Nick Mason Vs British National Party

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.

How racist are you?

1 - Not Racist
43%
29%
21%
No votes
5 - Racist
7%

Total votes: 14

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nick Mason Vs British National Party

Post by Keith Jordan »

I was reading the Times this morning and there was a story in there about the Featured Artists Coalition being against the British National Party.

The FAC have members including David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Blur and more.

The Brisish National Party are a bunch of nationalist, racist Nazis.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 374036.ece

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a1573 ... music.html
PA wrote:Members of Blur and Pink Floyd are demanding that the British National Party stop selling their music to raise campaign funds.

The far-right party is selling a range of folk albums on its website, but many of the musicians featured claim they are powerless to stop their work financing the party.

Musician Billy Bragg, drummers Dave Rowntree from Blur and Nick Mason from Pink Floyd have teamed up with the Musicians' Union and Featured Artists' Coalition, saying they object to the BNP's "politics and morals".
Telegraph wrote:The far-right party is selling a range of folk albums on its website, but many of the musicians featured claim they are powerless to stop their work financing the party.

Billy Bragg, drummers Dave Rowntree from Blur and Nick Mason from Pink Floyd have teamed up with the Musicians' Union and Featured Artists' Coalition, saying they object to the BNP's "politics and morals".

In a letter published in today's Times newspaper, the group said: "In the lead up to the European elections, it has come to our attention that the BNP is selling compilation CDs through its website in order to raise funds for campaigning.

"Many of the musicians featured on these have no legal right to object to their music being used in this way.

"We would, on behalf of our joint membership of over 31,000 members, like to have our opposition to the BNP's politics and morals formally noted."

The BNP's commercial partner, Excalibur, sells a range of compilation CDs with titles such as Proud Heritage, Rule Britannia and The White Cliffs of Dover.

An album called West Wind, written by party leader Nick Griffin and featuring songs including Nothing Bloody Works and Colour, is also among those being sold.

One of the artists featured on a CD of Irish folk music, Paddy Gordon from Ulster band Brier, said he was furious to find that some of his music was on the site.

He told The Times: "I got an email from a friend saying, 'Have you seen where your music is for sale?' My initial reaction was shock, now I am very angry."

Mr Gordon said the songs, included on A Feast of Irish Folk, were love songs with no political links.

A BNP spokesman said the party had no plans to remove any of the music.

He told The Times: "They've already made their money haven't they? Once that music's gone through a distributor. They're politicising themselves to a high degree by doing this and we wouldn't really be concerned by that. It's up to us what we sell - we're not changing.

"There's no suggestion through this that artists support the BNP or otherwise. They're barking up the wrong tree to be honest."
mosespa

Re: Nick Mason Vs British National Party

Post by mosespa »

I think that having a prejudice against someone over something that they have no control over is retarded.

'nuff said.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Well said mossy.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

They probably feel they have to be seen to kick up a fuss about it, just in case they're accused of being racist.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

mosespa wrote:I think that having a prejudice against someone over something that they have no control over is retarded.

'nuff said.
* opens a can of worms just for the sake of it *

I dunno, i'd say it's fair enough to have a prejudice towards pedophiles. Sure, between thought and expression lies a lifetime. But in the hypothetical situation where an open pedo, who has never downloaded in image or done anything beyond the level of the occassional solo session over the thought of a kid, is one of two choices for a childminder i know what i'd tell him
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

mosespa wrote:I think that having a prejudice against someone over something that they have no control over is retarded.

'nuff said.
Even gender??
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Unfortunatley current policies promote rasism. The government seem to spend more time and money on trying to prevent people like the Gurkhas, who have served this country, from being able to settle here than they spend on trying to prevent Illegal’s from getting in or repatronating those who are here illegally. no wonder the BNP in the Uk and other right wing parties in europe are on the rise - people are sick of seeing their standard of life dropping at the expence of illegals and asylum seekers.
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

You Euro dudes better get used to it.

As an intelligent casual observer, let me tell you what is going on in Euroland.

I dont know the BNP and I will take Keith's word that they are racist goons. But that is what happens when you attack free speech and free thought by attempting to ban politically incorrect speech.

From what I read, it has gotten so bad in Londonistan and other places of Europe that talking about how Islam treats women folk poorly is considered "hate speech" and is banned or something. Some Euro documentary guy was invited to speak to British Parliament and he was arrested and kicked out.....for his beliefs.

Meanwhile, while the formerly proud euro prissies are all bent out shape over people who consider the euro/american/anglo culture to be positive, the Islamic fascists have no such worries. They come into Europe, legally and illegally, and demand that their view of the world not be considered in a negative light. They use absurd hate speech legislation to bully those with opposing viewpoints and the prissies in Europe let them.

Meanwhile, the Euros are not even having enough children to keep their family lineage preserved. Its a fact that Euros of the Anglo variety are multiplying at like 1.4 children per couple. Obviously, that is non-sustaining. Meanwhile, the Islamists and other third world types are multiplying at 5 kids per couple. Euro has to allow immigaration from 3rd world muslim countries, with very different cultures, just to keep the population to keep the businesses going.

So, that is a stage for haters who are seriously pissed at being let down by those who should have at least let them speak.

Old Europe is dying and is being replaced by Islam-Europe. That will breed some of the more fascist types to come out of the woodshed.

But, not feel bad, the way things are going, the USA is only a good 40 years behind you.

We are all doomed.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

kitkat wrote:We are all doomed.
In general, I am inclined to agree. :lol:

The birth rate in this country needs looking at otherwise our country and heritage will simply dissappear along with Atlantis!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Unrelated, but I love the poll for this thread.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I've always wondered if racists would ever flat out admit they are racist? Or if they word like 'nationalist' instead, saying 'i'm not racist, BUT...' or something
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I think that this is a really interesting topic. Prejudices are very hard to "get over" in practice. Sure most people say they aren't racist, but what are their first impressions of people? I think that although most people despise the idea of racism, most treat people differently depending on race, gender, age, income level, perceived hygiene (you stink = you are not smart), etc.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Last year i wrote a report for psychology under the title of Is Stereotype Activation inevitable wherein i recieved a 20 out of 20 for it (a first class honours grade if ever there was one). Science has time and time proven that activation of stereotypes is inevitable as long as the subject has knowledge of said stereotypes. In some experiments the participants attempts to control activation found them exepmlifying further discriminatory behaviours, with the attempt to supress resulting in a preoccupation. The best explanation i can think of is the cognitive miser model wherein because congitive resources are limited then an adaptrive mind is one that will use mental shortcuts so as to save resources for other aspects of the environment. However, in saying that it is also worth noting that an adaptive mind is not one which would allow itself to fall victim to automated behaviours and so after the initial activation most of us will be able to override the first impression with a more person based one as opposed to allowing the stereotype to stick. All in all stereotypes activation is inevitable as long as the enivronment promotes the continuation of said stereotypes (and i can refer anyone to a variety of very interesting reports on that matter) meaning that yeah, everyone is to an extent immediatly racist, BUT if the person is being taken on anything beyond face value (like it becomes a proper encounter or interaction) then most of us will be able to override stereotypes. As such racism need not get in the way of our relationships, though it will be there at first.