Roger Waters - Amused To Death

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
50%
26%
14%
4%
1 - Worst
5%

Total votes: 113

J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: Roger Waters - Amused To Death

Post by J Ed »

I really like the Marv Albert bit, classic Waters theatre, but I wont try to defend it: either you like that sort of stuff or you dont
what about "omigawd what a beautiful room" and "I have a collect call for Mrs Floyd from Mr Floyd"? again, it was those elements on The Wall that got me listening to the Floyd in the first place, so obviously I like it
Zack wrote:"give any one species too much rope and they'll fuck it up." What, the rope? (This stolen from Q magazine). What species besides us ever had any "rope" anyway? (Original thought).
a whole area of ecology there: all species influnce their environment to some degree, by excreting waste and often by modifying their surroundings to create more advantageous conditions
humans just do it more than any other
think about beavers and their dams, the whole northern Ontario landscape has been rebuilt by those furry critters
E O Wilson claims there are species of ants that practice agriculture, by farming fungi within their nests and "domesticating" other smaller weaker species of ants
and animals in the wild dont know any restraint, they just keep consuming until their food source is exhausted
a classic ecological model tracks the populations of predators and prey: as the predator population peaks, the prey population crashes, causes the predator population to crash also, allowing the prey a chance to recover, ad infinitum
we now figure, very early in the history of life on earth, early microorganisms in the ocean expelling 02 caused the whole atmosphere to change composition, making conditions unsuitable for the critters that lived before and creating the basic climate for all that came after
humans have more "rope" mostly because of their big brains, and thus have altered the climate across more of the planet than any other critter, but also because of their big brains can make choices regarding their future, which dumber animals cannot do
I think Roger is playing with these ideas amongst others on his album: humanity as a species that is bound by the rules of ecology but has the brains to make a choice should it choose
romdos
Embryo
Embryo

Post by romdos »

My favorite album by Roger, I gave it a 4. The one post Floyd album he did that I liked... I felt it had some of the feel of The Final Cut...
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

romdos wrote:My favorite album by Roger, I gave it a 4. The one post Floyd album he did that I liked... I felt it had some of the feel of The Final Cut...
The latter was much more present on Pros&Cons, I believe :)
Zack
Knife
Knife

Post by Zack »

I pulled this CD out again after this discussion. I still find the album maudlin, sanctimonious and quite simply the most un-fun listen of just about anything in my collection.
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

I don't own it, truly wish I did. A friend of mine has it and I've listened to it many times. The last 3 or 4 songs on it a very good I think. Jeff Beck (if I'm not mistaken), does some class guitar work, at times it seems as if he is tipping his hat to David Gilmour.
I have to give it 3 though.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Without any doubt by far best Rogers solo album
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

Although I bought this CD when it was first released, I listened to it only once or twice, and then sort of forgot about it. Many years later, when Roger toured with his In The Flesh concert, I again listened to it. I felt I needed to be familiar with the music before seeing the concert. All I could say when I REALLY listened to it again was WOW. Could not believe I let so many years go by without enjoying this music. Best song for me on this CD is It's A Miracle.
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

Best solo album from the genius.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I think its one of Rogers best. Not a lot has changed since this album came out. We still are having wars and stuff.
malusienka
Knife
Knife

Post by malusienka »

I've never used to like this album. I tried to listen to it for few times, but it didn't appealed to me. It was like - OK, the CD has just ended, so now I can listen to some better songs.
But right now I'm listening to it and I have strange feellings - I like it! I don't know why, maybe it's beacause I have a full translation of the lyrics to my language so I can understand everything, not just wonder what he really said.
It's still not my favourit album, but now I find it quite good one.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

It's one of those albums that gets better the more you listen to it.

Like TFC. :D
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

I like the stuff off Roger's solo albums that he plays on In The Flesh, but for some reason I've never been able to get into PACOHH and ATD, though I own both albums. My favorite solo effort of his is Radio KAOS, a better balance, I feel, of music and lyrics then the other two.

I will give ATD one more listen. Seems it is suprising alot of people on repeated listens. The question, then, is why doesn't it hold your attention the first time? I will agree with Sean that TFC gets better with age, but it was still an instant enjoyment to my ears, where ATD bore me to tears.
thehumanzoo
Blade
Blade

Post by thehumanzoo »

I completely agree about the Final Cut needing a few listens before realising how good it actually is.

Amused to Death on the other hand just seemed to take me away the first time I heard it. I found there to be a heck of a lot of emotion in that record and it just seemed to transfix me for a while after I first listened.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

The Final Cut was definitely a grower, but i feel the total opposite about Amused to Death
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

You consider it a shrinker? :lol: