Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
75%
20%
2%
1%
1- Worst
1%

Total votes: 142

drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here

Post by drafsack »

This album is great you really get that feeling of absence. I'd heard Shine on live sometime before and I have to say I wasn't disappointed with the studio version. Listening to it brings back some very happy memories - and a couple of sad ones.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

WYWH was actually the last P.F´s album I liked, bought it the day it was released and overplayed it too (for a good reason). 5/5
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

5/5

1. Gilmour sings the title track like it's 4 am and it's his 20th take. One of the most beautiful songs ever.
2. With SOYCD, they deliver the ultimate space rock jam while denying (in the press) that they play space rock. Reverse psychology! Hilarious.
C. Have a Cigar has kick ass guitar.
D. Great lyrics all around.
5. Overplayed on FM Radio. Who listens to that anymore, anyway?
romdos
Embryo
Embryo

Post by romdos »

Like so many others have said... this is my favorite PF Album. I feel it is the pinacle of their efforts beginning with AHM and culminating with WYWH... as much as I love the band, I don't think they ever again came close to achieving the beauty they did on this record.
Zack
Knife
Knife

Post by Zack »

romdos wrote:I don't think they ever again came close to achieving the beauty they did on this record.
Agree with this.

Parts of the Wall are very beautiful too. True story: when I was in high school my mother walked into my room while I was playing "Mother" and she said how pretty it sounded. "Just listen," I told her, so she sat down on the bed until it was over, and she started to laugh uproariously. "That guy's WAY overdue to see his therapist," she said.
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

Zack wrote: True story: when I was in high school my mother walked into my room while I was playing "Mother" and she said how pretty it sounded. "Just listen," I told her, so she sat down on the bed until it was over, and she started to laugh uproariously. "That guy's WAY overdue to see his therapist," she said.
:lol: :lol: I think my mother would have said the same thing.

At first I voted 4. Then I remember the day I bought the album it was in cassette tape form, My friends and I rode all over the country side with the stereo blasting out these great songs, we were all blown away. And later when I got home with it and had a chance to critically listen to it on the really great home system I had at the time. I was blown away again. Even at my age I realized how far they had come.
So on further reflection I have to give it a 5. In many ways they were at their best.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Ahhh yes... nothing like listening to a cassette tape in a HI-FI home audio system.... is like being surrounded in inmaculate waves of white hiss!!! :smt020
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

danielcaux wrote:Ahhh yes... nothing like listening to a cassette tape in a HI-FI home audio system.... is like being surrounded in inmaculate waves of white hiss!!! :smt020
:lol:
Hey, it was state of the art stuff at the time. 8)
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

My friend Karen gave this album to me for my birthday in Grade 12. It was the third PF album I had heard (after Meddle and Umma Gumma). I was truly moved by it's intense beauty and sadness. The sadness and the notion of absences was underlined even more after a tragedy that same year. We used to go over to my friend Peter's house and his mother would make us cookies. She was a really nice, but troubled woman, and she took her own life that year. After the funeral, we gathered together with Peter and we all listened to this album. I especially remember when the song Wish You Were Here came on, bringing tears to all our eyes, and I came to truly understand what it meant, even if it was, perhaps, only my own personal understanding. My only complaint about the album is that I find the lyrics to Welcome to the Machine to be a little lame (though musically it's brilliant). But the lyrics to Shine On and WYWH are some of the best that Roger ever wrote. 5/5
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

My first Pink Floyd album, back in 1986.

Today, I think WYWH was a sort of little letdown after Dark Side.
Off Course, it is still great album but I think both Dark Side and Animals are better.

kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

Best song imo is Have a Ceeeegar.

Great album but as far as the holy 5 goes...here is my list in order of greatness:

The Wall
Darkside and Animals
TFC
WYWH
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

I can only think in terms of the impact Pink Floyd made on music with every album they made. At the time that their albums were released, they eclipsed all of the music around them.

Wish You Were Here instantly transports me to a convertible on the Snake River with lot's of good acid. I can't think of any band beside Floyd that can send me back in time so quickly and clearly.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I love this album. I have listen to some songs of this album with my mother in the car too. I love the song Have a Cigar the best but they are all classics though.
luciferSam
Embryo
Embryo

Post by luciferSam »

Although I am not a big fan about this album, it could be interesting in a SACD format. I thought they did an amazing job for DSOTM.
Any news on that front?
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

luciferSam wrote:Although I am not a big fan about this album, it could be interesting in a SACD format. I thought they did an amazing job for DSOTM.
Any news on that front?
Nope. SACD seems to be a dying format. Maybe they will see how blu-ray / DVD-a lasts. I know the cover art was made and a release date announced long ago, and maybe even a mix finished, but...nothing.