Roger Waters - In The Flesh (Live)

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
38%
29%
29%
No votes
1 - Worst
4%

Total votes: 45

Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Roger Waters - In The Flesh (Live)

Post by Yucateco »

thehumanzoo wrote:The production on this is amazingly good and there are so many of the older tracks which sound really fresh. I'm not so keen on the versions of Wish You Were Here, Shine on You Crazy Diamond or the Dark Side of the Moon stuff, but Dogs, Welcome to the Machine, Set the Controls and all of the solo stuff towards the end sound divine.
i think the production is quite bad, the sound is not really good in my opinion. The DVD version is completely different, incredible sound there!
thehumanzoo
Blade
Blade

Post by thehumanzoo »

Yucateco wrote:
thehumanzoo wrote:The production on this is amazingly good and there are so many of the older tracks which sound really fresh. I'm not so keen on the versions of Wish You Were Here, Shine on You Crazy Diamond or the Dark Side of the Moon stuff, but Dogs, Welcome to the Machine, Set the Controls and all of the solo stuff towards the end sound divine.
i think the production is quite bad, the sound is not really good in my opinion. The DVD version is completely different, incredible sound there!
Sorry, it was actually the DVD I was referring to. Never heard the CD version - I had just assumed that they would have been the same versions with similar mixes?
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

One thing always baffles me: Att the end of Whish You Where Here song on "In The Flesh" CD Roger said " Thank You. I wish they were here.
Who?! What he mean? He wishes David, Rick and Nick were with him there, or? :?

What you think?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I assumed its because a lot of the audience may have been thinking of loved ones dead or distant during the track, and that was Roger's way of directly addressing the audience by making a wish that all of the people being thought of could be there.
MattAShine
Axe
Axe

Post by MattAShine »

That may be partially because I had the fortune of seeing the show in 99 (Boston) and 00 (Providence). I love both the audio version and the CD version (which, unlike PULSE, thankfully are mostly the same). I love that the DVD was done in as high-def as possible for 2000, unlike the PULSE camcorder. Unlike other concert DVD's, it comes as close to capturing what a live show "feels" like, rather than being apart from it, like PULSE or Delicate Sound.

I know some have conniptions regarding Waters doing the vocals for Wish You Were Here, Time and such. Personally, I rather liked Time as being sung by Waters. It was... different. I like difference now and again. The critics on Waters singing Shine On kind of surprise me as he sang it on the original album, but I suppose 2 tours spanning 3 years of hearing Gilmour sing it must have made an impact (like Waters being the preferred singer for Welcome to the Machine when Gilmour did it on the album and in some of the 87-89 shows).

I have to respect Waters desire to sing Wish You Were Here. That seems to be the song he has the most pride in. If any of us wrote that, would we give up the reins? Hell no, and neither does he. He'll give up Money, he'll give up the chorus in Mother and Comf Numb, but not WYWH. I actually have a recording of Waters doing the full Mother/CN lyrics... we are blessed by his decision to have somebody else sing it.

Really, ITF would be worth 5 stars for Dogs and the ATD songs alone. Kind of wish he had the 99 remix of Powers That Be as a special feature, along with the 99 What God Wants, but oh well.

I'm glad that Roger gave us what he did, considering that thus far he shorted us on the KAOS live tapes and video.

Production wise, I like it far better than DSOT and PULSE. Performance wise, it's a toss up and depends on the song. Money? PULSE. Comfortably Numb? Delicate Sound or PULSE. Brain Damage/Eclipse? Waters, by a country fu*king mile!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

MattAShine wrote:I actually have a recording of Waters doing the full Mother/CN lyrics... we are blessed by his decision to have somebody else sing it
That the Berlin Wall rehearsals? I've wanted to hear those for years, you lucky sod :)
MattAShine
Axe
Axe

Post by MattAShine »

David Smith wrote: That the Berlin Wall rehearsals? I've wanted to hear those for years, you lucky sod :)
Worth it if only hear Waters doing the full WSWDN and a studio verison of Last Few Bricks. You can also hear the cowbell nice and prominent in Young Lust.

And lets be honest here

Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

And despite The Wall Live, who would have thought they'd come back to this album after all those years.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

LarsO wrote: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:30 pmI think the live stuff is the most interesting here,..
What this mean ?? Isn't a whole 'Roger Waters - In The Flesh' live?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Good feature on the album and Roger's return to live playing at the turn of the millennium.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-w ... lesh-live/
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Carin and Bramhall are too whiny for me to listen to them sing lead, and even on this album, Roger used the studio vocal track from "Every Stranger's Eyes". The version of "Set the Controls" from Chicago in 1984, with Clapton on guitar and Mel Collins on sax, is much better than the one here. So the only thing of interest, for me, is "Each Small Candle" - but then to look back and see he hasn't done anything with it for 20 years and counting, just adds to the disappointment I felt at his show in 1999.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

His best live release the mix is superior too The Wall & Us & Them Dogs is better musically and vocals by Jon Carin who should of sung again on his last tour. Doyle's guitar playing is better then and more raw and loose