Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
27%
26%
20%
12%
1 - Worst
16%

Total votes: 141

Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Post by Idisaffect »

J Ed wrote:I remember Your Possible Pasts being the first thing I heard from it

Wow!

Rock Radio wouldn't have touched that if not for the success of The Wall.
MeanMrKetchup
Axe
Axe

Post by MeanMrKetchup »

I've always like The Final Cut. In some ways, it cuts deeper than the Wall, emotionally anyway. In spite of what some say there are some very singable songs on this album, for the people who want to take the effort and are interested enough to listen to this more than a casual fan would. Then again, a casual fan isn't likely to listen to anything from this album.

I personally love it, ok it's pretty much a Roger album, but it's fantastic. The opening track cuts deep and leaves the mind raring to go for some more, Your Possible Pasts isn't my favorite but a nice track nonetheless. On Of The Few gives a nod to the teacher from The Wall and is pure atmosphere which also aids the flow of the album. Then follows the heartfelt When The Tigers Broke Free; perfectly arranged and filled with emotion, it builds to an amazing climax. Then comes The Heroes Return, more upbeat, and the album sort of needs it, but it isn't one of the best tracks. The Gunner's Dream follows, probably my favorite on the album, it's sheer emotion and beauty is almost unmeasured on anything else I've heard, not just Pink Floyd either. The sax solo is gorgeous. Paranoid Eyes ends the first side and is again heartfelt and well done.

Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert is short and nothing special, but I generally like the fact that it's on the album, just like I've always actually been fond of Vera and Bring The Boys Back Home, and Stop on The Wall, even if they are completely irrelevant, they aid the flow and atmosphere, also like One Of The Few. The Fletcher Memorial Home is lyrically cheeky and intriguing, the guitar solo is perfect. Southampton Dock follows, again quite short but it always gives me the same image of a woman standing in the rain at Southampton Dock as her son/s float away. The Final Cut is beautiful, the orchestration it needs, adding atmosphere a la Comfortably Numb, and is again filled with emotion. Not Now John is probably my least favorite full length song on the album, a rock song which, granted the album needed, but it doesn't work for me. The closing track is beautiful, that's all I can say.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I love this album. Roger really put his heart and soul into this album. The song The Final Cut is my favorite song in this album. I love the so much I cry sometimes when I play it.
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

The only thing I can say about this album is.........

FFFUCK ALL THAT, WE'VE GOTTA GET ON WITH THESE!

I can't believe all the hatred for "Not Now John"! Come on, that is truly a Floyd song that deserves to be CRANKED! I love the rest of the album too... yes, I know it's not rock music; yes, I know it's not technically Pink Floyd... but there are several really great songs. "The Gunner's Dream" has Roger's greatest lyrics, "The Final Cut" is a nice counterpart to "Comfortably Numb" (which actually segued into it on 'The Final Cut In The Wall' fan-mix), "Get Your Filthy Hands..." is short and sweet and has a nice stereo explosion...

Overall, an album not deserving of all the abuse it's gotten.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Upon first listen I hated it .... over time it has grown to be one of my favourite Floyd albums ...
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

TheLazenby wrote:The only thing I can say about this album is.........

FFFUCK ALL THAT, WE'VE GOTTA GET ON WITH THESE!

I can't believe all the hatred for "Not Now John"! Come on, that is truly a Floyd song that deserves to be CRANKED! I love the rest of the album too... yes, I know it's not rock music; yes, I know it's not technically Pink Floyd... but there are several really great songs. "The Gunner's Dream" has Roger's greatest lyrics, "The Final Cut" is a nice counterpart to "Comfortably Numb" (which actually segued into it on 'The Final Cut In The Wall' fan-mix), "Get Your Filthy Hands..." is short and sweet and has a nice stereo explosion...

Overall, an album not deserving of all the abuse it's gotten.
Same here. except last time I checked it was rock-music.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

I love The Final Cut! I believe it was the second or third album of PF I owned. The first was MLOR and then I can't remember if Relics or TFC followed. Talk about your strange succession of albums, eh? :lol: I was immediately drawn to "The Gunners Dream" and "Two Suns In The Sunset", though I feel the demo for "Two Suns.." is a lot better than it's finished product. I think the extra groaning Roger put into the demo makes it more poignant, along with the phlanger Gilmour uses and then ending the song with the line "We were all equal in the end" twice, the first time ending it with an A chord and the second time ending it with a D chord. If you haven't heard the demo version, find it!

The only complaint I have with the album is that it's way too quiet in some spots before getting outrageously loud again. My father used to have us weed the garden twice a week for an hour and I would put my speakers out the window and turn something on. I remember playing TFC and when that bomb exploded, we all hit the ground, trying to shelter ourselves with shovels, rakes, and corn stalks! :lol:
The Black Strat
Embryo
Embryo

Post by The Black Strat »

an albumful of protests
Roger(Yes Roger!not the band!)objects to England in this album somehow,he reproaches England's part in world war 2 a bit but mostly concentrates on the consequences of the war.young men dead,economy destroyed,depression in the society....and many things.he says the effects of war has lasted till now,and england has become humiliated.he also reproaches the leaders of the whole world.
Oh,I Forgot!His Wife!He likes composing ballads for his life and the betrayals.....:D
Like Always his lyrics penetrate into ur spirit.i was shocked when i first listened to Final Cut.His Yearns were Awesome!

but the album didn't have many solos,and for the lack of rick it wasn't basically composed.rick was always the base!!! <ii>
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

I remember when I bought the album, I couldn't wait to get it home and drop the needle. With the exception of parts of 2 or 3 songs, The Gunner's Dream, Two Suns at Sunset, and the title track. I felt letdown and ripped off. I still have it I don't think it's ever been played all the way through but that 1st time, just listened to those few songs that didn't make me cringe. It just wasn't a group effort, 1 for me...
Faint
Blade
Blade

Post by Faint »

As Gunners Dream said, that it Isn't Pink Floyd's best album and it's not the most musically balanced album, BUT I love it... Beautiful lyrics, singing and music all the way through. A truly emotional work of genius. I don't see how anyone can not be affected by the likes of songs like "The Gunner's Dream" and "Paranoyd Eyes". Even "When the Tigers Broke Free" is a very good song.

4/5
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

Faint wrote: "When the Tiggers Broke Free" is a very good song
Sounds like Pooh to me...
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

ddebil wrote:
Faint wrote: "When the Tiggers Broke Free" is a very good song
Sounds like Pooh to me...
Eeyore to know better.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

Faint
Blade
Blade

Post by Faint »

I really can't imagine how i typed two G's :DD sozz
Last edited by Faint on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

Acceleration?