Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
54%
27%
11%
6%
1 - Worst
2%

Total votes: 105

ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Post by ddebil »

That may be true, but would they know?

wibble
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I know I have an illness of the brain. Most people when they find out from a doctor know they have a mental illness.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

How do they know it's a doctor, not a metallurgist?
More Floyd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by More Floyd »

I gave it a 4. As a debut album, and an album for its time, it is great. The last few songs keep the album from being a 5 for me, and a 3 makes me think the album is average, and this album is way better then average, so a 4 it is.

Favorite song- Astronomy Domine
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

I don't like this album, because all the Syd-ness irritates me, but "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn: The Trance Remixes" is pretty cool.

I have that in my Mac now... Interstellar Overdrive with a dance beat! :-)
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

Thing about Piper is that it is an important historical album but it doesnt hold up...in other words, it didnt "age" well. Whereas DSOTM thru TFC doesnt "age" at all...despite the Falkland war reference.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

TFC doesnt age because musically it was never a good album. Something that was terrible in the first place will be terrible forever. And if we're talking about the lyrics becoming dated there really arent any that do from piper.
CatherineMa14
Hammer
Hammer

Post by CatherineMa14 »

princessDungan74D wrote:I meant with a mental illness. I said I was sick when they found out I was mental ill. I think the term "gone mad" is rude to those that suffer mental illness.
Not meaning to go completely off topic here, but I think that people say that to defend themselves. Nobody wants to deal with the fact that a mental illness can definately be as severe as a physical one, so they cram mental illness into a "madness" box. Syd was sick probably all his life, and this inevitably influenced his music, but I agree with you. It is a real shame that he suffered as he did. :(. Oh and I gave PATGOD a 5. I love the album. It is so childlike juxtaposed with maturity. [-D-]
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Duckboy wrote:TFC doesnt age because musically it was never a good album. Something that was terrible in the first place will be terrible forever. And if we're talking about the lyrics becoming dated there really arent any that do from piper.
Disagree entirely with this. The reason one album has dated worse than the other is that Piper uses a lot more the cliches from it's period and just sounds like an album that could only have come out of the sixties in much the same way SGT. Peppers does. It doesn't make it a bad album, but it has definitly dated. Lyrically the psychadelia doesn't sound fresh at all whereas an album like TFC which is full of musings on the human condition is fairly universal and not confined to a particular period in time. Musically TFC has little to tie it too the 80s (aside from Gilmour's guitar style in places and the general sound of Not Now John) and so has dated well regardless of if you think it is a good album or not.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I disagree entirely: albums don't date.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Go listen to a copy of Jeff's Guiatr Workshop by Jeff Beck then we can talk about it
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

David Smith wrote:
Duckboy wrote:TFC doesnt age because musically it was never a good album. Something that was terrible in the first place will be terrible forever. And if we're talking about the lyrics becoming dated there really arent any that do from piper.
Disagree entirely with this. The reason one album has dated worse than the other is that Piper uses a lot more the cliches from it's period and just sounds like an album that could only have come out of the sixties in much the same way SGT. Peppers does. It doesn't make it a bad album, but it has definitly dated. Lyrically the psychadelia doesn't sound fresh at all whereas an album like TFC which is full of musings on the human condition is fairly universal and not confined to a particular period in time. Musically TFC has little to tie it too the 80s (aside from Gilmour's guitar style in places and the general sound of Not Now John) and so has dated well regardless of if you think it is a good album or not.
I didnt say piper didnt age. I said it didnt age lyrically which i dont think it does. Psychedelic rock bands nowadays still write in a similar way. Also I dont find TFC lyrically fresh.
When you listen to TFC do you think "This was good back in the '80s but now..."? That to me is what it means to call something dated.
Musically piper probably does it to a lot of people. I doubt TFC does. so musically yes it is dated and TFC not but only because i doubt anyones thinking it used to sound good lol. Im not sure im getting what i mean across well but oh well.
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

Piper sounds like some geeky drug music that can only be appreciated while ruining your brain on acid. It doesnt hold up for crap which is why it doesnst sell for crap.

TFC ages well...its an intellectual album. If you get it...you get it. If you dont, go back to school or something. :lol:
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

kitkat wrote:Piper sounds like some geeky drug music that can only be appreciated while ruining your brain on acid. It doesnt hold up for crap which is why it doesnst sell for crap.

TFC ages well...its an intellectual album. If you get it...you get it. If you dont, go back to school or something. :lol:
Yet another subjective personal opinion offered as fact. :roll:
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Vlad The Impaler wrote:
kitkat wrote:Piper sounds like some geeky drug music that can only be appreciated while ruining your brain on acid. It doesnt hold up for crap which is why it doesnst sell for crap.

Yet another subjective personal opinion offered as fact. :roll:
Should really add an IMO there :)