David Gilmour vocals and guitar on A Time Comes documentary

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

David Gilmour vocals and guitar on A Time Comes documentary

Post by Keith Jordan »

Neptune Pink Floyd News Article

David Gilmour has contributed his guitar and backing vocals to a song featured in a new documentary from Greenpeace called A Time Comes.

Nick Laird-Clowes composed the music for the documentary and after seeing the film for the first time wrote the song "Mayday", which he describes as "a meditation on legitimate street protest in the light of the recent G20 and Climate Camp crackdowns".

The music was recorded over the May bank holiday this year and contains vocal and guitar contributions from David Gilmour.

>>> Download Mayday <<< (MP3 4.6MB)

Right-click on the link above and select "Save Target as..." to save to your computer.

A Theme of Support

As you likely know, David has also contributed his skills to a song called Chicago in support of Gary McKinnon who faces being sent to the USA to face trial for hacking into their department of Defence's computer system, apparently looking for aliens! You can download the work in progress on this page. Feel free to sign the online petition to support Gary's case.

David has also recently done a guest appearance for charity Crisis to help the homeless. He played guitar for Amadou & Mariam. You can watch that here.

Make sure you are subscribed to the NPF Newsletter to get news on the Chicago track being released.

About The Documentary - Watch Online for Free

Watch Documentary on Guardian Website

The Kingsnorth Six made history last year: accused of causing £30,000 of criminal damage to Kingsnorth power station, their defence of "lawful excuse"was accepted by the jury - because they were acting to safeguard property around the world "in immediate need of protection" from the impacts of climate change, caused in part by burning coal.

Inspired by their story internationally acclaimed director, Nick Broomfield has just completed a 20 minute film celebrating the spirit of direct action. The film tells the story activists who scaled the 220m chimney at a coal fired power station and the landmark case with supporting testimony by the world's leading climate scientist, Dr James Hansen of NASA.

After hearing all of the evidence, the jurors (representatives of ordinary British people) supported the right to take direct action to protect the climate from the burning of coal. The New York Times listed the defence as one of the ideas that defined 2008.

Nick Broomfield brought together a first class team including, editor Ian Davies and co-producer Michelle Thomas. Drawn to the material and the prospect of working with Broomfield, everyone on the picture gave their time for free and was happy to do so.

Nick Broomfield said: "Obviously offering your services for a film is not exactly direct action but it's doing something that is long overdue. People need to feel that they need to be involved themselves directly rather than relying on other people to do it for them. I suppose this was my own little step in that direction."

The Bright Green Pictures film 'A Time Comes – The story of the Kingsnorth Six' directed by Nick Broomfield will premiered online today on the Observer site and will be available in HD June 1st on the Greenpeace website.

Source - [Greenpeace, Guardian, Observer]
omnicron
Knife
Knife
Location: Chasing after falling stars and forever "On the Run"

Re: David Gilmour vocals and guitar on A Time Comes documentary

Post by omnicron »

I like it! Very hippy sounding.
Well worth the DL.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Mr. Laird-Clowes is one of the few people that I never minded Gilmour collaborating with on Pink Floyd stuff.

The reason being, although I've only ever heard one song by The Dream Academy, that song (being, of course, "Life In A Northern Town,") was one of the most Floydian things I'd ever heard on mainstream radio.

I'll have to check this out sometime.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

mosespa wrote: The reason being, although I've only ever heard one song by The Dream Academy, that song (being, of course, "Life In A Northern Town,") was one of the most Floydian things I'd ever heard on mainstream radio.
On first reading, that sounds an absurd statement. However, I've just been listening to various versions of that and you're right. 8)
for a change
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

mosespa wrote:The Dream Academy, "Life In A Northern Town"
Bought that when it came out, because it became clear PF were over, and anything with one of their moombers involved made me part with my $$$, which went further back then, all I have seen is the cost of living rise for everybody since the mid-1980s, but not the income...life in a fucking northern town indeed...
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Song's not bad actually - I just need to trim that Guardian ad off the start of it.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I haven't listened to this one yet but I really didn't like The Dream Academy very much at all from the two albums I've heard, namely their self titled one and Remembrance. They remind me of another of those 80's bands that a friend once told me made the 'best album ever', namely The Blue Nile. (I think that was them anyway). :?
Dave_Ubidia
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dave_Ubidia »

Great! Gilmour!

Thanks! [-D-]
jude111
Axe
Axe

Post by jude111 »

Oh, if that's the only song you know by the Dream Academy, you will be in for a *real* treat when you download the song "It'll Never Happen Again." Gilmour plays guitar on this song and sings back-up, and he produced the album from which it came ("A Different Kind of Weather," 1991). The original song was written by Tim Hardin (I recommend finding that one as well). "Life in a Northern Town" was of course a tribute to Nick Drake, and Hardin's music was often in a similar vein.

Check out "It'll Never Happen Again"! :-)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

snifferdog wrote:Song's not bad actually - I just need to trim that Guardian ad off the start of it.
The download at the top of the page doesnt have the Guardian advertising on it. :-;
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

Greenpeace... *sigh* sometimes you just have to overlook some of The Gilmour's decisions/political views for the sake of his music... :-;

I still luv ya, G....
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

...I dont see anything wrong with the Greepeace movement.
On the contrary...
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Nice, very hippy (a bit TOO hippy at times, and some clichey'ed lyrics, though) :)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

It fits the documentary (I watched it).
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

snifferdog wrote:It fits the documentary (I watched it).
It does :)