Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
17%
50%
25%
6%
1 - Worst
2%

Total votes: 112

Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds

Post by Sonic Destruction »

J Ed wrote:I would guess the opposite is also true
Childhoods End has a similar energy and groove to the studio version of Time
but we can hear from 1972 shows, eg Best of Tour 72, that originally Time was a very sleepy number, sounding something like Space Oddity
so I think they decided to make Time sound a little more like Daves new song, which may also be why Childhoods End disappeared from the setlist so fast
That could well be true. Either way, both Dave's song and "Time" are awesome, and ended up sounding quite different from each other (to my ears). Perhaps any similarities can be put down to "conceptual continuity"?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

J Ed wrote:Childhoods End has a similar energy and groove to the studio version of Time but we can hear from 1972 shows, eg Best of Tour 72, that originally Time was a very sleepy number, sounding something like Space Oddity so I think they decided to make Time sound a little more like Daves new song, which may also be why Childhoods End disappeared from the setlist so fast
Interesting notion, perhaps some bootleg expert could check when was the first time that the "high register/up beat version" of Time was played live and see if that pre-dates or not the recording of Childhood's End (supposely all the tracks from OBC were composed and recorded over the same two week time lapse, right?).
rogerlancelot
Embryo
Embryo

Post by rogerlancelot »

One of my favorite Floyd albums and one of the few that I enjoy listening to all of the way through. "Stay" is an underrated gem and I love Rick's playing throughout (especially on "Mudmen"!).
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

This is the only Floyd album I bother to play these days. I've always liked it.
MrMustard
Axe
Axe

Post by MrMustard »

oldhippy wrote:This is the only Floyd album I bother to play these days. I've always liked it.
HUH?
MrMustard
Axe
Axe

Post by MrMustard »

I like it apart from Free four which is really shit. I gave it a 3
Now someones mentioned it C.End and Time do seem to have a similar rythmic structure. No one mentioned earlier that C.End is based on an A.C.Clarke novel of the same title.
What's strikes me about it is how conventional it is. The songs with lyrics in them could be on Wings albums or something, and I say that as a compliment to Wings and the Floyd.
What's uh, the deal is a great name for a song. IMO.
I think it's generally better than More although More has got a few songs on it like a lot more than any on this one.
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

I'd say it is a better album than More, if we are comparing soundracks.

Obscured by Clouds/When you're in- never thought so much of this song until i heard a live version supposedly from Chicago in 1973? they turn it into an extended jam a la Echoes. very good
Burning bridges sounds eeriliy similar to Mudmen except with lyrics.
The gold it's in the... is kinda weak and cheesy, especially David's vocals.
Wots...Uh the deal is a great song IMO. beautiful piano work by Rick.
Mudmen is my absolute favorite on this album. Probably their last great ambient piece before DSTOTM
Childhood's End is the best song by David. hands down. Once again the best version is a live one done supposedly in Cincinnatti 1973.
Free Four was one of the first Pink Floyd songs I ever heard and even then I thought it was cheesy.
Stay. It's ok. The lyrics are cheesy
Absolutley curtains is a strong closer to an overall great album
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

The Pink Floyd discography, according to most people - ..."Atom Heart Mother", "Meddle", "Dark Side", "Wish You Were Here"... Most people ignore this poor little album sandwiched in the middle of all the classics!

"Free Four" probably wasn't the best choice for a single, as Roger gets a bit dark there... "The Gold It's In The" (stupid title) and "Childhood's End" should've become rock radio classics. Though, I will admit, "Childhood's End" does sound exactly like "Time", even down to Nick's rototoms.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Great Cover...."Mudmen" is great as is "Free Four" & my personal fave "Childhood's End". Seems back in the day, EVERYONE contributed until Waters started his Coup.
LarsO
Axe
Axe

Post by LarsO »

Has anyone seen the "normal" still from the film used for the album cover? Might take away some of the magic but it would still be interesting to see.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Keith Jordan wrote:This thread is to discuss Pink Floyd's Obscured By Clouds and is linked to from the Pink Floyd Discography section.

Feel free to discuss the album!

01. Obscured By Clouds
02. When You're In
03. Burning Bridges
04. Gold It's In The...
05. Wot's... Uh The Deal
06. Mudmen
07. Childhood's End
08. Free Four
09. Stay
10. Absolutely Curtains
I've given it 3. There's some very good songs on it but it's also a bit bland and pefunctory. It's extraordinary that they were this uninspired just before they created their masterpeice.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I think Gilmour's solo on Childhood's End is much better than any solo on TDSOTM.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

my breakfast. wrote:I think Gilmour's solo on Childhood's End is much better than any solo on TDSOTM.
Better than solo on Time?
Floydian
Axe
Axe

Post by Floydian »

I'd give it a 3.5, which is good considering it's a soundtrack. I think this might be their release that wears off the fastest.

"Wot's...uh the Deal" and "Childhood's End" are 2 of my favorite PF songs overall though.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

my breakfast. wrote:I think Gilmour's solo on Childhood's End is much better than any solo on TDSOTM.

mmh!