Pink Floyd - Animals

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
63%
26%
6%
1%
1 - Worst
3%

Total votes: 167

danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd - Animals

Post by danielcaux »

Hogtown wrote:but I think that the three man floyd or roger could perform an edited version live to add a little variety at gigs.
You mean the two men Floyd, right? :cry:
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

Animals definitely reigns supreme as possibly my favorite Floyd album, ever. Many reasons...

* I LOVE the 8-track version of "Pigs On The Wing". Yes, the 8-track version specifically - not even the overdubbed Snowy White CD version. This version warrants some definite air-acoustic-guitar, every time.
* "Sheep" manages to be the second Pink Floyd song that they wedge a Doctor Who-y riff into (live versions even more so)... love the bass, and the weird robotic Bible verse.
* Yes, "Dogs" is long, but the middle bit sticks in your head! DRAAAAAAAGGED DOWWWWWN BY THE STONE! (Stone! Stone! Stone! Stone! etcetera...)
* "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" is the reigning king of cowbell songs in my book, hell with "Don't Fear The Reaper"! It's fun to sing along, as well; possibly more so than with any other Floyd song, thanks to the great way Roger spits out the lyrics. "You... FUCKED... UP... OLD... ha-aaag!" Great organ riff as well.

Though I wasn't old enough to see Floyd live, I did have the privilege of seeing Aussie Floyd do "Pigs", complete with a massive inflatable swine. Complete awesomeness. My parents didn't understand it. :-P
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

TheLazenby wrote:Animals definitely reigns supreme as possibly my favorite Floyd album, ever. Many reasons...

* I LOVE the 8-track version of "Pigs On The Wing". Yes, the 8-track version specifically - not even the overdubbed Snowy White CD version. This version warrants some definite air-acoustic-guitar, every time.
* "Sheep" manages to be the second Pink Floyd song that they wedge a Doctor Who-y riff into (live versions even more so)... love the bass, and the weird robotic Bible verse.
* Yes, "Dogs" is long, but the middle bit sticks in your head! DRAAAAAAAGGED DOWWWWWN BY THE STONE! (Stone! Stone! Stone! Stone! etcetera...)
* "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" is the reigning king of cowbell songs in my book, hell with "Don't Fear The Reaper"! It's fun to sing along, as well; possibly more so than with any other Floyd song, thanks to the great way Roger spits out the lyrics. "You... FUCKED... UP... OLD... ha-aaag!" Great organ riff as well.

Though I wasn't old enough to see Floyd live, I did have the privilege of seeing Aussie Floyd do "Pigs", complete with a massive inflatable swine. Complete awesomeness. My parents didn't understand it. :-P
Try some very nice bootlegs of the 1977 Tour. Animals and WYWH really rule on there !!!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

TheLazenby wrote: * I LOVE the 8-track version of "Pigs On The Wing". Yes, the 8-track version specifically - not even the overdubbed Snowy White CD version. This version warrants some definite air-acoustic-guitar, every time.
Overdubbed?

Snowy White played it on the 8-track version, dude. :D
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

:smt033 Yeah, I see what you mean brother.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

mosespa wrote:
TheLazenby wrote: * I LOVE the 8-track version of "Pigs On The Wing". Yes, the 8-track version specifically - not even the overdubbed Snowy White CD version. This version warrants some definite air-acoustic-guitar, every time.
Overdubbed?

Snowy White played it on the 8-track version, dude. :D
I guess he was refering to the remixed Goldtop version, which indeed sounds quite unnatural compared to the original 8 track.
malley
Embryo
Embryo

Post by malley »

Absolutely brilliant album, it takes some listening too, to get into it, but once you start to enjoy it, you'll appreciate that it's a work of art from beginning to end!
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

This is my favorite album of PF! Or is it Meddle? Hmmmmm, I'll get back to you guys. :lol: In the meantime, I'll give this a 5/5!
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

It rules. It frickin rules.

How come when The Genius is talking about his best work he always lists DSOTM and The Wall and ATD...and sometimes he lists WYWH but dude never mentions this genius frickin album.

I read once where he said they made Animals purely for greedy reasons...to make smack. What the hell dude? The album freaking rules!!!

How come nobody asks questions like this when interviewing The Genius??? They always ask dumb political questions or boring crap. I could interview The Genius and ask him a lot of very interesting questions and he would be very impressed and then he would probably hate me when he got to the point where he could tell my political/religious persuasion. I might even have to kick his ass.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

kitkat wrote: How come when The Genius is talking about his best work he always lists DSOTM and The Wall and ATD...and sometimes he lists WYWH but dude never mentions this genius frickin album.
If I'd made an album that was that bad I wouldn't want to talk about it either.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Stephen wrote:
kitkat wrote:
If I'd made an album that was that bad I wouldn't want to talk about it either.
What's wrong with Animals Stephen? Why is it so bad album in your opinion?
I'm just curious! Btw, Animals is my favourite Pink Floyd album, too.

/jtull
malusienka
Knife
Knife

Post by malusienka »

I don't know what to think about this album. At the beggining I didn't like it, I didn't know why so many people think it one of the best albums. The only song which was listenable was "Pigs on the wing" which I still like.
Now I like this album more than I used to, but it's still not my favourit one.
Pigs (Three Different Ones) are very good, I like the way Waters sings "Charade you are".

Oh, and I love this pig on the cover and Battersea Station!

So, IMO all of pigs are the best of Animals :D
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

When I was dj-ing at the strip club, there was this one young, black dancer who heard me playing P(3DO) for another dancer and was soon asking me to play "charade you are," only she couldn't make out the lyrics, so she was actually asking for "charadula," LOL.

But...she danced to it pretty much every evening that she worked after that. :D
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Now, I'm not too experienced with the Strip Club scene, but do you pay a stripper a certain amount per minute or per song or what for a lap dance? Cause if it's per song, I can't see how you'd go wrong with a long, long PF song! :lol:
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

jtull wrote: What's wrong with Animals Stephen? Why is it so bad album in your opinion?
I'm just curious! Btw, Animals is my favourite Pink Floyd album, too.

/jtull
I've never liked the album from when I bought it on the day it was released and I've checked recently to see whether my opinion has changed. I can appreciate that bands move on and try different directions but this particular shift wasn't what I wanted from Floyd after being disappointed with Wish You Were Here two years earlier. I'm not going to analyse in detail all the things I dislike about it because a) I can't and b) I don't see the point of over-analysing music anyway as, much like comedy, it takes the enjoyment (or otherwise) away from it, you either like something or you don't.

I seem to remember a quote by Frank Zappa about musical analysis and I can't remember what it was now...or even if it was him to be honest :lol: