is so underrated its not even funny. We can still relate to those songs today I think. It really speaks how life is now in the States with our money problem.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

It's a superb album: great lyrics, great tunes. Gilmour's guitar Rocks, Roger's voice haunts, Nick's drumming varied and Rick's improvisations make agreat atmosphere.

Best Performance: 1977-05-09 M-RtR

title: -
disc/s: 2
release: -
date/venue: 1977 May 09 - Oakland Coliseum, California
source: audience / Sony ECM-280mics>Sony 158 cassette deck>TC-158 Cass[M]>Reel>CDR[?]
tot length: 136:08
overall: SUP-
CD1
01. Sheep [11:15]
02. Pigs On The Wing Part 1 [2:14]
03. Dogs [18:46]
04. Pigs On The Wing Part 2 [2:22]
05. Pigs (Three Different Ones) [17:29]
06. Us & Them [7:34]
07. Careful With That Axe Eugene [9:49]
CD2
01. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)  [14:30]